ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Why Is STPM hard?

View Poll Results: STPM
STPM 1 33.33%
STPM 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

kokkeonggoh Male
Super Junior Member

#71 Old 01-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

can anyone tell me the way 2 study in stpm?????
kokkeonggoh is offline   Reply With Quote
subzero0c
Less Junior Member

#72 Old 01-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

STPM student 99.99... or maybe 100% percent is non-bumi~~~
Think yourself why STPM so hard~
Plus STPM chance getting the course you want in upu = really less
90% of bumis in Matrik + 10% non - bumi in matrik get into UPU 1st!
STPM so hard to get 4.0 and go in to fill the minor empty space only~~
But if you do Best in STPM dun consider going into UPU who only let u in because of empty minor space cuz it is the 3rd hardest exam in the WORLD!
Probably SG will take you all to study @ NTU or NUS
Super Junior Member

#73 Old 18-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

before being the lower 6 student,i haven't think 2 study STPM.....coz too many teacher&tt advise me don't study stpm.....stpm is so tough n not easily 2 score ......for stpm student,the percentage enter the local u is not higher compared wit the student in matrik so that don't waste u time
hehe...but after entering f6,i just changes my mind about stpm...for me,stpm is didn't so tough n need more memorise(x2)
sim91 is offline   Reply With Quote
erinkoo Female
Super Junior Member

#74 Old 18-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

it's already june now, which you should already have decided on your path. if you have chosen form 6, i salute you and wish you all the best. not many have the guts to walk this path, not even my straight A1's friends. to say that form 6 is one of the hardest examinations, i wouldn't quite agree. it is tough but not to that extent. i Ascored 8A2 2A2 in my spm 06 and managed to get 3A 1A- in my stpm, so why can't you do it? i believe anyone can do it.

you're probably aghasted by the vast difference between spm and stpm level. it is true that spm seems like some kindergarten education when you embark on the form 6 journey. having brains of a genius is not enough or rather, is not the key to succeed in stpm. you have to work hard, really hard. once you have chosen form 6, you should aim for excellence because just scrapping by will get you no where. in fact, it is a must to excel in form 6. if you do, you will have unlimited options ahead of you. getting into matrix/foundations/colleges limits your options. matrix is only usable in malaysia. countries such as uk, spore with good education will only laugh away your applications to university. hence, without a doubt, form 6 keeps your options wide open.

form 6 is difficult due to 2 very simple reasons:
1)extremely vast syllabus (3chemistry books, 2physics, 2math and not forgetting pa, which i don't see the point of learning)
2)limited time to squeeze everything in your tiny brain

therefore, time management is crucial. constant studying with plenty of practices can do you nothing bad. remember, time and effort will never betray you.

why do i stress on the importance of obtaining excellent results in form 6? tis is due to the undeniable fact that stpm students are always, always at a disadvantage. we always lose out to matrix students and not forgetting other applicants from colleges. and the worse thing is stpm is the hardest exam among all those pre-uni exams in malaysia. it is unlike spm level, where strings of A's come out of no where. you can sleep in class the whole 2 years and yet get A. i seriously do not have much pride with my spm results for i surely didn't work hard and the results do not show the real picture. stpm is different because you have to sweat and stress over it to earn every marks.

lastly, all the best to you! if you have chosen form 6, i am very happy as fewer and fewer people are bold enough to choose this path. with hard work, i am positive you will succeed!

View First Unread
kokkeonggoh

#71 2 Weeks Ago Re: Why Is STPM hard?
can anyone tell me the way 2 study in stpm?????

i would just share some of my studying methods. if they are useful to you, im glad to hear that. i think the most important thing is to have a positive mind about form 6. it is surely an earful to hear ppl around you (even your close ones and teachers) condemn form 6. no matter how they discourage you, turn a deaf ear. who's the one studying form 6 now?? you, yourself. although i am never much an optimistic person, i always motivate myself throughout form 6, to keep me going. do not give up when you encounter difficult chapters or questions.

