ReCom.org
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

JPA American bound scholars

mumeichan
Less Junior Member

#81 Old 04-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca
Then, does anyone know where to get for subjects universities ranking?
I think Princeton Review has some. But well, for Actuarial Sciece, you can't find any. Cause it is such is niche course. Probably Wharton will be the best. Next comes Michigan Ann Harbour or NYU. All in NY how nice.

To me world ranking means so much. I don't give a damn on how good the uni actually is. As long as it has good facilities especially the library that is enough. Cause at the end of the day, the employer doesn't even know how and what the uni actually teaches. So they rely on the rankings and the wow factor.
mumeichan is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#82 Old 05-06-2007 Default

Found this page from the Thailand Government Scholars and their applications to US universities. Their SAT, TOEFL results, with the outcome of all their universities are listed. Some ReComers could go in and do some analysis and share it here.

The link is at here
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
KA
Super Junior Member

#83 Old 05-06-2007 Default

Try this website for the rankings:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...ndex_brief.php

solely for referring!!Though i cant help much
KA is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#84 Old 05-06-2007 Default

Some of the ReComers and non-ReComers who have gotten into Ivy League universities have shared their Success Story at Discover U.S. Education - KL '07's website. Do check it out at here

As of now, 55 premier U.S. universities have signed up already. Many of the facilitators there are actually ReComers! Look up for the list of universities in the website.
mumeichan
Less Junior Member

#85 Old 14-06-2007 Default

This is one very important thing I want to let all ADTP and ACTP scholars know.

Under the our agreement JPA, we must work for the government for 6 years if we complete our studies within the sponsorship period. If we make any extension to the sponsorship period that amount to more than 6 months, we have to serve the government for 7 years.

Officially we are sponsored to study locally for 2 years and overseas for 3 years. Therefore if we which to go to any Uni that does not accept our credits and have to study there for 4 years, we need to apply for an extension of our sponsorship period overseas by at least 1 years. That would me we would be bonded for 7 years!
bert Male
Less Junior Member

#86 Old 15-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumeichan
Quote:
I think Princeton Review has some. But well, for Actuarial Sciece, you can't find any. Cause it is such is niche course. Probably Wharton will be the best. Next comes Michigan Ann Harbour or NYU. All in NY how nice.

To me world ranking means so much. I don't give a damn on how good the uni actually is. As long as it has good facilities especially the library that is enough. Cause at the end of the day, the employer doesn't even know how and what the uni actually teaches. So they rely on the rankings and the wow factor.
One problem with world rankings is that most focus too much on research. So this means that good schools which focus on the undergraduate experience like Williams, Dartmouth, Amherst and Swarthmore rank low in the world rankings such as THES and Shanghai Jiaotong rankings. However, these schools have been acknowledged by the top American firms to produce graduates of the highest quality. These top American firms are amongst the world's best and are spread out around the world.

So of course if you want to work at some tiny Malaysian company and you tell them you graduated from Dartmouth or Williams, they will definitely be like huh? But walk into the top firms in New York or Hong Kong or KL and they will definitely appreciate you there. Are these colleges ranked highly in the world rankings? No. Are they still valued among the top firms? I leave you to do more research.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#87 Old 15-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
Quote:
Quote:

One problem with world rankings is that most focus too much on research. So this means that good schools which focus on the undergraduate experience like Williams, Dartmouth, Amherst and Swarthmore rank low in the world rankings such as THES and Shanghai Jiaotong rankings. However, these schools have been acknowledged by the top American firms to produce graduates of the highest quality. These top American firms are amongst the world's best and are spread out around the world.

So of course if you want to work at some tiny Malaysian company and you tell them you graduated from Dartmouth or Williams, they will definitely be like huh? But walk into the top firms in New York or Hong Kong or KL and they will definitely appreciate you there. Are these colleges ranked highly in the world rankings? No. Are they still valued among the top firms? I leave you to do more research.
You forgot to include Brown. It is only for undergraduate.
capablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
elizabeth
Less Junior Member

#88 Old 15-06-2007 Default

Quote:

Under the our agreement JPA, we must work for the government for 6 years if we complete our studies within the sponsorship period. If we make any extension to the sponsorship period that amount to more than 6 months, we have to serve the government for 7 years.

Officially we are sponsored to study locally for 2 years and overseas for 3 years. Therefore if we which to go to any Uni that does not accept our credits and have to study there for 4 years, we need to apply for an extension of our sponsorship period overseas by at least 1 years. That would me we would be bonded for 7 years!
try finding uni's that accept transfer programs. generally, ivy leagues don't accept it. but if you get admission into an ivy, apply to JPA to do 4 years straight there. if you get an ivy, they will generally allow that... if you don't, then only do you do the transfer program...
elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
mumeichan
Less Junior Member

#89 Old 16-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth
Quote:

try finding uni's that accept transfer programs. generally, ivy leagues don't accept it. but if you get admission into an ivy, apply to JPA to do 4 years straight there. if you get an ivy, they will generally allow that... if you don't, then only do you do the transfer program...
I wonder if JPA will consider to extend to 4 years or not if we get into a top uni but not an Ivy League one. NYU is one example. I wonder why JPA is so fixated on Ivy League because as far as I know it is a sports league and so happens all it's members are top unis.
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#90 Old 16-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth
Quote:

I wonder if JPA will consider to extend to 4 years or not if we get into a top uni but not an Ivy League one. NYU is one example. I wonder why JPA is so fixated on Ivy League because as far as I know it is a sports league and so happens all it's members are top unis.
JPA has a list of 18 universities that they allow to do 4 years. It is not just the 8 Ivy League.

Essentially, to graduate in US universities, 3 years is sufficient time, so whether you do credit transfer or otherwise, it is possible to finish your whole degree in 3 years.

Most JPA scholars who use up entire 4 years are just making full use of the opportunities. A lot of them do take a lot more courses than is required to graduate. For instance to graduate, require about 120+ credit hours, some JPA scholars do take beyond 150 or even more than 200 credit hours. I took 206.5 credit hours in 4 years (including 14 credit hours transfer from INTEC). So, I did 192.5 credit hours in Cornell.

To say Ivy League does not allow credit transfer is definitely wrong. I got 14 credit hours in Cornell. And there are Malaysians who have transferred more than 20 credit hours (including some that they take advanced placement exams).

Most of the top US universities, including Ivy League universities have advanced placement exam during your 1st week there. If you pass those exams, they don't even bother whether you have learned it before (formal or informal learning), they'll give you the credits.