ReCom.org
Sarawakians Click here to visit this social group

The Future of Sarawak

digimushu Male
Prototyper

#1 Old 30-12-2008 Unhappy The Future of Sarawak

As a Sarawakian, I am particularly concerned with the direction that our state is headed right now. As all of you have heard...

Western Digital Sarawak facility up for sale

And...

After Western Digital, Timber Companies Expected To Lay Off Thousands More In Sarawak

Then again, we do have SCORE, which I think will end up like all the corridors we have in our homeland, empty. I give it 2-3 more years.

I have noticed that every one I know in Kuching has left Kuching for work elsewhere, leaving their families behind. Those who stayed behind are either medical doctors, students, or teachers. Something is wrong with the development of industries in Kuching. Are there any industries that can survive in Kuching? The last time I was home (3 years ago), I noticed that although the infrastructure has improved, and there are a lot more coffeeshops, there are almost no new high tech industries at home. Everything is either related to timber, oil, aluminium, pepper or palm oil.

I find this daunting because I see potential in Kuching to develop, but puzzled as of why all the industrial development is so stagnant that people are moving out to find jobs.
Xon
lazy bunny
Administrator

#2 Old 30-12-2008 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

Errr, I think the head *you guys know which one i mentioned* is on his throne for a bit long. And Sometimes,he think his ruling-team did a lot to the overall development. Yet,i think we actually can do a lot more improvement.

Instead, he *representing the state government* built a new State Parliament which sort of spoils the overall outlook of Kuching in the town. Grrrgh,guess it costs few billions huh. I thought the old one is still usable.

Personally have no comment regarding the closing of Western Digital. Industries in Kuching need time to learn from others mistakes.

Federation of Malaysia is formed by Sarawak, North Borneo, Malaya (and Singapore) by 16 Sept 1963. It has nothing to do with 31 Aug 1957. Just saying.
Xon is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#3 Old 30-12-2008 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

46 views and no comments? Say something dammit, make your voices heard!
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#4 Old 31-12-2008 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

Not surprised at that. We have lots of people moving out of Kuching to look for better opportunities, and reduce the workforce needed to make the industries work.

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
eve88 Female

#5 Old 31-12-2008 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

It could also partially be because a lot of students need to move outside Sarawak for further studies (uni, etc) -- and after that its easier to continue on where they are and find jobs there, rather than return to Sarawak...
eve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Leen
Peacemaker
Administrator

#6 Old 12-01-2009 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xon View Post
Errr, I think the head *you guys know which one i mentioned* is on his throne for a bit long. And Sometimes,he think his ruling-team did a lot to the overall development. Yet,i think we actually can do a lot more improvement.

Instead, he *representing the state government* built a new State Parliament which sort of spoils the overall outlook of Kuching in the town. Grrrgh,guess it costs few billions huh. I thought the old one is still usable.

Personally have no comment regarding the closing of Western Digital. Industries in Kuching need time to learn from others mistakes.
I assume by the head, you mean Taib Mahmud and his beloved CMS ?

But even if we all know that he is in some kind of corruption charges, the people still vote for BN every single time (in fact, Sarawak is one of BN's stronghold). The only exception is of course Bandar Kuching that falls to the very outspoken Chong Chieng Jen.
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Xon
lazy bunny
Administrator

#7 Old 16-01-2009 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

^ Both and all related.

Any idea why our state is still a BN's stronghold? Anyway,we have digressed from this topic. ^.^

Federation of Malaysia is formed by Sarawak, North Borneo, Malaya (and Singapore) by 16 Sept 1963. It has nothing to do with 31 Aug 1957. Just saying.
Xon is offline   Reply With Quote
digimushu Male
Prototyper

#8 Old 17-01-2009 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

hrmmm...
all valid points, but what i am wondering is not about how lttle jobs there are in kch, more so about why it is so damn hard to start anything. All the industries in Kuching and sarawak were the same ones 10 years ago. We have not moved on to high tech stuff yet. It just feels like we are left behind.
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#9 Old 17-01-2009 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

Nope, we are getting behind.

@Xon: Why is our state still a BN stronghold? I think the people don't think that there are viable opposition yet in Sarawak. And also the widely known secret regarding vote buying among the rural areas...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
senksiang90 Male

#10 Old 22-05-2009 Default Re: The Future of Sarawak

Sarawak is still a BN stronghold because many at the outskirts especially love the government. They need rapid development and voting for BN is one of the ways out of the 'ulu-life'. Bandar Kuching on the other hand is obviously dominated by full Chinese people and hence it is no wonder that it has fallen into DAP hands.

Anyway, enough talk about Sarawak politics. Let's talk about something new about Sarawak.. Well, the previous new stuff about Sarawak is the opening of Boulevard and The Spring(about 2 years by now).. but I think these supermarkets are bigger compared to others like Everise... It is like the pride of Kuching you know.... However, it is still very small compared to Sunway Pyramid and MidValley but what the heck, it is a start.. problem is that Kuching's population is too small that such a big shopping centre will not be able to survive for too long..

One disappointment about Sarawak to me will be the cinema. What the hell? Why is there no GSC? I want THX cinema theatres!!! STAR and Riverside cineplax are so.... out-dated! Sarawak needs better cinema if they want to destroy piracy which is particularly everywhere..