ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Engineering Course in Malaysia.

View Poll Results: If you were to take Engineering course, would you choose UTP or other IPTA's?
Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP) 6 50.00%
Other IPTA's. (USM, UM, UKM etc) Please specify. 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 18-04-2011 Default Engineering Course in Malaysia.

So, which university in Malaysia offers the best Engineering courses?

Some say Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)..

What say you?

Both IPTS and IPTA.
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#2 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Moderator Note: Added the word "course" to the thread title for clarity purpose.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
AlternateF4 Male

#3 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

I think MMU and Utar's good. Nottingham, monash if you don't mind the money
AlternateF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#4 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

It depends on what you are looking for. I need to rush home now, so I'll come back to this thread later.
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
It depends on what you are looking for. I need to rush home now, so I'll come back to this thread later.
Preferably Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering..

Btw I'm a STPM leaver, i got UTP offer for interview.

I'm wondering if i get engineering courses in UTP and local uni, like USM or UKM or UM, which should I go?
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#6 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Preferably Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering..

Btw I'm a STPM leaver, i got UTP offer for interview.

I'm wondering if i get engineering courses in UTP and local uni, like USM or UKM or UM, which should I go?
Hmmm... if you are thinking about Aeronautical Engineering then UTP is definitely out of the question. If you are thinking about Mechanical Engineering, then UTP is an option.

Look, first of all, you need to decide whether you want to go into an IPTA or an IPTS. If you were to ask me to choose between an IPTA and IPTS, and if I have to fund my own studies, I would stick to IPTA. The reason? Well, there isn't much difference in the course syllabus for the same degree in different universities. Whether you graduate from USM, UKM, UM or UTP, your degree is still a Bachelor's degree which is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Council and the Washington Accord. Besides, I would enjoy much lower tuition fees if I study in an IPTA.

However, options may change if I am offered a scholarship or a sponsorship. And if I do have the plan to one day venture into the oil and gas industry, then I would consider UTP. This university has subjects related to the oil and gas industry that are offered as a university requirement. The purpose of having these subjects is to expose students to the world of oil and gas. You will not be an expert in oil and gas as a Mechanical Engineer, but you wouldn't be so lost when you meet people well-versed in it and speaking in oil-and-gas terms.

I am unsure about IPTA, but UTP is also well known for the marketability of its students. Big names like Shell, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, etc. often come to UTP during its career exhibitions to promote their companies, and at the same time perform on-the-spot interviews to students who are seeking for a job placement after graduation, or just for internship. If you want oil-and-gas companies to be an option for your future career, then you may want to consider UTP. Of course, this doesn't mean that as a USM, UKM or UM graduate, you can't go into oil and gas.

So, what are your priorities, really?
Cactus Male

#7 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateF4 View Post
I think MMU and Utar's good. Nottingham, monash if you don't mind the money
Is Nottingham worth the money? People can say that the education quality is good, but how much better is it compared to other universities?

Hope somebody can offer some advice. Thanks.

Last edited by Cactus; 18-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#8 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter whether you study engineering in Malaysia, in Australia, in the UK, in Singapore, in the US, or anywhere else for that matter. If it's just the undergraduate degree that you are looking for, all are the same. Perhaps the way lecturers teach will differ from one institution to another, and if you were to study abroad, you would definitely have a different experience as compared to those who studied locally.

But if postgraduate studies in the future isn't want you have in mind at all, then perhaps going abroad would be a very much welcomed opportunity (that is, if you have the money or the sponsorship); it may very well be your once in a lifetime opportunity. Otherwise, it's never too late to go abroad when you want to do postgraduate studies, and it makes better economical sense.
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

This is probably just an advertisment-.-
Less Junior Member

#10 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

@henry_yew:

Well... I don't know.. lol.. I think i prefer studying in IPTA..

Cause the UTP admission does not come with a scholarship, and i have to apply for it through external organisations or UTP.

And is it real that UTP has very few Chinese students? Besides studying I hope i can find better social group as well...