ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Reply
 
Thread Tools
lishing Female
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
  #1 Old 11-12-2010 Default Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Hey there, i'm just wondering are there any advantages having double degree qualification compared to those having only a single degree qualification?

Yes some might say taking double degree is costly(is it?) and time-consuming. I personally would love to have a few more years in uni.

So what says you?

Greatly appreciate your time and opinions
lishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 533
  #2 Old 11-12-2010 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

It really depends on what type of advantage you're referring to, the degree combination in mind and the type of job you're looking for. For one thing, it's never wrong to have too much knowledge but the opportunity cost of having to forgo 2-3 years of employment might be pretty big. If you have the resources necessary to extend your stay in uni then by all means, go for it.

In terms of job opportunities, I've been told it used to be a huge advantage to have multiple degrees but recently, the trend is changing. Apparently, employers nowadays prefer specialization instead of breadth but then again, that really depends on what job you're looking for. Research or productivity-oriented jobs will most definitely require depth while management roles may be better filled with breadth.
__________________
Inspire and be inspired.
Young is offline   Reply With Quote
lishing Female
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
  #3 Old 12-12-2010 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young View Post
Apparently, employers nowadays prefer specialization instead of breadth but then again, that really depends on what job you're looking for. Research or productivity-oriented jobs will most definitely require depth while management roles may be better filled with breadth.
Based on the above statement, does it means that if i want to be an engineer it is advisable for me to aim for only one degree? but if i want to involve myself in the business sector in future, i should go for double degree courses?

I once heard this : JOB = Just Over Broke. what's important is to look for a career which we really,really have passion in cause a job KILLS if we are to do the same old routine everyday, plus it will be pretty torturing if we HATE that job.

that made me think twice, should i go for what i want or just pursue some money-making courses? sometimes reality really bites in spite of all motivating quotes telling us to pursue what we want.

I'm still at lost and don't know where to go for pre-u studies. I'm torn between choosing science or arts for A-levels. I like maths, but for the other 3 sciences, i can say i'm struggling with them--i need to read up a few times before i grasp those theories and concept.I like physics though--but no, i didnt find it THAT interesting till i enjoy studying physics.

as for arts, i know i have to work extra harder as it is new to me.

so there, i'm lost.
lishing is offline   Reply With Quote
cycycy Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer
 
cycycy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 426
  #4 Old 13-12-2010 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lishing View Post
Based on the above statement, does it means that if i want to be an engineer it is advisable for me to aim for only one degree? but if i want to involve myself in the business sector in future, i should go for double degree courses?
A double degree gives you better career flexibility and opportunity. Gives you an edge on employment, too. According to my cousin in Canada who do recruits for his company, an engineering degree is already sufficient if you want to be an engineer. For corporate posts, namely accounting and economics, they (employers) prefer double degree holders (accounting and finance for accountants) and economics and law/finance.

Or, Bachelor of Science/Arts + Bachelor of Education will be a good choice if progressing towards the education sector.

However, consider carefully before choosing. Double degree courses tend to be very 'compressed' as you need to complete the credit hours for two degrees in 4-5 years (depending on the institution and course). So, you have to be sure that you can cope before opting for double degrees. Or else, it'lll be highly risky. And you may end up with inadequate grades in both courses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lishing View Post
I'm still at lost and don't know where to go for pre-u studies. I'm torn between choosing science or arts for A-levels. I like maths, but for the other 3 sciences, i can say i'm struggling with them--i need to read up a few times before i grasp those theories and concept.I like physics though--but no, i didnt find it THAT interesting till i enjoy studying physics.

as for arts, i know i have to work extra harder as it is new to me.

so there, i'm lost.
Give yourself some time to iron out what you really want. If you really cannot decide, then it is advisable to do Science during Pre U. Give yourself another one year plus to think about it, and if you decided to do science in Uni, you can proceed without complications. If you decide to do arts, you can jump to Arts.

This is the best way as your choices will be limited if you do Arts in Pre U.
__________________
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain.
~
Emily Dickinson~

* Blog * Facebook *
Once an Ausmatian, forever an Ausmatian. Ausmatians for life! (:



cycycy is offline   Reply With Quote
frankchong
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 196
  #5 Old 14-12-2010 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

In the near future, you better of doing science rather than arts, it will give you more options later. A lot of people think they have a lot of options, but in reality, if a person is not well prepared at the decision point, the person is already eliminated from the list of options (you may not be told yet), if the field is very competitive.
A lot of parents (and many others) think a person with double gdegree is better than one with a single concentration, in most cases it is only a myth. The more important question to answer is: what core competency you want to develop or what problems you want to solve? In a free market economy, you are hired for what you can do for the company that brings good return for the company. If the skills are easily available, their market value is usually low, if you have hard to come by skills that the company badly needs, the company will pay a lot for those skills.
In a high income economy, which is technology based, the better pay jobs are in product development and design, this is where you need in depth knowledge, quite often a BS, MS or PhD in the right field and years of working experience are valued. If the field turns out to be cross discipline then you may do undergraduate in one field and graduate work in another field. An example of which could be a BS in math and MS/PhD in computer science or EE if you are interested in alogrithms or crytography. If this is what you want, some of the combinations will take very long and yet does not fit in the Malaysian context.
Since you are interested in Math and Physics, concentrate on those two and related fields, be very good at it. Opportunity will open up when you are very good at something. If you are very good in something, it is easier to bring the skills to solve a problem in another field. If you do not have in depth critical skills, you bring little to the party. (this is very different from running an election campaign, where politicians get people excited to vote for them, with the goal of getting elected, many politicians are elected on empty promises)

regards,
Frank

regards,
Frank
frankchong is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member
 
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 128
  #6 Old 24-02-2011 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Hmmm.. We'll need to finish credit hours of the 2 degrees in 4/5 years time? So by taking double degree means we'll have to work and study twice harder than those who take single degree?

And or people who take double degrees, will University like NUS/NTU lower the passing grade to reduce the difficulty and stress faced by them? Lol.

Also, by taking double degree does that mean we'll learn less in both degree, while people who take single degree learn a lot deeper in the course than we do? Or we'll still learn the same depth of syllabus?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
sugan Male
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 456
  #7 Old 24-02-2011 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

IMO ,by taking double degree,

I believe discipline and dedication is the key to drive through the 5 years.

yes, we would probably miss out many activities around us such as extra curricular activities

in addition, double degree would offer us good breadth in knowledge , but depth would have to be sacrifice to a certain extent.
________
Laguna Bay Condo

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 04:53 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member
 
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 128
  #8 Old 24-02-2011 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
IMO ,by taking double degree,

I believe discipline and dedication is the key to drive through the 5 years.

yes, we would probably miss out many activities around us such as extra curricular activities

in addition, double degree would offer us good breadth in knowledge , but depth would have to be sacrifice to a certain extent.
In ur opinion, do you think taking double degree is very hard and stressful? I wanna do it but i think i can't cope with the pressure and stress..

I'm wondering if i can change to single degree afterwards?

btw, ur stpm 2010 leaver right? how's ur result? =]

are you interested in taking double degree too?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
adele123 Female
Member
 
adele123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 345
  #9 Old 24-02-2011 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Hmmm.. We'll need to finish credit hours of the 2 degrees in 4/5 years time? So by taking double degree means we'll have to work and study twice harder than those who take single degree?

And or people who take double degrees, will University like NUS/NTU lower the passing grade to reduce the difficulty and stress faced by them? Lol.

Also, by taking double degree does that mean we'll learn less in both degree, while people who take single degree learn a lot deeper in the course than we do? Or we'll still learn the same depth of syllabus?

1) of course, it's not harder, that's why double degrees holder get more time.

2) of course passing grade is not lower, it's up to students to manage their time, nobody said you should put all your difficult subjects in one semester.

3) you do not learn less or more in depth when you take double degree, students have to fulfill the requirement set by their university in order to graduate, and you have to satisfy BOTH the degree requirements.


The thing about double degree, they dont offer just about any combinations of double degree out there, there's a reason to that.

Taking double degree doesn't not mean in anyway you will have to work twice as hard as single degree holders. seriously not, just study longer. Double degree people get more time, they can allocate the subjects they take in a way that might even to their benefit, make their life easier than single degree students. In uni, not every single subject is compulsory and difficult beyond all reason, so you can do some easy courses amidst the harder courses, and you get more time to spread them out.

In my case, I feel the pressure of doing single degree entering uni in the wrong intake. People intending to do double degree who entered uni the same time as i did, they can spread out some of the harder courses, to another year, but I can't, due to the inflexibility of some of the subjects I take.

If it wasn't because of the money, I won't mind double degree, at least I dont have to stuff all my difficult course in one semester.
__________________
i'm cynical, but for the right reasons (i think)
adele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member
 
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 128
  #10 Old 25-02-2011 Default Re: Advantages of pursuing double degree courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele123 View Post
1) of course, it's not harder, that's why double degrees holder get more time.

2) of course passing grade is not lower, it's up to students to manage their time, nobody said you should put all your difficult subjects in one semester.

3) you do not learn less or more in depth when you take double degree, students have to fulfill the requirement set by their university in order to graduate, and you have to satisfy BOTH the degree requirements.


The thing about double degree, they dont offer just about any combinations of double degree out there, there's a reason to that.

Taking double degree doesn't not mean in anyway you will have to work twice as hard as single degree holders. seriously not, just study longer. Double degree people get more time, they can allocate the subjects they take in a way that might even to their benefit, make their life easier than single degree students. In uni, not every single subject is compulsory and difficult beyond all reason, so you can do some easy courses amidst the harder courses, and you get more time to spread them out.

In my case, I feel the pressure of doing single degree entering uni in the wrong intake. People intending to do double degree who entered uni the same time as i did, they can spread out some of the harder courses, to another year, but I can't, due to the inflexibility of some of the subjects I take.

If it wasn't because of the money, I won't mind double degree, at least I dont have to stuff all my difficult course in one semester.
Hi, thanks for replying my questions.

I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "subject"? Like in a double degree of Business and Accountancy, what are the subjects? Business, and Accountancy?

Sorry I know nothing about the types of university programmes/courses..

Btw, can we change to single degree after taking double degree if we can't cope up with it?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
double major in UKM candoit Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 2 18-11-2010 11:01 PM
Help: what is business law? should i do a double degree in commerce and law? duck Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate 0 05-03-2009 04:04 PM
Double major in US university ?? joop Education 1 22-07-2008 05:10 AM
UMNO Double Standards strikingstar Malaysia Today 2 24-03-2008 12:22 PM
Is here anyone who is pursuing phd in accounting minzu Education 13 09-06-2005 11:38 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.13006 seconds with 15 queries