ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > ReCom Chat Forum

ReCom Chat Forum This is where you chat! As per new policy, all social messages e.g. "hey are you the cute guy sitting next to me in interview yesterday" MUST be posted here.

Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Closed Thread

barley
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 17-09-2012 Default Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Two weeks later, I will be getting married.. hahahaah anyway..need your opinions.. is it wrong to ask for wedding gift instead of the Angpau $$$ ? nowadays presents are better than money. agree? want to list down the items that I was dreaming for.. am i too ridiculous?
gupinter87 Male
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 18-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

if the gift list that u request is not too expensive should be fine one....how how u will know all ur friend will not give same gift to u ?
sianginfinity Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 18-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

are you serious?? Of course $$$ better ma. Chinese tradition somemore. With the angpao give you can buy all thing you like no need so mafan ask people buy lo. later if they tak syok you don't wanna come your wedding baru you tau XP
adele123 Female

#4 Old 18-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

kalau u orang "china" saya rasa something is wrong... cause............. YOU HAVE TO FREAKING PAY FOR DINNER

fine... i dare you to ask for gift... see which idiot actually buy you something you 'dream' of

kalau you bukan orang 'china'

the thing about asking for gift is that how you gonna make sure there will be no repeats? if you have a fool-proof plan, i dont see why not but as the person above say, some people might not like the idea of it...

Last edited by adele123; 18-09-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#5 Old 19-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

You can definite ask for something meaningful, like books on how to live a loving, lasting married life.I always feel that ang-pau are overrated for dinners anyway.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#6 Old 19-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Asking for gifts instead of angpow money isn't something entirely new, even for "orang China". In fact, some "orang China" are starting to do away with the practice of taking angpow money at all. Some people believe that when one invites another person to dinner, the host is treating you to it - that your presence in dinner is all that they ask for, that they ask you to honour the auspicious occasion by gracing them with your presence. When I invite you to my house, for example, for a party, I would provide you drinks and snacks, but I don't expect you to pay for it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unusual to ask for gifts in lieu of angpow money. However, some people find it hard to get you gifts, so they'd rather give you angpow money anyway, which you could still accept courteously.

I don't really agree to the idea of "you have to pay your dinner if you are 'orang China'" because, to me, it displays a lack of sincerity in holding dinners. Suffice to say, when you do invite people over for wedding dinners, you can't really expect people to pay, but when they do give you an angpow, then you could accept it.

It's just tradition that people give you an angpow during wedding dinners, but I see nothing wrong in breaking with tradition. Things can change with times.
barley
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 19-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

haiz.. actually the thing i was dreaming for is 40" Smart Full HD LED TV with surround system for my future new house la.. hmm, now headache headache..
boombee87 Male
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 20-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

What? this is very expensive item ok...all add up will be around rm5k ad....might as well rob bank lo??? luckily i m not ur friend so no need ask me to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barley View Post
haiz.. actually the thing i was dreaming for is 40" Smart Full HD LED TV with surround system for my future new house la.. hmm, now headache headache..
adele123 Female

#9 Old 21-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseehua View Post
You can definite ask for something meaningful, like books on how to live a loving, lasting married life.I always feel that ang-pau are overrated for dinners anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_yew View Post
I don't really agree to the idea of "you have to pay your dinner if you are 'orang China'" because, to me, it displays a lack of sincerity in holding dinners. Suffice to say, when you do invite people over for wedding dinners, you can't really expect people to pay, but when they do give you an angpow, then you could accept it.
maybe you guys been overseas too long...

Assume say cost of dinner per table is RM 700 (btw, not an unreasonable price for typical chinese restaurant, can be higher in KL area). Assume say 50 tables for that particular dinner... That's RM35k... On the extreme that nobody gives angpow... you want the newly wedded couple to 'eat' that RM35k? That's excluding other major expenses, alcohol, rental of wedding dress, make up, studio photos.

don't give me crap reasons that one need not spend on alcohol, makeup, studio photos. it's a social event, so you need to please others by providing 'alcohol'.

it's one thing to be nice to one's guest, it's another to bare all the cost yourself.

having said that, i dislike the practice, but i think i like my money more than i dislike the practice.

not that i have ever organised one, but really... money is a problem... at least cause not everybody's dad is filthy rich

Of course, one can do it differently, not on such a scale but the example I’ve given, should not be very far from the average practice

Don’t get the wrong idea about me, it’s not that I’m suggesting that one should only look at is the money side of it, but it is a very important side of most people’s life

opinion from an observer of wedding dinners...

Last edited by adele123; 21-09-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
anna_tan89 Female
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 21-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

The 40" Smart Full HD LED TV from Samsung? wow... you are so greedy!
luckily i am not your friend oso. hahaha... but if you really really want it but don't want to pay the price, you better start asking all your friends to dial *128#... I saw can win lots of similar prizes leh... Samsung 40" Smart Full HD LED TV, Samsung Galaxy S III, Pioneer Blu – Ray front surround system, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7", Nikon Coolpix waterproof AW100! so many and all super attractive
attached a photo, if all your friends dial, surely one will win right??

Closed Thread