ReCom.org
ReCom Language and Literature Corner Want to teach a cool language? Have some literature you want to share with others? This is the place to be

Studying A Foreign Language

Ikmisje Female
Super Junior Member

#61 Old 26-07-2009 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Okay, I am currently learning Dutch and German. I was a bit hesistant at first because learning two languages at once could be quite a hassle (esp these two Germanic languages are similar in a lot ways), but I have decided to give it a try as the Dutch saying goes “Niet geschoten is altijd mis.” [means: if u do not try, u will never have a chance]... So as a beginner, I have books borrowed from my uni library, books and CDs downloaded from the net. I tend to find Germanic languages easier than French or Spanish (and thanks goodness, I am not interested in them as well)

I try to focus on written Dutch and German before I proceed to speaking and pronounciations. The best way to lean a new foreign language is (like many mentioned) live in that particular country where everything u see in sight and hear is that language (interacting with the native speakers works the best)

Learning Dutch started off for some really stupid and personal reasons. Loving that country, people, culture and language all happened because of a guy. However, my efforts put in picking up German is a way to prepare myself to study and travel in German one day.

Last edited by Ikmisje; 26-07-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Ikmisje is offline   Reply With Quote
bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#62 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athersin View Post
As Malaysians, we have a real edge in learning languages because most of us start off already knowing three very different languages. Often we have an inferiority complex because we are always worse than the native speakers of all the languages we are taught at school, but the truth is that just by knowing the languages we do know to the extent that we know them gives us some entry into many other languages in the world.

I've been learning French recently and have been pleasantly surprised to find how close it is to English, which is not even a Romance language.

Just as an example, in school, one is always told not to translate word for word from Malay to English because that results in very funny things on your exam script but rather to think in English. Transliterating from English to French, one is right 90% of the time. It's quite amazing.

Also amazing was that the supposedly very bright students at the well-known uni I'm at (where I took the French classes) are on the whole poorer language learners than your average Malaysian in secondary school. They make all the same mistakes - and more.
French is not close to English. English is close to French. That is because middle and modern English were influenced by french(oil language) when England was conquered by the Normans. English is an amalgam of French and German. The original English doesn't look like anything we know today.
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
myra
Super Junior Member

#63 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush View Post
French is not close to English. English is close to French. That is because middle and modern English were influenced by french(oil language) when England was conquered by the Normans. English is an amalgam of French and German. The original English doesn't look like anything we know today.

ou really..?? i am interested to learn french as i've already learned the languange when i was in secondary school..but i learn it for 3 years..but i can't speak french, just for basic word instead.
I wanna learn more n wanna speak fluently in french..
myra is offline   Reply With Quote
bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#64 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlene View Post
Cantonese is a piece of cake if you know Mandarin. It is just a dialect, not a language. Basically, it share similiar grammer with Mandarin.

If you are serious about learning a new foreign language, it is better to attend class where you can really learn..There 'll be teacher so you can always seek for guidance. Of course, songs and drama may help, but not as effective as attending a class.
Cantonese is a language on its own. 粤语

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra View Post
ou really..?? i am interested to learn french as i've already learned the languange when i was in secondary school..but i learn it for 3 years..but i can't speak french, just for basic word instead.
I wanna learn more n wanna speak fluently in french..
Speaking is always a problem, at least for me. I think in English, conjugate the verbs then speak in french. Not easy for me.

I do way better in writing and reading.

You just have to live in a francophone community if you want to improve. Getting a copain/copine, petit(e) ami(e) or chum/blonde works too.....

Last edited by bush; 27-03-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
myra
Super Junior Member

#65 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:

Speaking is always a problem, at least for me. I think in English, conjugate the verbs then speak in french. Not easy for me.

I do way better in writing and reading.

You just have to live in a francophone community if you want to improve. Getting a copain/copine, petit(e) ami(e) or chum/blonde works too.....

ya...french is quite hard to learn..but the pronounciation is not to hard..
i tried to learn this languange by my own..heh,,
btw..i don't really have big confident to speak in english too..but i can write and read english books..,,how can i improve it?
i wanna prepare for the interview that will be held in english!
myra is offline   Reply With Quote
BattleBoyz Male
Slightly Senior Member

#66 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra View Post
ya...french is quite hard to learn..but the pronounciation is not to hard..
i tried to learn this languange by my own..heh,,
btw..i don't really have big confident to speak in english too..but i can write and read english books..,,how can i improve it?
i wanna prepare for the interview that will be held in english!
I think we are both on the same boat. I, too can write and read well but not speak. Maybe we should start to talk to ourselves in front of the mirror although its a bit awkward to do so.

Live your life to the fullest, for yourself and for those around you.
BattleBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholasng925 Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#67 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBoyz View Post
I think we are both on the same boat. I, too can write and read well but not speak. Maybe we should start to talk to ourselves in front of the mirror although its a bit awkward to do so.
It's one of the most effective ways to upgrade your English speaking skill though. At least that applies to me.

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
=[{Albert Einstein}]=

Feel free to visit my blog here!!!
Nicholasng925 is offline   Reply With Quote
nickvl
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#68 Old 27-03-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

One of the things I've always wanted to do was to learn a new language. I got my wish, but it wasn't exactly what I thought I would do. Someday perhaps I might still pick up French...

Learning German or Deutsch is hmmm....in terms of pronouncing is not all that difficult but listening to a native speaker is hell for me. Funnily though, throught Deutsch grammar, I finally realised what nouns and verbs and conjugation, that my primary school English teachers taught, are

One thing though, it's difficult to think in English and translate...
nickvl is offline   Reply With Quote
fastreaderX Female
Super Junior Member

#69 Old 04-04-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

i think the simple way to learn a foreign language is you must read,write,listen and speak a lot.
fastreaderX is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#70 Old 04-04-2010 Default Re: Studying a foreign language

Quote:
Eh, really? Then how about Hokkien, Hakka, etc...?

May you be well and happy!!! :)
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote