ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Engineering Course in Malaysia.

View Poll Results: If you were to take Engineering course, would you choose UTP or other IPTA's?
Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP) 6 50.00%
Other IPTA's. (USM, UM, UKM etc) Please specify. 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#11 Old 18-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Yes, UTP has few Chinese students - well, significantly fewer than Malay students, if that's what you mean by "few". There are even fewer Indians. But UTP has a sizeable international student community.

As for social groups, there are debate clubs (in English, Malay and Mandarin), Chinese orchestra, martial arts societies and other groups that you could participate.

Admission into UTP does not automatically mean that you have a scholarship, but you could always at least get PTPTN to help you fund your studies. Otherwise, IPTA is a good option for you, too.

But don't worry so much about whether or not there are more or few Chinese students. It's the same in IPTA, too, I believe. I guess UTAR is the only university where the majority of the students are Chinese. Maybe Taylor's, UNMC, Monash, too?

P/S: The racial composition of a particular batch of students differ every semester. Previously, out of the 500 or 600 new students, non-Malay students would make up about 10%. In July 2008, the new intake had non-Malay students taking up one-third of the student population for that batch. So, numbers can change. But I would put that as the least of my concerns.

Last edited by henry_yew; 18-04-2011 at 10:47 PM.
henry_yew is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#12 Old 19-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Yes, that's what i meant by "few".

I see. There are quite a lot of CCA's in UTP too eh? I've always imagined UTP as a place only for study and the only CCA will be Dikir Barat or anything 100% Bumi related. Haha!

Btw, between UTP and most IPTAs, which is generally more competitive?
I worry more about the social capital actually.

The teachings and lectures in UTP are in English right? I heard one of my senior saying that in UKM, they have to do the thesis in Malay. Is it same in UTP too? He's taking Mechanical Engineering though.

Lastly, about quality of the environment and facilities provided, is UTP good too?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#13 Old 19-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Yes, that's what i meant by "few".

I see. There are quite a lot of CCA's in UTP too eh? I've always imagined UTP as a place only for study and the only CCA will be Dikir Barat or anything 100% Bumi related. Haha!

Btw, between UTP and most IPTAs, which is generally more competitive?
I worry more about the social capital actually.

The teachings and lectures in UTP are in English right? I heard one of my senior saying that in UKM, they have to do the thesis in Malay. Is it same in UTP too? He's taking Mechanical Engineering though.

Lastly, about quality of the environment and facilities provided, is UTP good too?
No, there isn't a Bumi-related group in UTP. Anyone is welcomed to join any group - but one or two have some technical requirements prior to joining.

I cannot decide whether UTP is more competitive than IPTAs or the other way around. I am unfamiliar with the IPTA system.

And yes, all courses in UTP are taught in English. There are foreign lecturers teaching in UTP, as well as foreign students here, too, so all teaching has to be done in English. Even thesis-writing has to be done in English - there is no exception for that. I cannot be sure about the Mechanical Engineering faculty members, but I do know that over the years, the Civil Engineering faculty members have gone from good to better now. People come and people go, but fortunately it is the good ones who come.

As for the environment and the facilities in UTP, we have an Information Resource Centre (IRC, aka the library) which is always the centre of attraction for all visitors and new students. It has a collection of many books, journals, articles, etc. In fact, the UTP library system is connected to the library system of the PETRONAS Resource Centre (PRC) located at Tower 1 of the PETRONAS Twin Towers, PRC in Bangi, etc. If you are not able to find a material in the UTP IRC, but it is available in PRC KLCC, arrangements can be made to have that material sent to UTP for your perusal. In fact, you could actually borrow books from the PRC (like what I did when I was doing my internship in PETRONAS at Tower 1) even though you are holding a UTP student card.

The lab facilities (especially for Mechanical Engineering) are very extensive and new.

As for the environment, I believe UTP is a very conducive place for you to excel in your studies - far, far away from the temptations of city life. Yes, UTP is located about 40 minutes away from Ipoh. We often say that UTP is located in the middle of nowhere with no civilisation around it. The nearby village of Tronoh has a few Chinese eateries that thrive on the existence of non-Malay students and staff from UTP.

There are sports facilities in UTP which include tennis, basketball, volleyball, futsal, badminton, squash, table tennis, swimming, jogging tracks, gymnasium, etc. for you to use so that you could maintain a healthy lifestyle (but I wonder how many students actually maintain a healthy lifestyle).

The best way to understand what UTP has and what UTP doesn't have is to pay a visit to the university.
Less Junior Member

#14 Old 30-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Thread updated into becoming a poll..

So what will you guys choose when it comes to engineering course?

Provide reasons why you choose that over the other if you may..
Thanks!
sugan Male

#15 Old 30-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

why not you just list down the uniten, and even other private universities?
________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 05:16 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#16 Old 30-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
why not you just list down the uniten, and even other private universities?
Hmm.. cause private universities are out of my options.. my parents can't afford me to..

I tried editing the poll option but can't already.. so yeah..

btw what would u choose?
sugan Male

#17 Old 30-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

if it between utp and ipta s, I would choose just to for Establish IPTAs( UM, USM, UTM), unless i'm offered scholarship to study in UTP.
________
real estate in Pattaya

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 05:17 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#18 Old 30-04-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

My friends told me graduates from utp are almost guaranteed a job.. i wonder if that's true..?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#19 Old 07-05-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

Guys, i need clearer clarification on this matter..

is UTP worth the try?

i gotten utp offer as private candidate in mechanical engineering.. will have to pay 2k registration fees.

but IPTA results are yet to known.. so i'm in a dilemma.. whether to wait for IPTA or go to UTP first.

if i wait for ipta, i might not get this course i wanted.
if i go to utp first, i'll have to fork out a huge sum of money.. and scholarships i applied still haven't out..
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#20 Old 10-05-2011 Default Re: Engineering Course in Malaysia.

hey henry, i heard that graduates from UTP often guaranteed an employment? how far does it stay true?

btw, take a look at my concern in this thread:

http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13160

and, is there july intake? I thought only january and may intake..?

Last edited by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya; 10-05-2011 at 02:28 PM.