ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 18-06-2011 Default UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Anyone heard of this rumour?

I'm not sure if it's real or not yet so i googled and found 2 blogs probably belong to utp students saying that it was announced officially that the current universiti teknologi petronas will change its name to universiti teknologi petroleum.

However i can't find any official announcement on the website yet..

Anyone can clarify this?

Cause if they're really changing it, then a mechanical engineer graduate from a PETROLEUM university is really no good.
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#2 Old 18-06-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Anyone heard of this rumour?

I'm not sure if it's real or not yet so i googled and found 2 blogs probably belong to utp students saying that it was announced officially that the current universiti teknologi petronas will change its name to universiti teknologi petroleum.

However i can't find any official announcement on the website yet..

Anyone can clarify this?

Cause if they're really changing it, then a mechanical engineer graduate from a PETROLEUM university is really no good.
I strongly resent the last statement. Just because a mechanical engineering graduate comes from a "Petroleum" university does not imply that that graduate is no good.

There is no official announcement on the change of name, as far as I know, and even if there are intentions to change the name of the university, that is not likely to take place anytime soon.

It has always been of the country's aspirations to have an oil-and-gas university, because the oil-and-gas business proves to be our core strength.

However, even if the name of the university is changed to some other name (I take that "Universiti Teknologi 'Petroleum'" is just a generic name for now) to reflect its strength in the oil-and-gas sector, this is hardly any basis to claim that engineering graduates of other departments (i.e. civil, mechanical, electrical & electronics, etc.) are no good.

Besides, there are certain regulations that must be followed before a name change can take place, e.g. include the statement "(formerly known as [insert original name here])" for a defined period of time in official documents, etc.
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 15-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Hey sorry for not replying earlier.

From what I've heard, PETRONAS is not going to sponsor UTP already after the name change. So UTP will be independent?

And, some of the big oil and gas companies go to UTP to find fresh graduates to work for them right?

I wonder, to what extent will it be affected after UTP is no longer associated with PETRONAS?

I mean, since they came to UTP to find fresh graduates because of their network cooperation with PETRONAS right?
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#4 Old 16-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Quote:
Hey sorry for not replying earlier.

From what I've heard, PETRONAS is not going to sponsor UTP already after the name change. So UTP will be independent?

And, some of the big oil and gas companies go to UTP to find fresh graduates to work for them right?

I wonder, to what extent will it be affected after UTP is no longer associated with PETRONAS?

I mean, since they came to UTP to find fresh graduates because of their network cooperation with PETRONAS right?
I'm not sure what you meant by "PETRONAS is not going to sponsor UTP", but yes, UTP should not be depending on PETRONAS for any funding in the future. It's time that UTP stand on its own feet. It's a move in the good way that UTP ought to be independent on its own.

Again, it's erroneous to say that oil-and-gas companies go to UTP to find fresh graduates to work just because the university is associated to PETRONAS. I am more confident that these companies take UTP graduates not because we are associated with PETRONAS, but rather because we have the quality that is expected from graduates in this university.

So what if UTP is not associated to PETRONAS? The university must still continue to strive to bring up standards, turn it into the university of choice for students, etc. etc. As oil and gas are one of the core strengths of Malaysia, it is only appropriate that we leverage this core strength by having a university which focuses primarily on the oil-and-gas industry.

Just because it is now an oil-and-gas university doesn't mean that the other engineering disciplines are no longer good. If your programme is good and your graduates are of good quality, it doesn't matter even if they graduate from Universiti Tan Ah Kao.

Last edited by henry_yew; 17-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to henry_yew For This Useful Post:
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Hmm.. so is it safe to assume that the only difference between other local IPTA's graduates and UTP graduates is that UTP graduates have more advantages/working opportunities in the oil and gas field?

I would like to know more about the advantages hold by UTP graduates compared to local IPTA's graduates.

I mean, would a company hire a UTP graduate rather than let's say, a UPM graduate in Mechanical Engineering?

If so, what are the reasons they choose the former and not the latter?
Assuming the name change effect is negligible..
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#6 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Quote:
Hmm.. so is it safe to assume that the only difference between other local IPTA's graduates and UTP graduates is that UTP graduates have more advantages/working opportunities in the oil and gas field?

I would like to know more about the advantages hold by UTP graduates compared to local IPTA's graduates.

I mean, would a company hire a UTP graduate rather than let's say, a UPM graduate in Mechanical Engineering?

If so, what are the reasons they choose the former and not the latter?
Assuming the name change effect is negligible..
Yes, you can say that UTP graduates are armed with knowledge about the oil-and-gas industry.

But no, just because you are a UTP graduate does not mean that you would stand a higher chance of getting hired, as compared to a UPM graduate of the same discipline.

No university can guarantee you a job - I believe all universities will agree on that. And no university can say that you will stand a higher chance to secure a job compared to a graduate from another university.

My point is that although employment may depend, to a very very limited extent, on which university you graduated from, employers ought to look beyond the university which the graduates come from. They would look into your curriculum vitae, your academic transcripts, your declared capabilities, interviews, etc. If, by any means, a company has blacklisted graduates from certain universities, that is most likely because the company has had enough bad experience from graduates of that university in certain aspects. However, I have not known of any of such cases, so I cannot comment.

My friend, in choosing a university to study in, it is not so much about the name. It is not so much about whether it is MIT or Cornell or Yale, but rather the strength of the faculty that you're looking for, and also the programme that you desire. At the end of the day, it is not really a comparison between you and a graduate from another university, but rather a struggle of your mind and your soul in order to achieve something meaningful to you.

If I were to look for a job now, I am quite certain that I won't lose out to graduates from UPM, UM, USM, UKM, etc. because I also know the people who can help me out: my lecturers, engineers during my internship days, etc. I can get people to vouch for me in my recommendations, and at the end of the day, I can be confident that I will succeed. Then again, graduates from UPM, UM, USM, UKM, etc. can also beat me in the search for a job if they have the qualifications, recommendations and qualities that a company is looking for.

It all boils down to you as the individual. When you are trying to apply for a job, you are not trying to sell the name of the university that you came from, but rather you are trying to sell yourself. You are trying to sell the idea that companies should hire you badly, and you must try to prove your worth so that they will buy your idea.

It may seem like I'm avoiding your question, but I'm trying to give you a different perspective of things. Rather than asking about whether you would have an upper hand if you go to UTP instead of UPM, you should be asking how you can carve a good future for yourself, regardless of which university you come from.
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

But the companies will surely have past experience about like "xxx university graduates tend to be more yyy than zzz university" right?

For example, USM UKM UM UPM graduates sure are expected to have more to offer than UMP UMS UMT graduates (in general).

Of course there are many cases of graduates that are better than those from* prestigious universities individually but the general "reputation" must be taken into consideration i presume?

Last edited by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya; 17-07-2011 at 07:04 PM.
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#8 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Quote:
But the companies will surely have past experience about like "xxx university graduates tend to be more yyy than zzz university" right?

For example, USM UKM UM UPM graduates sure are expected to have more to offer than UMP UMS UMT graduates (in general).

Of course there are many cases of graduates that are better than those more prestigious universities individually but the general "reputation" must be taken into consideration i presume?
That is just a generalization. There are no official statistics to prove this to be true. Don't forget that some universities like USM, UKM, UM and UPM are already established for such a long time. For the other universities that have just been in operation for a relatively shorter time, they would be able to show their worth as time goes by, that is IF they are constantly progressing.
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
That is just a generalization. There are no official statistics to prove this to be true. Don't forget that some universities like USM, UKM, UM and UPM are already established for such a long time. For the other universities that have just been in operation for a relatively shorter time, they would be able to show their worth as time goes by, that is IF they are constantly progressing.
Oh i see.. hmm because now i'm i the midst of trying to change my UPU offer from ekonomi to mech. eng. in UPM...

I don't know to stay in UTP or to go UPM if i actually am able to change it... as money is one of my factor, i'm a private student in UTP..
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#10 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: UTP => Universiti Teknologi Petroleum?!

Quote:
Oh i see.. hmm because now i'm i the midst of trying to change my UPU offer from ekonomi to mech. eng. in UPM...

I don't know to stay in UTP or to go UPM if i actually am able to change it... as money is one of my factor, i'm a private student in UTP..
That is best for you to decide on your own. Consider all factors and think things over properly. The problem about Malaysian education is that you don't get to explore your options before deciding whether you want to go for Engineering or Economics. You have to decide your major already.

You might want to ask yourself whether you would see yourself more as an economist or as an engineer. Do what you are interested in, not what the trend is.