ReCom.org
SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

Studying tips on stpm

Scrmath Male

#1 Old 07-03-2009 Smile Studying tips on stpm

Hi,i plan to take form6 but i heard f6 is hard.Do u all hav any tips to share with about muet and physics? And wad books are recommended for math t?
Scrmath is offline   Reply With Quote
starfire Female
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 07-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

well, muet basically u need to adapt to da syllabus. do subscribe english newspaper at least once a week, and read da articles like in Letters for Editor. for da vocal part, you'd need to get a group of frens and practice sum useful topics like tourism (cliche) to warm up ur acquaintance wif points tat u might need drg ur test.

math t i heard my teacher saying da new textbook aint as good as da obsolete old one. i was blessed wif an experienced math tchr and a good tuition tchr as well.
I think for practice, u should look up Federal maths T, the thick version wif topical past year questions frm way back til 2004. (mayb they hav a newer edition? mine was til 04 n i bought it in 07).

cant help u on physics coz i was in bio stream.
starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starfire For This Useful Post:
Scrmath Male

#3 Old 08-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

Thx for sharing yr tips with me.I wan to ask u is there got any reliable source apart from newspaper to read to improve developing idea and points for speaking part and writting part?like reader's digest etc. And how u read newspaper for pengajian am to improve it?
markwongsk Male
Developer

#4 Old 08-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

Basically Physics is about formulae... Apart from knowing how to derive, you must know how to apply. The trick in STPM is they normally mask the values of the unknowns either by not giving them at all and asking you to give answers in unknowns, or by letting you find them through other formulae... So a simple formula will need multiple substitutions before you get the final answer.

As usual, the bottom line for all Mathematics questions, practice makes perfect.
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Gabrielle90
Slightly Senior Member

#5 Old 09-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

what about chemistry? anyone wants to share?
Gabrielle90 is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#6 Old 09-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

For physical chem it's mostly about calculation. Focus on Thermochemistry since almost every year there are questions on this chapter. Also, be sure you are familiar with the laws (not only the definition, its application too!!!)

Things like PV=nRT, E=hf etc etc should be second nature to you. Sometimes, you may not seem to understand the question. What I always do is list down the numerical data provided and try to recall an equation that can link them.

For example I give you acid dissocation constant and pH. ask you find Ka. From pH I can find [H] and hence I can find a related equation.

Of course, another part of physical chem is shape prediction. Be sure you understand this part because although it will not necessarily come out, the knowledge is important for further chapters.

Inorganic chem needs memorization. So depending on your reasoning power, it may be easy or hard. If you don't understand the explanations, you can still score but memorization will be difficult. So try to really really understand the reactions and whatnots. (I don't like inorganic chem because well, memorization Also, it's difficult to score full marks because you either lose a point here and there or you remembered the wrong equation. Physical chem is mostly calculation so easy to score. Organic is fun =D)

Organic chem.... The killer part? That's what my friends said. However, I totally love organic chem. For this, I suggest if you find laziness in yourself to read the Tan Yin Toon Organic Chemistry book, forgo that and just buy the longman past year questions and READ READ READ the organic part. The most common question that will come out in the essay part is asking you to predict W, X, Y, Z etc etc.

Ex. W reacts with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine to produce orange precipitate. W decolourizes potassium manganate (VII) to form X. X has an isomer Y which gives a positive iodoform test. [This is a randomly thought question and does not have an answer]

It is clear that for Organic Chem you either learn it or don't because you have to study it as a whole package, possessing the ability to relate all the chemical compounds with one another.

That said, good luck in your Chemistry!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markwongsk For This Useful Post:
lawteoh Male

#7 Old 09-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

well, better take note of mark wong comment.. since he is getting the you-know-what thing tmr..
lawteoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Scrmath Male

#8 Old 10-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
For physical chem it's mostly about calculation. Focus on Thermochemistry since almost every year there are questions on this chapter. Also, be sure you are familiar with the laws (not only the definition, its application too!!!)

Things like PV=nRT, E=hf etc etc should be second nature to you. Sometimes, you may not seem to understand the question. What I always do is list down the numerical data provided and try to recall an equation that can link them.

For example I give you acid dissocation constant and pH. ask you find Ka. From pH I can find [H] and hence I can find a related equation.

Of course, another part of physical chem is shape prediction. Be sure you understand this part because although it will not necessarily come out, the knowledge is important for further chapters.

Inorganic chem needs memorization. So depending on your reasoning power, it may be easy or hard. If you don't understand the explanations, you can still score but memorization will be difficult. So try to really really understand the reactions and whatnots. (I don't like inorganic chem because well, memorization Also, it's difficult to score full marks because you either lose a point here and there or you remembered the wrong equation. Physical chem is mostly calculation so easy to score. Organic is fun =D)

Organic chem.... The killer part? That's what my friends said. However, I totally love organic chem. For this, I suggest if you find laziness in yourself to read the Tan Yin Toon Organic Chemistry book, forgo that and just buy the longman past year questions and READ READ READ the organic part. The most common question that will come out in the essay part is asking you to predict W, X, Y, Z etc etc.

Ex. W reacts with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine to produce orange precipitate. W decolourizes potassium manganate (VII) to form X. X has an isomer Y which gives a positive iodoform test. [This is a randomly thought question and does not have an answer]

It is clear that for Organic Chem you either learn it or don't because you have to study it as a whole package, possessing the ability to relate all the chemical compounds with one another.

That said, good luck in your Chemistry!

How abt pengajian am? Is reading newspaper really helps?There are so many things in newspaper and how should i jot down the important points to score in exam? And is paper 1 is the harder version of spm sejarah?
markwongsk Male
Developer

#9 Old 10-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmath View Post
How abt pengajian am? Is reading newspaper really helps?There are so many things in newspaper and how should i jot down the important points to score in exam? And is paper 1 is the harder version of spm sejarah?
paper 1 is way different than sejarah. It is generally divided into 3 types of questions:

(1) General questions and knowledge. Knowledge about the newest Dasar-dasar, etc will help. [I TOTALLY HATE THIS]

(2) Knowledge about everything Malaysia (goes deeper into sejarah, better start reading Oxford fajar bakti and longman PA1 books and - here's the dreader word - MEMORIZE!]

(3) Calculations [I LOVE THIS - REASON: NO MEMORIZATION!!!] you need to know how to calculate fooball scores, insurances, permutations, time schedules and anything or everything that has got to do with everyday numbers... boils down to logic in the end though it helps to get acquainted with words like "kadar purata", "kadar mendatar" etc...

PA2: This is tips I got from my teacher who's an examiner:

You can answer ALL questions, examiner will mark and choose the highest
You can answer a question TWICE, examiner will mark and choose the highest. That means that:

If you are unsure about an essay question, ie if you dono whether it's supposed to be 2 kesan and 2 langkah or 4 kesan, you can choose to write TWO ESSAYS on the same topic with different isi... if you got the time... it is not encourageable but hey, I did that

If you are unsure about the graph question you can draw 2 graphs on the same question. Same concept applies

Some things to note about how marks are allocated

Essay: you better get all isi correct. And you MUST know the question requirements. Sometimes the question masks the requirement for example..

Pencemaran air bukan sahaja disebabkan oleh pembuangan sampah-sarap ke dalam sumber air. Oleh itu, langkah-langkah yang wajar harus diambil untuk membendung masalah ini. Ulaskan pernyataan di atas

Everytime you see the word ulaskan, be careful because (normally) it has 2 requirements. As in the example, the answer requires 2 punca and 2 langkah. No marks are awarded for writing extra puncas. Markers will choose the highest paragraph.

