ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > The Business World

The Business World From the stock market to the old school barter system

Discussions On Issues Raised in Wharton Article Selections

chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#1 Old 08-05-2004 Default Discussions On Issues Raised in Wharton Article Selections

Hi, I would like to invite everyone to share and discuss series of articles selected by Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, one of the best, if not the best business school in the world.

They have a website http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu , which selects 6 top-notch articles for everyone to read every fortnight. So, perhaps, we can all read the same 6 articles in Business World and share with one another. What do you guys think about it?

Current articles for this fortnight is from 5th to 18th May

1. How Companies Use (and Abuse) Law for Competitive Gains
2. Why Global Business Needs Kinder, Gentler Entrepreneurs and Leaders
3. Is the New York Stock Exchange Fixed Yet?
4. Need a Job? How about a Date? Networking Services Want to Help
5. GIS Strides Ahead in Mapping and Serving Business Needs
6. This Year?s ?Eight Great? Business Plans: You Pick the Winner

Check it out! And lets read and discuss.
chenchow is offline   Reply With Quote
jiinjoo Male
Anchors

#2 Old 08-05-2004 Default

How would you like to share/discuss this? Article by article? Random thoughts? Opinions or just interpretation? Emotions?

I have mixed feelings for article 4, something I have been looking into for almost a year now. Never have I thought that virtual social network is the number one virtuous cycle, two years ago I would have concluded that they are usually desperate people trying to get attention or worse cheating others. Now I see it as an engine for social change, on top of the ther plethora of well defined purposes. Aside from that - the thing that still got me exicted is space tourism and biometric stuff (article 6) Can't wait to go to outer space!~
jiinjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
weich
Anchors

#3 Old 08-05-2004 Default

hmmm.....note the Global Start-up@Singapore initiative....we have something similar over here in Imperial with the "Lee Kuan Yew global business plan competition"....really smart of them to attract potential big companies....wonder if M'sia has the same?

Maybe we are focussing too much on IT/Biotech...we should start branching out! Space Travel is good....and I wonder what's the reason for Space Adventures (issit? or another space travel company) to put S'pore as their launch pad! Where's the space? (quite an irony...haha)
weich is offline   Reply With Quote
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#4 Old 08-05-2004 Default

I think Malaysia is also trying its best to attract potential investors, although I think we lack a one-stop center in doing that.

I am not sure whether this will be efficient, but I always take the opportunities to talk to those CEOs and other high rank officers (COO, CFO, VPs) from various MNCs about why they invest, how is their investment in Malaysia, what problems they see, why they do not invest, why they choose Singapore over Malaysia, and then I will share with them about the competitive advantage of Malaysia, and I think one thing that amazes them is the mass sending of scholars to various countries, the various venture funds that we have etc... I will usually do a background research of the company and their involvement in Malaysia before I talk to them.

What do you guys think is the best format of discussing all these articles? I think what I hope is to inculcate the reading business articles habit of fellow ReCom members. So, any means to achieve that will be good. Perhaps we can type Q1, Q2 etc when we share our opinions on it. Perhaps we can recommend some of the articles are best reading, share some points you agree, not agree etc... Any suggestion?
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#5 Old 08-05-2004 Default

A few things in Article 1 (Q1) attracted me:-

Q1: First is the 90/10 rule being discussed. What do you guys think about Pareto's Rule (80/20). For instance, 20% of the websites have 80% of the links etc. (Over here, it is 10% of law and politics that makes 90% of the difference to business decision makers)

Q1: This paragraph attracts me "Grove looked out the window to the Ferris Wheel of the Great American amusement park across the way, and perhaps reflected that the company was going in similarly aimless circles. He turned to Moore with a question. ?If we got kicked out and the Board brought in a new CEO, what do you think he would do?? Moore answered, ?He would get us out of memories.? Grove reflected for a moment. Then he said, ?Why shouldn?t you and I walk out the door, come back and do it ourselves??" Andy Grove is President of Intel and Moore is CEO of Intel.

Q1: I talked with AngelMed CEO and Founder two days ago and he told me that one of the main reasons of getting patented is so that he could license it. In that way, royalty from patent is taxed as capital gain, so it is 15% of tax, instead of other higher income tax. He has 70 patents in hand with about 10 pending right now. He has founded 5 biomed companies in the past 10 years.