ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Why Is STPM hard?

View Poll Results: STPM
STPM 1 33.33%
STPM 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

lowxuan Female

#131 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
Well, why not a story of my friend who took Physics as his extra subject, and got A for it. Whereas Bio he got B+...

Think what would happened if your friend AND my friend both didn't take Physics. It doesn't mean they would score better in Bio. STPM is not only about effort, it's a bit about luck. Sometimes, no matter how good you are, the examiner just doesn't like your writing. My friend's Bio is always 80+... so there's no reason a B+ was there. A- is still believable. But yeah, I'll leave it as that.

As for 20% and 25%. I'm not sure... but personally if you have gotten straight aces in your SPM, there's no reason 5 subject should be that hard. Sure, you need to push yourself, but then again it's only for your own good. And universities in UK such as Cambridge, Imperial prefer 5 subject students. Also, admission to NUS favors 5 subjects. But if you're aiming for local Uni, 4 would probably be the best, but don't even think of screwing up now haha
FYI...I didnt screw up any of my subjects in STPM 2009 =x
Then..it doesnt mean that they WONT score better in Bio if they didnt take 5 subjects at the first place =)

I got 7-8 friends who get straight As in SPM2007...and yet...they don even get 3.5 in STPM 2009 =) so...SPM means nothing in STPM

nah...i don reckon the university above PREFER 5As student...who care about biology when you want to study Mechanical Engineering =_=

Last edited by lowxuan; 16-03-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Only Malaysia, Singapore, UK, China, Taiwan 's education cares about As and it is theoritical-based..
lowxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#132 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

FYI, I took STPM too ^^

One STPMer took 5 subjects in STPM 2008 and is now in Cambridge Medicine. Another is in LSE doing Acturial Science. Yet another is in King's College doing Medicine. And there are NUS students with 5 subject, although GPA 3.5, getting admitted.

Of course all these are overseas students, again reinforcing my previous comment: If you want more options (read, consider overseas), 5 subjects is the way to go, because that's normally what's expected of their students in the first place.

What I'm trying to raise with the Bio part is that it doesn't mean taking 5 subjects is necessarily gonna "split your attention".

For Engineering, it's preferable to have Further Maths then.

For Medicine, it's better to have Physics.

For Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, it's better to have Physics + Bio.

It is true that SPM means nothing in STPM, only if you don't study smart. What I'm saying is that everything builds on the other. STPM builds upon your SPM knowledge and if you have shaky foundations that's going to be evident in STPM. If you got good grades in SPM, you should push yourself harder to get even better grades in STPM. Without motivation, you slack and you rot. One way to motivate is taking extra subjects, for the fun of it, and for the knowledge. That of course doesn't mean that students not taking 5 subjects
slack and rot. But if you're already the type that don't slack and don't rot, why not take 5 subjects in the first place?
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote
kaiyi Female

#133 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

SPM questions are like highway whereas STPM are like maze...interesting metaphor ^^

STPM does not only require understanding, but also memorise. That's why you have to work hard. Do well in SPM doesnt mean your STPM result will be good.

i took chinese as my fifth subject.so, it's quite 'useless' as i'm in science stream, is it?

you wont know the result when you decide to take either STPM or certain subject. But as long as you give all the best you can, it's a success already.

Your life wont be ruined just by not doing well in an exam.
kaiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male

#134 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Personally I feel that specific examples of "friends" are very inaccurate. Who knows i might have a "friend" that got 15 A1's in SPM and 5 F's in STPM. When discussing the pros and cons of a subject, in this case STPM, we take into account the hard facts presented by rules first.

When choosing between 5 subjects and 4 subjects for STPM, only 4 of the best 5 scores are used to calculate the GPA of your results (Local Universities). But then most overseas universities assess your overall results and relevance to degree programme applied. Yes, divided attention might be a factor that can be taken into account. But in the case based on hard facts alone, this factor depends more on one's perspective.

Then again, my "friend" could score 0 A's in SPM and win all 3 major science olympiads

#135 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
FYI, I took STPM too ^^

One STPMer took 5 subjects in STPM 2008 and is now in Cambridge Medicine. Another is in LSE doing Acturial Science. Yet another is in King's College doing Medicine. And there are NUS students with 5 subject, although GPA 3.5, getting admitted.

Of course all these are overseas students, again reinforcing my previous comment: If you want more options (read, consider overseas), 5 subjects is the way to go, because that's normally what's expected of their students in the first place.

What I'm trying to raise with the Bio part is that it doesn't mean taking 5 subjects is necessarily gonna "split your attention".

For Engineering, it's preferable to have Further Maths then.

For Medicine, it's better to have Physics.

For Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, it's better to have Physics + Bio.

It is true that SPM means nothing in STPM, only if you don't study smart. What I'm saying is that everything builds on the other. STPM builds upon your SPM knowledge and if you have shaky foundations that's going to be evident in STPM. If you got good grades in SPM, you should push yourself harder to get even better grades in STPM. Without motivation, you slack and you rot. One way to motivate is taking extra subjects, for the fun of it, and for the knowledge. That of course doesn't mean that students not taking 5 subjects
slack and rot. But if you're already the type that don't slack and don't rot, why not take 5 subjects in the first place?
1st...y i don take bio in STPM..becoz i onli score B4 in SPM2007==

2nd...y i dowan take 5 subjects...becoz i took 13 subjects in SPM and onli get 9As and 4Bs in moral,chemistry,biology, chinese.

3rd ... during form 4 n 5...my result for all 3 sciences in school never ever exceed 50%==seriously...i don even noe how to calculate no. of moles during form 5 =x i learnt it onli until i was in STPM ><....and...i don even noe how to name ester during SPM == aiks...regret...if i put more effort in spm== i don think i'm still who i m now...aiks ><

4th...i never ever DARE to expect myself getting 4.0 in STPM ==

5th...i'm sooo lucky not to screw my STPM again as in SPM==

6th...thxx too my playfullnesss-attitude during SPM~_~

7th...awww ur fren areee sooo lucky to get Cambridge Med...aiks...my senior STPM 2008 cant even get med in any pub uni of msia~ he onli managed to get UKM Med after he appealed...hais...so sad...msi policies~=x

oh ya...pls don tell me ur 3.5 fren was admitted to NUS Electrical and electronic engineering or famous courses like medicine,pharmacy and so on~_~

if not...i think i better suicide.=x coz..sounds like my stpm cert are sooo CHEAP=_=

anyway...sry to offence u =x
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyi View Post
SPM questions are like highway whereas STPM are like maze...interesting metaphor ^^

STPM does not only require understanding, but also memorise. That's why you have to work hard. Do well in SPM doesnt mean your STPM result will be good.

i took chinese as my fifth subject.so, it's quite 'useless' as i'm in science stream, is it?

you wont know the result when you decide to take either STPM or certain subject. But as long as you give all the best you can, it's a success already.

Your life wont be ruined just by not doing well in an exam.
seriosly...i feel my life was ruined when i screwed my SPM 2 years ago~_~..maybe becoz my mum always wanted me to get JPA scholarship and my SPM result doesnt secured me that JPA....and i feel sad to break my mum hope >_< i love my mum

u areeee soooo awesome to score welll in STPM chinese >< omg...it's like achieving the GREEN sky (ok== direct translate from the chinese's peribahasa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
Personally I feel that specific examples of "friends" are very inaccurate. Who knows i might have a "friend" that got 15 A1's in SPM and 5 F's in STPM. When discussing the pros and cons of a subject, in this case STPM, we take into account the hard facts presented by rules first.

When choosing between 5 subjects and 4 subjects for STPM, only 4 of the best 5 scores are used to calculate the GPA of your results (Local Universities). But then most overseas universities assess your overall results and relevance to degree programme applied. Yes, divided attention might be a factor that can be taken into account. But in the case based on hard facts alone, this factor depends more on one's perspective.

Then again, my "friend" could score 0 A's in SPM and win all 3 major science olympiads
anyway...i catch no ball~_~

Last edited by lowxuan; 16-03-2010 at 09:15 PM.
lowxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
RevolveR Female
Super Junior Member

#136 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowxuan View Post
I think it's the best to take onli 4 subjects...coz...if u take 5 subjects , u nid to "divide" ur concentration on 5 subjects equally...which mean 20% for each subject..if u take 4 subjects onli...then there will be 25% for each subject....maybe that 5% seems to be a small amount for u ....but i think it's better to score 4As rather than getting 3As 2B+ right? getting 4 flat is not an easy job...not to say getting 5As~_~...

so...wat's ur choice...if ur choice is ....GOOD AND STEADY....then 4 subjects...
if u wan RISK and the BEST...then 5 subjects =)

ok then..let's see...wat happen to 1 of my fren is...she took 5 subjects...she was a bio student and took phys as the 5th 1...

so..her result end up with. ....3As , 1B+ in physics and 1 B in bio...

try imagine...if she actually took 4 subjects onli (in physics stream)....she will definitely get CGPA 4.0....since that she self-study physics and yet she can score B+ ...(i'm not saying B+ is good nor bad) =)

ok..another story...y issit STPM hard...ok

1 of my fren....he/she scored 11A1 and 1A2 (chinese) in SPM 2007...then...he/she ended up with form six (i dunno wat's the reason la)....

then he/she chose to study bio...then..in my oppinion...he/she kinda playful throughout form 6 =(
guess wat...he/she ended up with CGPA 3.40...

he/she was actually a very very inteligent girl...he/she was the top among the top..in the school ever since primary school....

so...from that story...do u think that STPM is easy without study hard ? =) i will leave that to u.

hmm...actually STPM can be considered easy if u have the will...

another story...1 of my classmate...she is actually not a intelligent girl...but she is sooo dammm freaking hardworking during STPM......her result in the class is quite bad during lower six...then start from june of 2009...u can see her result improving...start to get B+ in chem and physics (she actually scored C b4 that)...

then in the end...she got A in chem...and others i 4get...but her cgpa is definitely above 3.0..

hmm...ok...personally...i think that STPM is based on 举一反三...coz, in my opinion...the questions i get from the real exam...is sooo much diff from the normal exercise we done....STPM is soo diff from SPM...

SPM's questions are sooooo direct like HIGHWAY...while STPM's are like 迷宫...for stpm...u nid to think deeeeeply into the questions in order to get the right answer...while for SPM...u onli nid to "Swallow" all the things in the book,...and juz "vomit" out during the exam...

if u r trying to do that in STPM...i advise u better jus 4get it..

(if u are post-spm-er..and denied wat i said....juz wait until u end up in form 6...and tell me wat u think =p...i'm experienced =_=)

so...STPM is SURPRISE~ if your heart is strong enuf to overcome the SHOCK....then STPM shud be no problem to u...and...congrats to u too...u will nvr ever get heart attack in your whole life... (ok..it's juz a description==)
yep.i will going for form 6 this year.my spm result not that bad but two science subs not pass D.math and addmath i got B for both.so i will head for art stream taking account one.well I do have the passion to aim 4 flat score since i did not do very well in spm last year.

oh yeah.one thing you reminded me.thanks though.i used to study like last minute in spm.XD of course i won't repeat for stpm again.i don't want to get horrible result ever again U.U

i envy your classmate's friend.i wish i could have the same hardworking ability like her.I don't know yet if i want to take 5 subject.i do think carefully its tough to cope all of them..tomorrow i will be buying stpm books.lol.revising early should be better for me before the game starts like hell in may.

anyway,i am loyal to the gov.rofl.im not that rich..so even if god grant my wish getting 4flat,i would still taking for public Universities. ^_~

thanks for clearing up my worries!
RevolveR is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#137 Old 16-03-2010 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

3.5 friend is now studying in NUS Life Science which is quite a popular course (I was actually doubling in Chem E and Life Science in NUS before I came to CMU). And he is living in the best campus housing on NUS =)

But don't commit suicide seriously...

And congratulations for making a comeback despite the less-than-perfect SPM results! That's really an achievement!

And Kaiyi, A in Chinese is @@... totally phenomenal =) I salute you!

And what Eurytos is trying to tell you is:
Don't give examples of your friends scoring Straight As in SPM but less than 3.5 in STPM because those are subjective. He wants us to look at the facts first which he points out are:

(a) The extra subject does not affect your GPA because you take 3 best subject + PA when considering local uni.

(b) Your extra subject WILL play a role in overseas uni evaluation (Eurytos is now in NTU studying Maths under scholarship. He took FM in 2008 yay =) )

(c) It is true that there will be more division of attention and you have to spend time to balance your CCAs. But given (a) and (b), (c) is really a perspective. For example, I took 5 subjects and was still a Head Prefect, involved in Boys' Brigade, taught Violin and Piano as a part-time teacher, taught Bible Knowledge in my school, was the Chess Club President and was the Conductor for my school's choir club. It's really how passionate you are about what you do. choogirl and tsar also have their lists of CCAs too. 5 subject is not a hindrance to do what you like!

Lastly, Carpe Diem, Per Aspera Ad Astra!
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote