ReCom.org
Hardware and Software Issues Any issues related to hardware and software should be discussed here

Google Chrome

jayden

#11 Old 03-09-2008 Default

The sites load pretty fast for me, but I'm also not used to not having the extensions that I used to have in firefox. I have no problems with scrolling though.

I'm currently using Firefox 3.0.1 and it has crashed a few times already. The weird thing is I get the crash notice only after I close firefox.

jayden is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#12 Old 03-09-2008 Default

I've been living in an extensionless world for quite some time now, so the lack of extensions don't really bother me at all. I am bothered by the lack of quick and smooth scrolling though, since it is my primary way of navigating the web page...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Thirdshifter
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#13 Old 04-09-2008 Default

chrome is pretty fast. I like bare bone browsers.
Slightly Senior Member

#14 Old 04-09-2008 Default

Have been using Chrome for a day, thought I'd share what I think of it. First, I like its clean and simple interface (I tried Flock for a while and gave up as it is TOO cluttered and I just hate it) and it is quite fast in loading. However, when I tried to install a university digital certificate on the browser, Chrome fails to generate one despite several attempts. I never have problems installing the digital certificate on Firefox or IE. The reason given is that the browser might need extra extensions and I'm thinking that the certificate might not be compatible yet with Chrome but for now, without the digital certificate, Chrome is quite useless for me. All-in-all, I still prefer Firefox for its user-friendliness.
caramel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
qedx
Slightly Senior Member

#15 Old 05-09-2008 Default

Apparently the code available at http://code.google.com/chromium/ for linux does not actually compile into a working application. It's pretty much all tests at the moment, so I am a bit bummed. I hope a linux version comes out soon.
qedx is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#16 Old 05-09-2008 Default

<the code doesn't work because it's specifically coded for windows and doesn't make use of the various frameworks under Linux

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
nigelsim Male
Less Junior Member

#17 Old 06-09-2008 Default

i can't open multiple pdf files at once... i wonder if it's a bug or is it the same for other browsers?
nigelsim is offline   Reply With Quote
edoovel Male
Super Junior Member

#18 Old 06-09-2008 Default

Sadly, I am using Windows XP SP1, so I can't use Google Chrome, sad thing to mention. By the way, I seriously want to try this out. Through videos in google, I saw that the browser is quite simple, light weight, but I can't really experience. Any idea to help?
edoovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Smilehoe

#19 Old 06-09-2008 Default

Consider updating to SP2?
Smilehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#20 Old 07-09-2008 Default

upgrade your windows to sp3, it will then support Chrome browser.

@Niglsim: haven't encountered the problem yet, but i'll play around with pdf files to see if it hangs

So far i have had tabs with flash videos crashing when i left it open for too long. But the browser handled it nicely, letting the flash plugin crash while preserving the rest of the page.