ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

acgerlok7 Male
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

#61 Old 19-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
Wow !!! I've also thought of studying there too !!! Are you on a scholarship or your own funding ? And yeah, may I ask how about applications to Australia universities ? Is there like something like UCAS for the UK universities ? And how is financial aid programs coming along there ? Appreciate the info in advance
oh...for application into australian universities are much much more easier than UK or USA. probably you shall need to do your IELTS and get your AS/A2 or your predicted A2 grades then you are off to apply already. do try to look out for those fairs like the IDP education fair that they held constantly throughout the year...this is because if you apply during these fairs, your application fees are waived thus saving you a few hundred bucks..plus you get to see most of the edu insitution eg Monash, ANU, Uni queesland uni melbourne and many more at one go...more chances for you to question them and more options to choose and enquire from.
acgerlok7 is offline   Reply With Quote
adele123 Female

#62 Old 19-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

on scholarship...

applying to aussie uni is easier if you do it with IDP or other similar agencies.

there's undergraduate scholarship but not many... some are 50% and etc...
Slightly Senior Member

#63 Old 20-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:
Exactly ! It's the theories that have made me find a passion for it Please don't tell me that passion for you died down after the years I don't really mind the graphs. I've already drawn so many in class, that I'm too used to it already And yeah, to me, it's surprising to me, just how much I took for granted how simple our economic system works domestically and internationally. Economics has shown me just how diverse the world works with capital, and individual behavior with their income and purchases.
I would like to give a little input on job prospect and the comparison between Economics and other majors.

From what you've written in the quote, it gives me a feeling that you're quite a big picture person. If that is true, then your interest in Economics is geared towards Macroeconomics. If you like to learn about how different governments in the world work with their capital, International Finance is the sub-macroeconomics concentration you might be interested in.

Having said that, I believe if you really pursue this line of study and assuming that you excel, and you continued to like it, your job prospect can cover, but not limited to, regulation of the economy. Your most related career would be to work with various national or international economic institutions, such as Bank Negara, Economics Planning Division in the government sector, Khazanah Nasional, Bursa Malaysia locally, and World Bank, IMF, ASEAN internationally. Etc. I would like to add that Economics degree is quite competitive in these areas, as there are very little substitutes for an economics degree in the areas of regulation of economy.

I understand that your have expressed discomfort in working with regulating policies. But given that you're still young and still am unsure about your future, I recommend that you don't discount anything at this point and keep your options open.

If you have mentioned that you're interested in (or you may later on find it interesting. Depends.), for example, the way firms allocate their resources to meet an optimal output (Business Economics), monopolists, oligopolists, monopsonists (Industrial Organization), the supply/demand intuition behind stock, bonds, and derivatives(Financial Economics), then as you travel down the path, your immediate related career path might be slightly different. You might be more involved in the industry later, and here's where Economics has a slight disadvantage.

Unlike the Economy regulatory sector, Economics major is not unique for entrance to the industry. As you travel along this path, you will be competing with people holding BBA (Bachelor's of Business Administration), whose studies almost specializes in running businesses; people holding finance, actuarial, accounting majors, whose study deals with flows of business capital and risk management directly; people holding Engineering degree, whose study deals with the operations of business directly. Your Economics degree will lose its competitiveness in terms of specialization, hence putting you at a disadvantage. In this sense, it's best to "top up" your economics with another specialization, (finance, business, mathematics etc) depending on what you want to do above.

I guess the nutshell is really what path do you see yourself taking actually. I would recommend you pursuing Economics since you've expressed interest in the theories. If you're into regulation, then pure economics is worth considering. Nevertheless if you're into industry, a top-up is suggested. It's really up to you.

Although, I must say that my experience with Economics is limited to just holding a degree with it as one of the majors and observing the local job market. You might want to talk to more people to gain different insights.
frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#64 Old 20-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryu View Post
I would like to give a little input on job prospect and the comparison between Economics and other majors.

From what you've written in the quote, it gives me a feeling that you're quite a big picture person. If that is true, then your interest in Economics is geared towards Macroeconomics. If you like to learn about how different governments in the world work with their capital, International Finance is the sub-macroeconomics concentration you might be interested in.

