ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Malaysia Today

Malaysia Today Discussion about issues related to Malaysian politics and economy.

Perak Political Turmoil

Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#1 Old 04-02-2009 Default Perak Political Turmoil

Regarding the political dramas in Perak recently, I have only one comment: Politics in Malaysia is a dirty game... I think there is hope for future of Malaysian film industry, just make sure that include these people in the cast...

Miracles happen everyday

Last edited by Miracle_seed; 04-02-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
celestial_sacred Female

#2 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

A very interesting drama unfolds... I wonder what will happen during the by-election. Just look at the amount of by-elections held in this period!
Slightly Senior Member

#3 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

I hope the sultan allows the state assembly to be dissolved and fresh elections be called for Perak. We can then teach these BN buggers a thing or two about messing with the rakyat's mandate.
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#4 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikraman View Post
I hope the sultan allows the state assembly to be dissolved and fresh elections be called for Perak. We can then teach these BN buggers a thing or two about messing with the rakyat's mandate.
This is the best way out... Still, neither PR nor BN can be trusted, just see how they act and speak on the same matter when they are on the opposite stance, both are word twisters...

Miracles happen everyday
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#5 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

When news of the Perak government collapsing reached my ears, somehow I felt worried. I don't know why I should feel worried, but perhaps it is because I don't want the Barisan to come back to power again, at least, not now?

Not that I am a staunch supporter of the Pakatan Rakyat, but I do see certain things being done to help the rakyat.

But yeah, if they had shut their big gap about wooing BN assemblymen to defect, then this would pretty much not have happened. But if you like playing with the "defect to my side" game, then I guess you must pay if you suffer a blowback.

Dissolve the assembly and re-vote? Sounds fair enough to me. If BN comes back through another election, I'd be happy about it. But if BN comes back to power through defections, that's just plain cheating.

Face it, right now if I were to vote I'd vote for the party, and not the candidate. Too bad.

(If the Perak assembly really gets dissolve and the elections are held after April, I would get to vote, would I not? After all, I turn 21 in April.)
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

Nope. It takes 3 - 6 months for your name to be gazetted on the electoral roll of registered voters. Thus you could only theoretically vote after July this year in the least. You could go and become a party worker for DAP and help register more young voters in your free time

Contrary to popular belief this whole issue is not about defections and revenge or whatever. It's about Najib. Najib cannot walk into the UMNO General Assembly empty handed. He has to bring something to the table and that something is Perak. He lost Permatang Pauh, he lost KT so he's got no political capital really. He has to get Perak and he has to get Perak within a month. Thus he doesn't want by-elections which he will lose, he doesn't want state elections which will deal BN a crushing blow and he definitely doesn't want to end up with nothing on his plate.

Thus he got the EC to play his game and (unconstitutionally & beyond the scope of their legally defined powers) declare no by-elections despite the Speaker of the assembly notifying them of the vacancy. Now all he has to do is get the Sultan to play his game and refuse dissolution and he's home free with a whole state to bring to the warlords and feudal kings of UMNO.

Wither the Rakyat?

Last edited by vikraman; 04-02-2009 at 11:04 PM.
vikraman is offline   Reply With Quote
DoomScythe

#7 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

I sure hope our dearest Sultan knows what to do. Otherwise.......

This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.
A life with love will have some thorns, but a life without love will have no roses.
There are two ways of meeting difficulties; you alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to meet them.
DoomScythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#8 Old 04-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

I believe even if the state assembly is not dissolved and BN takes over, Perak is likely to fall into PR again in next general election, with even more majority...

Miracles happen everyday
senksiang90 Male

#9 Old 05-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

This is just pure real life drama made just to amuse us all.. I find it just comical to be living in this kind of country whereby politicians can just simply jump parties.. It is jsut humorous.. Any possiblilty BN bought these two MPs out? There might be.. bt then again, we cannot make serious allegations or assumptions like this..

#10 Old 05-02-2009 Default Re: Perak Political Turmoil

Remember last time when we discussed about Anwar's case of wooing the defection of BN's member of parliment to create government.

Now that BN is using the same act against Anwar.

I would rather advocate to "anti-hopping" law.
nhling is offline   Reply With Quote