ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

BA to MSc?

Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 17-07-2011 Default BA to MSc?

I wonder can someone with Bachelor Degree in Arts do Master in Science?

This is because i got IPTA offer to study Ekonomi in UPM, whilst i'm from Science Stream in STPM (Physics).

Is it possible for me to change into science stream afterwards?

If possible, will it be hard without degree knowledge in the course like Mechanical Engineering?

I've heard it is possible to cross stream from Science to Arts but not the opposite.

Besides that, people nowadays always say engineering will give you a better head start of life, engineering has higher pay, etc etc.

So what about Economics students? That surely doesn't mean they'll fail their life right....? Or will they struggle harder to become rich compared to engineering graduates?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
poteryu Male
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

another $$motivated graduate
poteryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poteryu View Post
hey, thanks. I'm undergraduate btw.

__

Also, is the knowledge in Economics enough to help a lot in managing *and expanding a company if i am to become a business man? Are they relevant?

or Business Admin would be more suitable?
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#4 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

Quote:
Is it a crime to be motivated by money? =/
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

I heard from an older person that science stream qualifications normally work for others while the arts are bosses/ their own boss, and I see this to be quite true. Of course it depends on which course you're taking. Discredit my opinions though because I'm just an A-levels student not in a position to advise you, and secondly it's JUST an opinion, no offence intended, science streamers have their perks too, plus I myself was a science streamer in SPM.
vanderyow is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderyow View Post
I heard from an older person that science stream qualifications normally work for others while the arts are bosses/ their own boss, and I see this to be quite true. Of course it depends on which course you're taking. Discredit my opinions though because I'm just an A-levels student not in a position to advise you, and secondly it's JUST an opinion, no offence intended, science streamers have their perks too, plus I myself was a science streamer in SPM.
I also thought of that too.. I felt like those studying management will actually stand on top.. again it's just my personal feeling, no offence to anyone..but i guess it's hard to be the one in charge controlling the workers i presume?

Hmm.. what course do you aim to pursue after A-lvls?
joan2468 Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#7 Old 17-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Is it a crime to be motivated by money? =/
Well no, but it really shouldn't be the only motivation - it's really a question of whether or not you can last out a course (and subsequently a job) you actually have very little to no interest in purely for the sake of money. People often say it is much easier to do well at something if you actually enjoy it, and this is very true - but of course, if money alone is already enough of a motivation to spur you on, good for you, I almost wish I was the same.
joan2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joan2468 For This Useful Post:
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#8 Old 18-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

Quote:
I would like to echo Young's question: is it a crime to be motivated by money? If an individual is motivated by money to do postgraduate studies, is that the wrong type of mentality?

It's a yes, and no.

I say no, it is not wrong, because (let's be real) we all desire to live a more comfortable life, we desire to have the capacity to own more assets, and where do these come from? They don't come from the sky just like that, they have to be purchased. And what do we use in order to make a purchase? We use money (unless you still subscribe to the traditional barter system).

But to make more money, people are inclined to believe that we need to have more knowledge, and that knowledge (or advanced knowledge) is the key towards greater personal wealth. Because of that, they are motivated to further their studies, get more knowledge, apply them in a creative and innovative manner, and generate more income.

But postgraduate studies is not about making more money the moment you hit doctoral level. Although getting a PhD can still help you generate more wealth, money alone is insufficient to motivate you for further studies, because in the doctoral level, novelty of your knowledge is expected. When you have a PhD, it is not expected of you to make big money, but it is expected of you to contribute back to the body of knowledge. Getting a PhD isn't about getting the "Dr." prefix - it is a recognition that you have contributed significantly to the body of knowledge in some form of research.

Of course, what I just said isn't just applicable to PhD candidates, but also to those pursuing a Master's degree. Then again, to brand people pursuing postgraduate studies as being motivated by money is inappropriate, if not a crime.

Back to the subject of whether a BA can pursue an MSc, it really depends on the type of programme and the course. There isn't a hard and fast rule to say that a BA cannot pursue an MSc course, but you really need to make sure first and check out from the universities that you are interested in. I cannot say that you can pursue an MSc with a BA degree, but I cannot say that you can't, too. You will have to check the requirements with the universities that you are interested to pursue the Master's programme with.

But, it is definitely possible for a student with a BEng. in Chemical Engineering to pursue MSc in Mechanical Engineering. We also had cases of students with BEng. in Civil Engineering doing MSc in Petroleum Engineering, and also one with a BEng. in Chemical and Environmental Engineering doing MSc in Environmental Management. It's really dependent on the faculty you are applying to.
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 18-07-2011 Default Re: BA to MSc?

Hmm.. it is possible to do MA from BSc right?

It has always been our perception that Science > Arts. I wonder to what extent does this stay true.