ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Why Is STPM hard?

View Poll Results: STPM
STPM 1 33.33%
STPM 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 19-04-2009 Default Why Is STPM hard?

Hello fellow forummers, i'm new to recom and i'm here to know more about tertiary education in Malaysia.

I am a spm leaver last year, with a result of 8A1, 2A2 and 1B3 (chemistry). I applied for petronas, jpa, khazanah yayasan and matrix, but now all rejected me.

So i'm left with 2 options : form 6 / upu. (I think most likely upu would reject me too). As i'm now more convinced to going form 6, i've been bothered about people saying that stpm is hard, stpm is hard.. So, i want to know, why is stpm hard? is it because the syllabus is vast? or is it because the examination marking system is strict?

And i need to know, as i'm going for science stream, what are the subjects i'll have to take? (including optional subject).

Thanks in advance!
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
SapphireDragon Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Hello fellow forummers, i'm new to recom and i'm here to know more about tertiary education in Malaysia.

I am a spm leaver last year, with a result of 8A1, 2A2 and 1B3 (chemistry). I applied for petronas, jpa, khazanah yayasan and matrix, but now all rejected me.

So i'm left with 2 options : form 6 / upu. (I think most likely upu would reject me too). As i'm now more convinced to going form 6, i've been bothered about people saying that stpm is hard, stpm is hard.. So, i want to know, why is stpm hard? is it because the syllabus is vast? or is it because the examination marking system is strict?

And i need to know, as i'm going for science stream, what are the subjects i'll have to take? (including optional subject).

Thanks in advance!
By the way, did u apply for matriks? yes, STPM is hard, dubbed the hardest exam in the world, but it exposes you deeply into the subjects you take and really prepares you for university studies. U can also use STPM to apply for admission into Singapore universities. The marking is also strict but hey, nothing comes free in life, right? We need to work hard and persevere to achieve something. Take this as a giant obstacle in life and sail through it with confidence. It will be a life experience you'll never forget.
SapphireDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

yeah i applied for matrix and it rejected me.

btw, can i know what country recognize STPM?

hardest exam? is that true? I can't believe Malaysia can actually have something that high standard.
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#4 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

STPM remains one of the hardest exams because of the existence of matriculation...

Miracles happen everyday
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
luminodreamer89

#5 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

It's the 3rd hardest in the world. Heard it many years ago. Didn't know whether still valid till now.
What countries? Practically all. But not too sure. Have to check up. The most common countries Malaysian students aim for are US, UK, Singapore, Australia.
If u can afford for private colleges, u can try on A-levels. With your results, perhaps u r able to get some tuition fees waived.
If not, go for STPM. Remember, it's tough, but it's not impossible.

About STPM, ask tsar or markwongsk or choogirl. They are the famous STPM leavers who sail with pride and honour. Lol. They might be able to point out some tips.
Good luck. =)
luminodreamer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
nicodemus

#6 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Hi Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya...

I'm a STPM leaver too, batch 2007, from Kedah...
Well, I think that STPM is the best thing that had ever happened in my life. The life in lower & upper six was my best schooling days so far... =D

STPM is the 3rd hardest examination in the world, and I think it still holds now. [WOW, Malaysia certainly have some high standards... ]
And basically, with a STPM degree, you can go everywhere with it. Just name it, Japan, Korea, Australia, US, UK, etc... (although some unis you need to check their special rerquirements)

The marking is kind of strict but if you put in a lot effort, then it's not that difficult to score... The syllabus I think is quite in depth and detailed, but I certainly learned a lot from it. But still, what we learn in STPM is still the tip of the iceberg of the vast knowledge waiting for you to explore... =D

Generally in Science stream, one needs to take 4 subjects with General Paper (Pengajian AM), Chemistry and Maths T a must. You can either choose Physics or Biology. If you want to take extra optional subjects, it depends what are you interested to do later in your life. For Science students, I recommend taking Further Maths. (*regret* *regret* I should have taken up FM... I drop it because I can't find any tutor in my area to guide me) Or if you want like both Physics and Biology, you can take both of them.

Well, that's all I wanted to tell you. If you have any queries, you can post them here. I'll be glad to reply them. =D

My advice is, go for it! STPM will be the next best thing in your life. I'm proud to say that I'm an ex-form sixer...
Form Six RULEZ!!!
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
chongkeat Male

#7 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
STPM is the 3rd hardest examination in the world, and I think it still holds now. [WOW, Malaysia certainly have some high standards... ]
Okay, I've heard so many people repeat that "3rd hardest" thingy, I'm almost starting to believe in it. But the fact is that, even until now, I've never even heard anyone mention the source, so, I was wondering if anyone can clear things up for me?

Many thanks!
chongkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
kid Male

#8 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

the 3rd? i thougt the 2nd, btw, wat r the 1st and 2nd hardest exams anyway..
kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Xon
lazy bunny
Administrator

#9 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

1st Todai Examination (Tokyo University Entrance). I used to heard rumours that STPM is 2nd.

STPM is recognised by USA, UK, Australia, NZ, SG, Japan, European Universities and *the list goes on*

Hard part: Dont study the way, we used to study for SPM. It won't work.

Federation of Malaysia is formed by Sarawak, North Borneo, Malaya (and Singapore) by 16 Sept 1963. It has nothing to do with 31 Aug 1957. Just saying.
Xon is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#10 Old 19-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xon View Post
STPM is recognised by USA, UK, Australia, NZ, SG, Japan, European Universities and *the list goes on*
I think I've asked this before but I didn't get an exact answer. So far from those I know, students who get into universities of countries other than Singapore do take extra exam such as SAT...

Actually how many students successfully enter universities of these countries (Other than Singapore) without taking extra exam? (Except entrance exams and language exams)

Miracles happen everyday

Last edited by Miracle_seed; 19-04-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote