ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Why Is STPM hard?

View Poll Results: STPM
STPM 1 33.33%
STPM 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

bert Male
Less Junior Member

#31 Old 26-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
@bert : thanks.. i think those are really what i lacked.. especially the social capital..
well, I think the real question is what are you going to do about it, and if you really want to do something about it?

Again, from what I've seen, STPM might be hard in terms of amount of stuff you have to memorize?(Correct me if I'm wrong). But I hardly saw friends who did STPM improving that much in terms of analytical skills after they finished. So what does one really learn from this 'difficulty and perseverance', more memorization and regurgitation like SPM? only 'harder'? Maybe your time and effort might be better served elsewhere trying to acquire the other forms of capital and worldview.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
lawteoh Male

#32 Old 27-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodemus View Post

But, later when the public universities result were out, I got another offer letter from USM, to study medicine. So I was contemplating between both of them, and finally succumb to pressure from my peers and teachers. Believe it or not, I rejected the scholarhsip and went to USM. Now I'm stuck here in USMKK, a unhappy and depressed person . I regretted a lot for letting go the golden opportunity to go to Singapore. That's why I'm looking for alternatives now but it seems that I'm going have to finish going through this path that I have chosen...
Just wondering.. why u r unhappy and depressed? Is medic ur first choice in the first place? Hmm..

Well, I might be facing the same predicament as you later.. cz public universities will be out soon..

Btw, that didn't mean that studying in NTU would be easy also right? I believe each course have its own difficulties..
lawteoh is offline   Reply With Quote
nicodemus

#33 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawteoh View Post
Just wondering.. why u r unhappy and depressed? Is medic ur first choice in the first place? Hmm..

Well, I might be facing the same predicament as you later.. cz public universities will be out soon..

Btw, that didn't mean that studying in NTU would be easy also right? I believe each course have its own difficulties..

Nope.. Medicine was never my first choice... But I listed it as one of my first three choices due to pressure from friends, relatives and teachers... I never thought I would get the place but I did...

Yes, I believe studying in NTU wouldn't be easy too and I do believe every course has its own difficulties.. However, if you're studying something you like, then any difficulties would seem simple for you.. That's what I think at least.. Now I'm doin something I don't like, everything seems difficult for me...
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicodemus For This Useful Post:
Trekk Male

#34 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

As I did not do STPM, I can't really say I'm qualified to comment on its level of difficulty. But IMHO this talk about STPM being the 2nd or 3rd hardest exam is nothing more than a legend now. It might have been true in the past, but not so any more. If you look at any of the academic requirements for any university, you can see that they require lower grades for candidates who have A-levels compared to those with STPM. For example, to read law at INTI UC (Subang Jaya), you need a minimum grade of at least CC for STPM students (EE if you sat for it before 2003), whereas students with A-levels only need EE. But A-levels is not considered the 2nd or 3rd hardest exams in the world, yet unis require lower grades for it compared to STPM. Based on this info, I think we can deduce that the STPM standard has dropped, and its not one of the hardest exams anymore.
Trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
lawteoh Male

#35 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodemus View Post
Nope.. Medicine was never my first choice... But I listed it as one of my first three choices due to pressure from friends, relatives and teachers... I never thought I would get the place but I did...

Yes, I believe studying in NTU wouldn't be easy too and I do believe every course has its own difficulties.. However, if you're studying something you like, then any difficulties would seem simple for you.. That's what I think at least.. Now I'm doin something I don't like, everything seems difficult for me...
I see i see.. thanks for the enlightenment.. actually, now I don't really know whether want to go for bioengineering in ntu or not. cause firstly, I do not know how hard it would be. Next, I din even take physics during my form 6 years, except during spm. Although I like maths and thinking, should I go for it? Or perhaps I should go for science (NUS) instead?

P.S: I apply for medic too. If I get it, would go for that.
lawteoh is offline   Reply With Quote
nicodemus

#36 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawteoh View Post
I see i see.. thanks for the enlightenment.. actually, now I don't really know whether want to go for bioengineering in ntu or not. cause firstly, I do not know how hard it would be. Next, I din even take physics during my form 6 years, except during spm. Although I like maths and thinking, should I go for it? Or perhaps I should go for science (NUS) instead?

P.S: I apply for medic too. If I get it, would go for that.

I see... Em, lawteoh, what is your interest actually? You should be able to answer this question first.. Then you should go pursue your studies based on your interest...

I didn't know much about bioengineering, so I couldn't tell you much... But if you opt for sciences, that would be a better choice if you really have no idea what you would like to study.. Science in NUS is very flexible, you only choose your major in later years, so you can try out what you would like during the first year..

From what you mentioned, you took biology for form six... Is that why if you got medic you'll go for it? If you go for medic because you like to study biology or due to any other outside influence, you might not enjoy your uni life...

In a nutshell, my advice is you have to get your thinking straight... What do you really like? What are your strengths? Play to your likings and strengths, and you'll be enjoying what you do...

p.s. I enjoy maths, chemistry, thinking and analyzing.. But since I'm here, the only thing I have been doing is memorising... I don't like it.. Haiz...
nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
kokhong Male
Super Junior Member

#37 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

STPM is like putting all the eggs u laid into one single nest.ur entirely hardwork will be judge according to one final exam.it's either full effort or zero effort.therefore,stpm prevails true winner.
kokhong is offline   Reply With Quote
bubblezlott3 Female

#38 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

STPM is tough because of its syllabus.

As most recom-ers are all science students, I am from the arts stream. I did Economics, Accounting and Business Studies for my STPM. The syllabus is ALOT to study and the examinations are tough. The best way to study is to understand and don't memorize too much you know. I have a lot of friends who struggled through form six and they finished SPM with 10A1s? 11A1s?.

Don't be scared to take STPM. Take it as a challenge. People may say its the no money for college option but once you finish STPM, you feel like you climbed mount kinabalu.
Less Junior Member

#39 Old 28-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
yeah i applied for matrix and it rejected me.

btw, can i know what country recognize STPM?

hardest exam? is that true? I can't believe Malaysia can actually have something that high standard.
Recently i came across a german website. Not sure whether you have heard of DAAD before...DAAD (Deutsche Akademisher Austausch Dienst) is actually helping malaysian students who wish to study in Germany. And apparently, they recognise STPM too. Visit this website: www.daad.de
and you will know the significance of SPTM
chocomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
sugarspice Female
Slightly Senior Member

#40 Old 29-04-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

To those who got medicine in local universities after STPM, may I know medicine was put as your first/second/third/etc choice in the application?
sugarspice is offline   Reply With Quote