ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Corruption and Land Deals

eve88 Female

#1 Old 20-03-2013 Default Corruption and Land Deals

http://www.globalwitness.org/insides...ate/index.html

Interesting video - yes, we all know this is happening, but to have the details of how and what spelt out, and the prices that our land is bought and sold for - food for thought.
eve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2 Old 21-03-2013 Default Re: Corruption and Land Deals

It's quite chilling how they so casually discuss their under-the-table dealings, like it's just a part of life. And it really angers me, especially the way they're so patronising. The lady is so self-important and all 'oh yeah he's my cousin lol, i'm a big shot and can help you get what you want'. And that lawyer. Really gets to me as a law student, that someone could be so callous about circumventing the law - and even be proud of it. Disgusting.

But what disgusted me most were two things:
1) The way they insulted the indigenous folk.
2) The way they tried to justify/defend Taib.

For 1) - these are the people who vote them in election after election, and they dare to call them gullible, and stupid, and subservient? Isn't it enough that they trod on these people, without also shredding their dignity and giving them no appreciation?

And 2) - it's galling that she could say that the good Taib's done has outweighed the bad - yes, because all the Sarawakians are living comfortably in the middle class, with proper infrastructure and access to amenities. And how dare she say crap like 'Which leader is not corrupt?' to justify a wrong?

I know we're not supposed to take sides politically, but this isn't a political issue anymore. It's not debatable. It's clear-cut corruption, as if we didn't already know it was happening - we've seen quite a bit of evidence before, and a lot more now. If the MACC continues to drag its feet on this, it deserves an overhaul. And if Taib can retain his position, it's ridiculous. It's not a partisan thing to want a corrupt leader (bearing in mind that corruption is a CRIME) out of office.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
froet213kil Male
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 24-03-2013 Default Re: Corruption and Land Deals

This isn't about politics anymore, nor one should feel bad about his action just because he is a part of reigning government. This is a simple social injustice case. Let's say I'm from the pembangkang, and one of the pembangkangs is involved in bribery. I'll not hesitate to put him in prison. The complication is merely due to the fact that most (if not all) politicians (right or left, i'm not taking sides) have their own interests. and social welfare is, most of the time, not one of them. Taib is not an anonymous outside of malaysia, especially when you have an account at the swiss bank. and he's been infamous since, idk, for 10 years or so perhaps? but i don't see any advance in the anti corruption investigation squad.

Unless, corruption is indeed acceptable among the malaysians, then i rest my case. because i know some who willingly accepts this act, and his argument is because every politician does it.

p/s some say that global witness is associated to soros who has an evil plan to destroy malaysia, and the siblings and friends of Taib are being paid or willingly to do so to see the fall of Taib. the video is one of the modus operandi. you gotta love the conspiracy theory.
froet213kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#4 Old 25-03-2013 Default Re: Corruption and Land Deals

It's so futile that they point fingers. It's one thing to say the matter is a political one (and in such a case I don't think we'd dare be too partisan) but where it involves what is clearly a crime, all bets are off. I don't care they want to claim they were baited and tricked by the Global Witness people, you can't just make people say rubbish like 'the locals treat us like kings' or 'they are actually squatters', or the other things. There's no context where I can imagine those statements could ever be objectively innocent.

Now, we just have to see how they react to it. The MACC has been 'looking into' Taib for ages. And now they have very concrete, and very public, proof. There are no more excuses. If it takes more than a week to have Taib brought in for questioning of some sort, I think we won't hesitate to call it fishy. The way I see it, Najib only has two options now. He can either ignore it, suppress the news in the local papers (like he has done for the Scorpene/Altantuya issues) and hope it blows over, OR he can use it as leverage to finally push Taib out - which may even help his standing with opposition-leaning voters.

But of course, being the cautious and weak-willed leader that he is, I doubt Najib will take the bold course...
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#5 Old 25-03-2013 Default Re: Corruption and Land Deals

Re: Conspiracy theory that global witness being associated with Soros.

They can be sent by devil itself for all I care. It doesn't change what the video shows and what it implies.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
eve88 Female

#6 Old 05-04-2013 Default Re: Corruption and Land Deals

Just a quick point (referencing also this thread http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15452 about ppl who vote for corrupt governments deserve them)

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...87&sec=sarawak : Sarawak BN to stop distribution of Global Witness video among rural folk

Yep, so now if you're in a kampung you don't get to see the Global Witness video. With the upcoming General Elections, it does look like the government is sweeping this under the carpet. I somehow doubt that BN Sarawak would be this blatant if there wasn't support from central government.
eve88 is offline   Reply With Quote