ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

sugan Male

#191 Old 08-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

realise there are 2 type of CCA, one is hall and one more is by nus.
In what sense do they differ?
________
Wellbutrin Lawsuites

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male

#192 Old 08-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
realise there are 2 type of CCA, one is hall and one more is by nus.
In what sense do they differ?
Only hallers are allowed in hall CCA. eg. Temasek Hall CCA only for Temasek hallers.

NUS CCA is open to all NUS students.
evonneching Female
Less Junior Member

#193 Old 09-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

NUS ranks high in engineering!
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_653097.html
jingyi Female
Less Junior Member

#194 Old 09-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Have anyone here got shortlisted for interview for the coming week?
jingyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#195 Old 11-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Shan Shung View Post
Halls have more enriching life and activities compared to residences. Most will end in PGP residence. Halls only admit students who will contribute to them. Example, Temasek and Eusoff are sports halls so being good in sports will boost your chances of living in halls. Hallers (people staying in halls) live like a close-knitted family. Hallers can join their hall committees and participate in hall activities. Hall life can be fun albeit busy. But if you balance your time properly, it shouldn't be much of a problem. There are double rooms in some halls and every haller has to subscribe to the meal plans in their respective halls. I would suggest freshmen to stay in halls (at least for their first year) to experience hall life.

Since all international students are guaranteed two year on-campus accommodation, the rest who din qualify for halls will stay in PGP residence. Residence has less activities and is much quieter than halls. It is actually more conducive for studying. But that doesn't mean that residents don't have any life. We do meet up for meals, have fun, etc. We can still join other sports club or interest groups under NUS sports club. No meal plans for residents.
Does that mean halls are better than residences in terms of quality of life and treatment they get from the uni?

Btw, will the hallers like, look down on residences?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
kai_xxx Male
Super Junior Member

#196 Old 11-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

hello guys, i am stpm leaver and applying for medicine in nus
my results are :
pa A
maths T B
chem A
bio A
muet 241

i know i have a really slim chance to get enrolled in the course but still i did not give up in trying~ i just hope i am called for the interview~~

for your information, i have a senior who had scored 3.92 with 4 subjects in stpm got enrolled for nus medicine. so i guess besides your academic and curricular qualification, interview and the writing essays are extremely crucial for their assessment...

btw anyone has already been informed shortlisted?? very nervous about the result and oncoming interviews & tests
kai_xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
cycycy Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#197 Old 11-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_xxx View Post
my results are :
pa A
maths T B
chem A
bio A
muet 241

i know i have a really slim chance to get enrolled in the course but still i did not give up in trying~ i just hope i am called for the interview~~

for your information, i have a senior who had scored 3.92 with 4 subjects in stpm got enrolled for nus medicine. so i guess besides your academic and curricular qualification, interview and the writing essays are extremely crucial for their assessment...

btw anyone has already been informed shortlisted?? very nervous about the result and oncoming interviews & tests
How was your senior's cocurricular achievement like?
Emily Dickinson~

* Blog * Facebook *
Once an Ausmatian, forever an Ausmatian. Ausmatians for life! (:

cycycy is offline   Reply With Quote
kai_xxx Male
Super Junior Member

#198 Old 11-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycycy View Post
How was your senior's cocurricular achievement like?
Well, i am not sure about that. but i think she didn't have international olympiads...
kai_xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male

#199 Old 12-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Does that mean halls are better than residences in terms of quality of life and treatment they get from the uni?

Btw, will the hallers like, look down on residences?
Nope. It's not necessary better. There are pros and cons to living in halls and residences. But that doesn't mean that you will lose out just because you don't get to live in halls. Both hallers and residents are treated the same by uni. Just that hallers have more activities/happenings and they are much closer with their fellow hallers. They On the other hand, residents have more personal time, privacy and flexibility in managing their lives. Again, you can join other clubs/societies to experience campus life. It is up to you to decide what you want in your uni life.

People move in and out of residences all year round. Some do so several times in their uni life. There's nothing to be ashamed of being a resident. By the way, if you wish to experience hall life but was not shortlisted for any hall, you can still apply for it in year 2 onwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Li Shan Shung For This Useful Post:
jingyi Female
Less Junior Member

#200 Old 12-04-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_xxx View Post
my results are :
pa A
maths T B
chem A
bio A
muet 241

Me too applied for medic.....not yet got any reply from NUS.....my friends who applied for dentistry and another one for pharm (1st choice), Medic (2nd) both had informed by NUS about the interviews and test dates. This weekend......

And the latter friend actually got herself a medic interview rather than a pharmacy interview (in fact, they don't have interview for pharm course).....

Do u have any friends who applied solely for medic and got an interview?? Thx for answering in advance!!
jingyi is offline   Reply With Quote