Having said that, I believe if you really pursue this line of study and assuming that you excel, and you continued to like it, your job prospect can cover, but not limited to, regulation of the economy. Your most related career would be to work with various national or international economic institutions, such as Bank Negara, Economics Planning Division in the government sector, Khazanah Nasional, Bursa Malaysia locally, and World Bank, IMF, ASEAN internationally. Etc. I would like to add that Economics degree is quite competitive in these areas, as there are very little substitutes for an economics degree in the areas of regulation of economy.

I understand that your have expressed discomfort in working with regulating policies. But given that you're still young and still am unsure about your future, I recommend that you don't discount anything at this point and keep your options open.

If you have mentioned that you're interested in (or you may later on find it interesting. Depends.), for example, the way firms allocate their resources to meet an optimal output (Business Economics), monopolists, oligopolists, monopsonists (Industrial Organization), the supply/demand intuition behind stock, bonds, and derivatives(Financial Economics), then as you travel down the path, your immediate related career path might be slightly different. You might be more involved in the industry later, and here's where Economics has a slight disadvantage.

Unlike the Economy regulatory sector, Economics major is not unique for entrance to the industry. As you travel along this path, you will be competing with people holding BBA (Bachelor's of Business Administration), whose studies almost specializes in running businesses; people holding finance, actuarial, accounting majors, whose study deals with flows of business capital and risk management directly; people holding Engineering degree, whose study deals with the operations of business directly. Your Economics degree will lose its competitiveness in terms of specialization, hence putting you at a disadvantage. In this sense, it's best to "top up" your economics with another specialization, (finance, business, mathematics etc) depending on what you want to do above.

I guess the nutshell is really what path do you see yourself taking actually. I would recommend you pursuing Economics since you've expressed interest in the theories. If you're into regulation, then pure economics is worth considering. Nevertheless if you're into industry, a top-up is suggested. It's really up to you.

Although, I must say that my experience with Economics is limited to just holding a degree with it as one of the majors and observing the local job market. You might want to talk to more people to gain different insights.
Thanks for the wonderful input Haha, but sadly I've only just about finished my Microeconomics (Supply,Demand,Firm,Welfare,etc). My first Macroeconomics topic will be taught next month, Keynesian and then International Trade. Yeah, I figured that a stand-alone Economics degree will not be very appealing, the problem is which to double major ? And the problem is also financing, because a double degree does take significantly longer and it may be tough to balance out my subjects to study. Another friend recommended that if I still want Economics, go ahead and top it up with an MBA just to be safe, since even he is doing for the sake of his job futures. I may consider either Economics with Finance (until I know more about it),
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
wookiezzz Male
Super Junior Member

#65 Old 20-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:

1. I don't plan to study overseas, but I will consider twinning. My A-level results won't really help me get a place in any IPTA. So, I need to ask, which local private institution offers a good economics degree ? Prefer to know about those under external degree programs by overseas universities.

2. I have set my secondary option as Singapore. Which is a reputable university I can study in for a degree in economics ? And will my Cambridge A-level be enough as the entry requirements ? Scholarship info would also be useful.

3. Is the difference between a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts in Economics really significant ? In another forum, I was told both have almost equal exposure to the needed mathematics for studying Economics, with the former emphasizing more in order to study Econometric.

4. Are the prospects of an Economics degree profitable in Malaysia ? Or will I need to seriously consider working in the public sector or even overseas ?

5. Are there any seniors in this forum who has taken or are undergoing a degree in Economics ? I would like to ask you guys personally the experience of studying it

Thanks
1.) There are only a few private institution that offers a standalone economics degree. Most notably HELP and Nottingham. In HELP, it is an external program linked with UoL. But these external program can be actually bought from the UoL instead of going to HELP. Therefore you are really paying HELP their lectures and facilities. On top of that, you might able to see that HELP advertise LSE along in their leaflet. Don't be fooled by it, they just put there just to deceive people that makes you think you can transfer to LSE. Yes, you do have the chance.. but it's really slim. UPDATE: You can't transfer to LSE's Economics degrees. =)

The Econ degree in Nottingham is solely by Nottingham itself. Call me a snob, I chose Econ in Nottingham mainly because of their high minimum requirement which is ABB.. it's pretty high as compare to other institutions. On top of that, i didn't wanna waste my hard earnt As =PPP. In courses like economics, you learn not only from your lecturers, but from your peers as well. So I suppose that requirement would squeeze out, though not all, idiots.

2.) Googlable

3.) Again, Googlable.. but yeah, they are almost the same.

4.) It is a high respected in developed country. But in developing countries which Malaysia is one of it, they tend to lean towards to material developments. However, since the financial sector is expanding, Economist would be a great use in near future (plus there are really too many Engineer Students imo)

5.) =)

Last edited by wookiezzz; 20-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
wookiezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Seiryu
Slightly Senior Member

#66 Old 20-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful input Haha, but sadly I've only just about finished my Microeconomics (Supply,Demand,Firm,Welfare,etc). My first Macroeconomics topic will be taught next month, Keynesian and then International Trade. Yeah, I figured that a stand-alone Economics degree will not be very appealing, the problem is which to double major ? And the problem is also financing, because a double degree does take significantly longer and it may be tough to balance out my subjects to study. Another friend recommended that if I still want Economics, go ahead and top it up with an MBA just to be safe, since even he is doing for the sake of his job futures. I may consider either Economics with Finance (until I know more about it),
I think you will be able to make an informed decision. One last word of advice, assume MBA doesn't exist at this point. It's a degree mostly designed to serve people who are already in the workforce, and not for students like yourself who are considering an undergraduate major.
Slightly Senior Member

#67 Old 20-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryu View Post
I think you will be able to make an informed decision. One last word of advice, assume MBA doesn't exist at this point. It's a degree mostly designed to serve people who are already in the workforce, and not for students like yourself who are considering an undergraduate major.
I know, I'm just considering an MBA after landing few years of job experience. Then, I will ask for study leave from my company if it allows. Hopefully they will fund, because I've heard many companies still fund fully or partially for the studies of their promising employees.
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
siewmeiloh Female
Super Junior Member

#68 Old 28-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Hi guys. Same as Frostbyte13, I've set my first option on Singapore Unis. As from what my friends told me, get the admission into the uni, means got the scholarships or at least loan to cover your tuition fees and living expenses. *not sure if it's true..

I'm taking Econs, maths, accounting and thinking skills for A-levels. Anyone knows what's the minimum results in order to get into this course in NTU/NUS/SMU? I failed to google it, only able to find SG A-lvls results requirement.

I'm in jan intake batch. That means Im taking my AS paper this coming Oct to Nov. And A2 papers in June 2012. Which results should I use to apply the uni? A-levels forecast? Is it a necessary to sit for SAT test? Since I've checked with NUS and NTU websites, it seems like only NUS need it but not NTU.

If I need to sit for SAT, what would be the best combination of 3 subjects? since i don't study science subjects anymore. And when is the recommended dates/time to sit for the test.

THANKS to RECOMMERS IN ADVANCE! xD
siewmeiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Cactus Male

#69 Old 28-06-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by siewmeiloh View Post
Hi guys. Same as Frostbyte13, I've set my first option on Singapore Unis. As from what my friends told me, get the admission into the uni, means got the scholarships or at least loan to cover your tuition fees and living expenses. *not sure if it's true..

I'm taking Econs, maths, accounting and thinking skills for A-levels. Anyone knows what's the minimum results in order to get into this course in NTU/NUS/SMU? I failed to google it, only able to find SG A-lvls results requirement.

I'm in jan intake batch. That means Im taking my AS paper this coming Oct to Nov. And A2 papers in June 2012. Which results should I use to apply the uni? A-levels forecast? Is it a necessary to sit for SAT test? Since I've checked with NUS and NTU websites, it seems like only NUS need it but not NTU.

If I need to sit for SAT, what would be the best combination of 3 subjects? since i don't study science subjects anymore. And when is the recommended dates/time to sit for the test.

THANKS to RECOMMERS IN ADVANCE! xD
I'm talking about NUS here.

I think you'll have to take both SAT and SAT subject tests (sometimes known as SAT2) [for NUS]

source:http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/inte...#qualification

(I didn't study A-levels so can't help you any more than that. )

Some of the SAT2 subjects are:
Math Level1
Math Level2 (NUS require Math Level2 and do NOT accept Math Level1)
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Literature
World History
US History
Languages (e.g. German, French, Chinese with Listening etc)

Suggest you to ask further questions regarding NUS at this thread:
http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11975
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#70 Old 18-07-2011 Default Re: Studying Economics for a Bachelor's degree

Hi.

May i know which local uni is well known for its economics course?

Also, i studied my pre-U STPM in Science Stream (Physics).
Will it be hard for me if i am to study economics for degree without pre-U knowledge in Economics?

Last edited by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya; 18-07-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote