ReCom.org
Hardware and Software Issues Any issues related to hardware and software should be discussed here

SMC Hardware Problems

Athersin

#1 Old 26-07-2009 Default SMC Hardware Problems

helo, recomers, i face a problem of internet connection by an external device known as SMC Wireless USB 2.0 adapter.It discnnect every 10minutes like that.so what should i do? thanks for those who can really help me to explain that.
whoever got use such device to connect to wifi, pls advice me on that.

#2 Old 26-07-2009 Default Re: SMC Hardware Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athersin View Post
helo, recomers, i face a problem of internet connection by an external device known as SMC Wireless USB 2.0 adapter.It discnnect every 10minutes like that.so what should i do? thanks for those who can really help me to explain that.
whoever got use such device to connect to wifi, pls advice me on that.
Am using an SMC wireless ADSL2 router modem at home, and it works perfectly for me. Have never used SMC wireless adapter before, but i guess it functions very much the same like any other wireless adapters in the market.

Is the problem due to the network itself instead of the hardware? When u connect to a certain network, how's the signal strength? If the signal strength is poor, then being disconnected is quite common.

You can try to use the adapter at different locations to test its reliability. If the same problem persists, that might be due to the hardware itself. Having a defective hardware sucks, but you could replace it if it's still under warranty

For your info, some hardware by certain manufacturers do have technical issues. For example, most Dell laptops have poor built-in wifi adapter, according to my friends. The speed is frustrating, the the connection isn't good at all.
Speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speeddemon For This Useful Post:
Athersin

#3 Old 27-07-2009 Default Re: SMC Hardware Problems

the signal strength stated is very good, But once in 10 minutes, it disconnected.
When i press the option of 'Viewing available network', there isnt any network available, i have to go to my SMC harware dekstop to select the available wireless network to connect to it.

I dunno how it works, but usually i will plug the SMC device into my laptop if wanted to connect to the WIFI.My latop isnt have the integrated built in device that can detect wireless network. Thus i suppose it should be an old brand laptop.Or should i go and pay the fees to integrate it?

i suppose the problems lied within the hardware(SMC) itself, because most of my frens can do it perfectly well in connecting to our university wifi with exception to me who can hardly connect to it using my laptop.
The Student
Administrator

#4 Old 27-07-2009 Default Re: SMC Hardware Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athersin View Post
the signal strength stated is very good, But once in 10 minutes, it disconnected.
When i press the option of 'Viewing available network', there isnt any network available, i have to go to my SMC harware dekstop to select the available wireless network to connect to it.

I dunno how it works, but usually i will plug the SMC device into my laptop if wanted to connect to the WIFI.My latop isnt have the integrated built in device that can detect wireless network. Thus i suppose it should be an old brand laptop.Or should i go and pay the fees to integrate it?

i suppose the problems lied within the hardware(SMC) itself, because most of my frens can do it perfectly well in connecting to our university wifi with exception to me who can hardly connect to it using my laptop.
You can try looking for a mini PCI card and slot it into your laptop to use wifi. But I doubt there is any available on the net...

I am thinking there might be a problem with your SMC card. To verify that, you can try using the stick on another computer, and unplug it's lan cable. Try connecting using that computer and see if it disconnects at the same rate...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote