ReCom.org
Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Allowances Abroad

aioxen
Less Junior Member

#71 Old 14-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade
what about UK? how much would you need to survive for a month in london and how much allowance will you get? I'm a MARA scholar but any information from other sponsors are welcomed.
jpa
london 490~
other places 430~
(correct me if im wrong)

i think its enuf.....
aioxen is offline   Reply With Quote
aioxen
Less Junior Member

#72 Old 14-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by aioxen
a question here....
when we r haviing holiday....does jpa still give allowances to us?
Would they want you to die in the cold?
hehe.......if they still give us the allowances, IF we come home.....we wud save a lot....imagine rm 3000+ a month 4 uk...huhu
aioxen is offline   Reply With Quote
byzura
Super Junior Member

#73 Old 14-06-2007 Default

Quote:
what about UK? how much would you need to survive for a month in london and how much allowance will you get? I'm a MARA scholar but any information from other sponsors are welcomed.
how bout US? i'm a MARA scholar too. deathly curious to know!
byzura is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#74 Old 14-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiunlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumeichan
Two of the best actuarial science unis in US is located in NYC. That is NYU and Michigan U.

I have already asked some people on another forum with lots of Americans about the cost of living in NYC. All who replied said 740 is not enough. We would need at least USD1500 per month for lodging and food and JPA is giving us only half of that.

Even the cheaper places in NYC won't make a big difference. And in NYC, it is either high class area or the area you won't want to be in.
Since when is Umich in NYC area? Anyway, I agree 740 is not enough to survive in NYC. Heck it might not even be enough to get a decent accommodation. But then again, if you're under JPA, you can choose not to go to NYU(Umich is better anyway).

Well of course the best when it comes to allowances is to go to unis in boondocks like mine. Stay on campus, sign up for the meal plan, spend wisely and the $140 allowance per month is enough for quite a number of trips(FYI, I just got back from 3 weeks of road trip in west coast)
Yup, I ask my Aunt in US if $740 is enough and she said I might not even last under that.
capablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
evan89
Less Junior Member

#75 Old 14-06-2007 Default

how bout germany? is it enough? roughly how the living costs there
evan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
mumeichan
Less Junior Member

#76 Old 14-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzura
Quote:
US is very big. Which part of US. New YorksCity it seem to be USD1500 a month.

Michigan is supposed to be abit lower than NYC. Uni of Michigan Ann Arbor extimates it to be USD11.5k a yea which I persume to be much lower than the actual amount.
mumeichan is offline   Reply With Quote
byzura
Super Junior Member

#77 Old 15-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Michigan is supposed to be abit lower than NYC. Uni of Michigan Ann Arbor extimates it to be USD11.5k a yea which I persume to be much lower than the actual amount.
how about Chicago and Florida?
byzura is offline   Reply With Quote
jane_gun
Less Junior Member

#78 Old 15-06-2007 Default Re: Allowances Abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein
Erm.... for those who are going overseas, especially under MARA, JPA and Petronas, can u tell me the amount that u get for one month? Is accomodation and food provided or tanggung sendiri? Coz I need to make up my mind about the country I need to go...... If inconvenient, please PM me......
If you're in Australia under JPA, you get a monthly allowance of AUD1200 (if you're in the city/metropolitan areas; slightly lesser if not) - you settle accomodation, food, etc. using this sum yourself. JPA will bank in AUD3600 into your account every 3 months... But you'll still be getting annual textbooks & equipment allowance plus practical allowance of AUD10 a day if you're travelling to a teaching hospital for clinicals where the hospital is more than 16km one way (which is the case for some students like me and not for others, depending which hospital you're based at - the nearest one is just 10mins walk from uni...)... For the first year, you'll also get elaun penempatan (for settling in) of a few hundred AUD + winter clothes allowance (about AUD700 if my memory serves me correctly)... You can also claim back the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) membership fees from JPA and other miscellaneous stuff like medication when you're sick... hope these info are of help to you or anyone interested in knowing more... =)
jane_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
mumeichan
Less Junior Member

#79 Old 15-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

how about Chicago and Florida?
I am not sure about Chicago, but Florida if I am not mistaken is quite an expensive place.
mumeichan is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#80 Old 15-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just check out the estimate cost of living with comes with the INTI booklet. I got show partial list of cost of living by the university. Uni of MIch. very expensive indeed.
capablanca is offline   Reply With Quote