group studies worked well for me in chemistry and physics. i was sceptical about this suggestion which came from my chem teacher because i have never in my life studied in group. however, finding a small group of keen friends, group studies really clear many things for us. as you discuss, even on topics that you have already mastered, it helps enhance your memory on it. besides, it is time saving to assign each member with diff chapters to make short useful notes. of course, you may be afraid of ending of talking more than studying, therefore you should find friends who are disciplined enough to make this work for each of you. having fun once in a while in between does no harm, but it is up to you to dictate the direction of the group studies. be wise.

making notes of my own is also very useful. mainly because we do not have enough time to read all the chapters for the upcoming examinations (you have more and more to read as the clock ticks). hence, short notes help a lot because by reading them, you can refresh your memory on the chapters. with the time saved, you must really do plenty of practices. just reading alone will get you nowhere. familiarise yourself with stpm questions and this will help reinstate the things you have studied. i don't only mean mathematics. i meant every single subject you are taking for stpm.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

It is okay to forget the earlier chapters you have learnt, do not get frustrated at yourself. after all, you're just human. but believe me, practices helps TREMENDOUSLY. sacrifice some of your leisure activities if you do not want to weep over your horrible results at the end of it. im sorry if i have intimidated you but i know truely well, we have to be harsh to ourselves to not forget to work hard.

one important tip i would like to pass down to you. i was unable to revise everything before my trials and that was a mistake. preparations for trials should start as soon as possible eventhough your teacher have yet to finish the syllabus. when you have finished revising for trials, you can use the last two crucial months fully just for PRACTICES. yes, that awful, eyesore word again. it would be wasting time to only start revising because time is so scarce in form 6, so precious..

all the best!
p/s: find studying methods that suits you best=) (eg: i like to listen to music while studying)

it sadens me that form six is so poorly recognised in our very own country, in the eyes of our very own Malaysians. to all form six students, prove these critics wrong!! you won't regret it yourselves too! just like i didn't. if you're ambitious, i encourage you to go overseas with that good stpm results of yours (work hard, and it'll be in your hands!). many renowned universties across the globe are dying for our talent!

Last edited by erinkoo; 18-06-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
erinkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
angina
Super Junior Member

#75 Old 18-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

hi, i couldnt agree more with what erinkoo say.
yeah,now i currently studying in UKM getting my first choice.
everytime when ppl turns to me seeking my advice wheter to study form 6 or not
my answer will be sureeeeee...why not?
i could sum up into a few points
1.the path after form 6 is very rewarding..plenty of choice...scholarship..world recognisation
2.you can take up the local university which is a blessing in terms of money...pays very less money...can take up JPA...plenty of scholarship for u to apply...
3.when u come out to work, you have to admit a very cruel fact...they actually wont see much on your academic result or which uni u come from..they just will overlook your knowledge...the way u brings up yourself...soft skill and so on...
4.the pressure of study very much less...you wont have the financial burden.....the syllabus design is rather very easy...(but u still have to work hard)...plenty of time joining various activity and developing myself...

sharing my some experience, i could only it is only fun in university....especially my first year...yet can maintain my result...joining many leadership camp..competition...activity..
my advicce......for those intend to take form 6 ..work hard and strike for the best...the rainbow should come after the rain.....cheers
angina is offline   Reply With Quote
erinkoo Female
Super Junior Member

#76 Old 19-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

just to share with you guys. the upu results were released earlier today and i got my 6th choice. with a cgpa of 3.92, i don't quite see this coming. anyway, im still not gonna put u off with stpm. it depends also on the course you apply for, with your results. we have to be realistic, that's the undeniable fact.

for example, a friend of mine has a cgpa of 3.5 but failed to enter any of the ipta. not even one. why? because irrational choices of course. medic, pharmacy, dentistry and the list goes on.. even with cgpa of 4.0, you are certainly not guarenteed these sizzling-hot courses. many regard my cousin as lucky to get medic in ukm eventhough he scored 4-flat. REALITY.. stpm are always, always at a disadvantage, like it or not.

Well, i took my chances by applyin courses which requires 3.92 and above (well, i thought i would stand a chance..) by applying for actuarial science. busted! lost out to the 'better ones'.. or are they really? i don't know.. none of us know.. from my 4th choice onwards to my 6th, it was chemical engineering with um, ukm, ums in order. got ums for chem eng. but before this i did reject usm for math n econs (1st choice, in favour of NTU sg=p). i was wondering upu would offer me either one of my top 2 choices, then i might reconsider not going to sg.

looks like im destined for NTU! NTU,here i come! since my very own country 'disowned' me.. haha..

the significant advantage of stpm is countries like singapore would welcome you with open arms. and the benefit of studying stpm to me, it creates a whole new me. i got tougher, more independent and happier. form 6 life was never somethin i could regret.

Last edited by erinkoo; 19-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erinkoo For This Useful Post:
mitsukolyn Female

#77 Old 24-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkoo View Post
just to share with you guys. the upu results were released earlier today and i got my 6th choice. with a cgpa of 3.92, i don't quite see this coming. anyway, im still not gonna put u off with stpm. it depends also on the course you apply for, with your results. we have to be realistic, that's the undeniable fact.

for example, a friend of mine has a cgpa of 3.5 but failed to enter any of the ipta. not even one. why? because irrational choices of course. medic, pharmacy, dentistry and the list goes on.. even with cgpa of 4.0, you are certainly not guarenteed these sizzling-hot courses. many regard my cousin as lucky to get medic in ukm eventhough he scored 4-flat. REALITY.. stpm are always, always at a disadvantage, like it or not.

Well, i took my chances by applyin courses which requires 3.92 and above (well, i thought i would stand a chance..) by applying for actuarial science. busted! lost out to the 'better ones'.. or are they really? i don't know.. none of us know.. from my 4th choice onwards to my 6th, it was chemical engineering with um, ukm, ums in order. got ums for chem eng. but before this i did reject usm for math n econs (1st choice, in favour of NTU sg=p). i was wondering upu would offer me either one of my top 2 choices, then i might reconsider not going to sg.

looks like im destined for NTU! NTU,here i come! since my very own country 'disowned' me.. haha..

the significant advantage of stpm is countries like singapore would welcome you with open arms. and the benefit of studying stpm to me, it creates a whole new me. i got tougher, more independent and happier. form 6 life was never somethin i could regret.
If our local U doesnot acept us, is Spore offering us scholarships if we got cgpa 3.5 above?
mitsukolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
lawteoh Male

#78 Old 24-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsukolyn View Post
If our local U doesnot acept us, is Spore offering us scholarships if we got cgpa 3.5 above?
SG only offer you a chance to go for an interview for the scholarship(nanyang/asean) if you get a high CGPA (preferrably 3.92 and above).. however, you could try applying singapore scholarship. view this link for singapore scholarship.

http://www.malaysia-scholarship.com/singapore.html

so far according to my observation, candidates with 4.0 has a higher chance to be successful in the interview..

And if u get CGPA 3.5 and above, u r already almost guaranteed a course there (based on statistics for this year) , which makes u eligible to get tuition grant, tuition fee loan and study fee loan.

So, do study hard and smart starting from now. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkoo View Post

I like what you wrote.. well, my own country 'disown' me too.. lolz.. =)

Last edited by lawteoh; 24-06-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
lawteoh is offline   Reply With Quote
erinkoo Female
Super Junior Member

#79 Old 27-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsukolyn View Post
scholarship is hard to obtain. my senior also told me that you only stand a chance to be interviewed if ur cgpa is 3.92 and above. mine is 3.92 but i didnt get any call. neither did my friend and senior. so, it is highly competitive, without a doubt. one of my seniors got ASEAN but he's a level above me. haha.. he scored 4flat and his kokurikulum is well, erm, outstanding! lol.

but ders always loan.. not to worry, i'd say. it's quite affordable after loans.. so long you dun live a luxurious life in sg uni.. haha.. if your family can afford, dun let tis opportunity slip away.. opportunities wait for no man..

Last edited by erinkoo; 27-06-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Faker
Super Junior Member

#80 Old 27-06-2009 Default Re: Why Is STPM hard?

I don't think STPM is hard... it depends on how u handle it ^^
Faker is offline   Reply With Quote