Some essay questions are direct and simple straightforward. These can be seen through questions which goes something like this:

_____________________________ (this is the prompt). Nyatakan (punca/kesan/langkah)________________________

These essays are easy. Straightaway you have to think of 4 isi of the same criteria (normally... there ARE exceptions however, but this is a general guideline)

Another rule... The essays are divided into Art and Science, do not mix the isi for both types of essays... I quote one very painful experience of mine:

Penerokaan angkasa lepas banyak membawa faedah kepada negara. Namun, terdapat penentangan terhadap program penerokaan angkasa lepas dalam kalangan rakyat. Ulaskan pernyataan di atas.

First note: this is from Science question, so answer must be in science. Unfortunately, I answered nothing about science...

Second note: Ulaskan = be careful. The question wants faedah and keburukan...

Third note: Penerokaan angkasa lepas does NOT confine the topic to our astronaut going to outerspace. It involves satelite etc etc..

My answer: Kebaikan - Membina keyakinan dan semangat patriotik rakyat, Menjana ekonomi negara dengan pelaburan asing etc etc... (both nothing to do with science)

Keburukan - terhilang fokus pembangunan modal insan negara, dianggap pembaziran wang. (also nothing to do with Science)

My marks? 1/25 -.-

Answer: Kebaikan - memudahkan telekomunikasi, memainkan peranan dalam pertahanan negara, membolehkan kajicuaca dijalankan

Keburukan - pencemaran, penyalahgunaan teknologi sebagai senjata perisik etc etc...

Of course, there are exceptions where you CAN use sastera isi (getting confused? I was too ) This are grouped under Sains Sosial.

I think I will stop here, this is getting too long a thread. Hope you learned something... I will continue on graph (which has its hukum-hakam) next time...

Good luck and God bless in your STPM!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to markwongsk For This Useful Post:
starfire Female
Less Junior Member

#10 Old 12-03-2009 Default Re: Studying tips on stpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmath View Post
Thx for sharing yr tips with me.I wan to ask u is there got any reliable source apart from newspaper to read to improve developing idea and points for speaking part and writting part?like reader's digest etc. And how u read newspaper for pengajian am to improve it?

well, NST does have a Muet section once a week i believe, and the Letters for Editor section, together with Opinions, allows you to c the high level of english among the contributors... their points are helpful sumtimes, depending on the topics... Star i'm not sure, but you can buy both for say, a week, and analyse. Star's wednesday edition has da stuff@school part which is quite interesting. I stayed wif NST coz it's thinner than The Star, easier to finish so as to not get too carried away. but it's up to you. reader's digest is quite helpful in the sense that it widens your horizons.... somehow lil points frm here n thre can help in ur muet. even ur vocab. and if u order frm school it's at student price.

PA... basically i guess u should check out Kyoto Protocol, ICC, ICJ etc. Topics or opinions that cum out on newspaper now doesnt always end up in our paper.... same goes for muet speaking/writing. my Muet tchr has newspaper cuttings from years back and those were really helpful, timeless topics, with facts and datas. so unless u hav been collecting them... dont put too much hope tat stuffs u read will be in STPM. although it does help to take note of current events like the recession now. be prepared to face sum paper 2 questions whre those taking Econs wil hav d upper hand.

i dont think paper 1 as harder version of sejarah, Scrmath. for one thing, our paper 1 only encompasses da kenegaraan part of sejarah. markwongsk alrd provided u study methods ;) jz read ur long man thoroughly and do lots of practice... get urself acquainted to types of questions they like to ask... u'll find tat some are sumwat repeated in one way or anthr. i had a tuition tchr who provided lots of objective paper 1 questions for us to complete every lesson, and school tchr does the same.
dont hate paper 1 just yet.

calculation part is fairly easy, but do make sure u know how to calc interests rate and exchage rates. like harga membeli n harga jualan for US dollars n Ringgit Msia.... u should know which value to use depending on da questions.

Last edited by starfire; 12-03-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starfire For This Useful Post: