ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships

Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

a level's subjects for jpa scholars, hows to choose

bush
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#31 Old 10-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syamil_1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vint
wats the point of taking so many subjects??is it they will choose the best 3 grades from ur overall sub??
to get into good UK uni, you will need to be out of the ordinary. in imperial, most take 4.

US uni differs from UK unis in a way that it wants well rounded student, whereas UK unis usually look at your alevl result and ur personal statement. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, not really. 3 is enough.
bush is offline   Reply With Quote
aioxen
Less Junior Member

#32 Old 10-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush
Quote:
Quote:
wats the point of taking so many subjects??is it they will choose the best 3 grades from ur overall sub??
to get into good UK uni, you will need to be out of the ordinary. in imperial, most take 4.

US uni differs from UK unis in a way that it wants well rounded student, whereas UK unis usually look at your alevl result and ur personal statement. Correct me if I'm wrong.
hm.....it's really confusing...
so to make it a bit simple.....4 pharmacy....3 subs r enuf or not?
aioxen is offline   Reply With Quote
capablanca Male
Laziest
Forum Moderator

#33 Old 10-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aioxen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush
Quote:
Quote:

hm.....it's really confusing...
so to make it a bit simple.....4 pharmacy....3 subs r enuf or not?
Depends on where you go and the condition of the university. Some more prestigious universities might consider a edge if got 4 subjects.
capablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#34 Old 12-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumeichan
Quote:
maximum subjects we can take is 5 is it?

If i'm taking Chem, Physic, Math, Further Math, can I take Economics?

Is Biology essential for a Geologist?
You can take any combo that you like if it is Cambridge A-Levels. In England, there are quite a number who take 6 subject. I have not heard of more. But only a few get 6As.
A levels are all about flexibility so regardless of examining boards you are allowed to take any subject you desire. It is not restricted only for Cambridge A Levels.
Sillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#35 Old 12-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiachean
my friend(who currently studies in Kolej Yayasan UEM under petronas scholarship) told me:

To enrol in Uk uni, u must be well rounded.

So, ur subjects taken in A- level should contain both science and art subjects(for science students)

My friend is now taking english(ielts), maths, physics, further maths, n economics.

Correct me if i am wrong.
To enrol into a UK uni...results matter MOST.
Sillyboy Male
Slightly Senior Member

#36 Old 12-06-2007 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumeichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAmurAi-X
Cambridge A-levels is much harder than EDEXCEL (GCE A-levels)...is that true????
No that is not true. The syllabus differs abit only. But it is much easier to resit the exam for Edexcel compared to Cambridge.
The Edexcel is modular system which I think is easier as the students only study a particular chapters before going to the exam and not studying everything all at one go.
It might sound easy but imagine sitting for 8 to 10 units at one go....does it look easy? And the units get harder as you progress too!
Joep
Super Junior Member

#37 Old 12-06-2007 Default

Everyone under the A-Level Medicine programme in INTEC takes 3 subjects : biology, Chem and maths. Few are taking physics classes, external exams are optional..
( AUSMAT lecturers are teaching them )

Regarding the "toughness" of Edexcel,
1) biology's syllabus is kinda short although the most compared to the others
2) maths has only 36 chapters, stats 8 chapters and chem bout 16

Most of my frens get 90 above for every single exam.. so it shouldnt be a prob if you can enter INTEC in the 1st place
Joep is offline   Reply With Quote
terence_lim
Less Junior Member

#38 Old 12-06-2007 Default

in INTEC, what are the 3 compulsory A level subjects for MOE sponsored students? can we do additional subjects?
terence_lim is offline   Reply With Quote
yikming
Super Junior Member

#39 Old 12-06-2007 Default

can anyone give me the slightest idea about edexel a level?how many subject we nid to take n usually wat subject d goverment will choose 4 us??
yikming is offline   Reply With Quote