ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

frostbyte13 Male
Slightly Senior Member

#31 Old 12-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

How did you jump to Canada from Australia? LOL

Whether they swear less or not, in every part of the world, swearing definitely goes on. Maybe you mean as in public and visible swears. Of course, with a better educated public there tends to be some moral taboos that do not persuade your typical Canadian to swear at the slightest of provocation.

Don't we all have that one friend who does that? I had a clique back in high school that was like that.

Psalms 126 : 5
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Interested in finding me? Add me up facebook
frostbyte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#32 Old 14-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbyte13 View Post
How did you jump to Canada from Australia? LOL

Whether they swear less or not, in every part of the world, swearing definitely goes on. Maybe you mean as in public and visible swears. Of course, with a better educated public there tends to be some moral taboos that do not persuade your typical Canadian to swear at the slightest of provocation.

Don't we all have that one friend who does that? I had a clique back in high school that was like that.
Well, I don't think I'll be comfortable, or even grow in the long term by mixing around with people who swear a lot. If you note the speech patterns of most successful people, you will definitely notice that they practically don't swear at all.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#33 Old 14-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

They don't swear *in the public*

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#34 Old 14-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngyew View Post
They don't swear *in the public*
That's still a lot more restraint than most of us

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
adele123 Female

#35 Old 14-09-2012 Default Re: Questions about Malaysia from an Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a few Malaysian friends and as a result have suddenly become interested in the country. That is why I registered for membership in this forum, to learn more about Malaysians and life in Malaysia.

1) Is Malaysia a good country to live in?
2) What's the best thing about living in Malaysia now?
3) What's the worst thing about living in Malaysia?
4) How would your rate Malaysia's current education system on a scale from 1-10, where 10 equals perfect?
5) Why do so many Malaysians choose to study university at overseas institutions instead of in their own country?
6) How does Malaysia as a country compare to neighbouring countries Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei?
7) Is life getting better in Malaysia or getting worse?
Why are so many Malaysians determined to seek Australia permanent residency and leave their country when they leave on a working/student visa?
9) Do the people belonging to the different ethnic groups intermix with one another and understand each other? I have heard that it is quite a segregated country. To what extent is this true?
10) Is it true that the government is racist? If so, why are they racist? Is it understandable?
11) Also, how are crime rates in Malaysia? Are most Malaysian citizens law abiding?
12) Do you think Australia is a much better country to live in than Malaysia or not?
13) Are Chinese Malaysians usually fluent in Malay? I was surprised to find that most of my Malaysian friends do not speak Malay...Is this usually the case and if so does this cause problems?

Hope somebody can answer these questions.

Thanks!
2) Food and familiar faces

3) lack of public transport and increasing crime rate (apparently)

5) the opportunity to migrate or simply this notion that overseas graduates are better or since (i don't remember when) that there's a culture of studying overseas making it sounds better than it does

7) better in some ways, worse in more.

i think i would prefer a country that pays $20 washing dishes over ANY ASIAN country... not just malaysians, really... developed country beats 3rd world country any other day. i believe it's not just malaysians

9) well, they do mix but at the end of the day, lifestyle and language barrier of different ethnic group kinda drag them apart

10) a lot of people in this world are racist. government itself is not really racist just some policy (they came up with about 40+ years ago) kinda make it seems racist and politicians like to raise issues that end up having some racist comments/sub-issue in them

11) not so law abiding when it comes to traffic laws. crime rate, i don't like to believe what i hear (i study statistics well enough to prefer to look at figures)
but sadly i don't think the statistics themselves are reliable

12) yes. because i can get paid $20 per hour washing dishes in Australia and because AUD is so strong. yes because it's a big country, i kinda enjoy the space.

13) mostly they don't use the language much once they are done with high school. lack of practice but i don't think picking it up again is very difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
Okay, thanks for the really detailed response henry yew.

14) Generally speaking, is it true that most Chinese Malaysians are rich in comparison to Indian Malaysians and Bumiputeras? If so, what are the reasons for this?

15) Is there a lot of poverty in Malaysia? And is there a significant gap between the rich and the poor?

16) What sorta of television shows are shown in Malaysia?
Is it mainly American sitcom?
Are most channels in English or Malay or Chinese or Tamil or other languages?
What are the rough proportions?

17) As English is an official language in Malaysia, do most Malaysians speak English? Which ethnic group generally speaks the best English?
14) Effort of the previous generation(s). Chinese being Chinese, hardworking, business-minded

16) years ago, it's really a lot of american tv shows (not just sitcom) and HK tv shows. somehow, we get more variety in terms of the origin of the show.
Japanese, KOREAN, Taiwanese, Chinese.

17) not an official language. but the language used in the corporate world. official language is still malay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanno_yamster View Post

12) Do you think Australia is a much better country to live in than Malaysia or not?

Australia (or at least Sydney) is more organised, safer and more environmentally conscious! I also observed that the pace of life is generally quite relaxed compared to Malaysia. I'm sure not many of you frequently work overtime. In my opinion, public transportation here is also more efficient than in Malaysia even though I constantly hear Sydneysiders complaining about the lack of punctuality of the buses. Besides that, I feel that people here cherish culture a lot and integrate heritage with modernity very well. =)
visit melbourne or brisbane or canberra if you really dont feel like going that far

Last edited by adele123; 14-09-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
adele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adele123 For This Useful Post: