ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > ReCom Chat Forum

ReCom Chat Forum This is where you chat! As per new policy, all social messages e.g. "hey are you the cute guy sitting next to me in interview yesterday" MUST be posted here.

[⇓] Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

mochitor

#351 Old 25-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle_seed View Post
If I had to pick, definitely I'll go for Maths, then I'm practically relaxing throughout the 1.5 years, but if I were to choose a more practical subject for the future course, I would go for Physics, yet it works the best if you take both, provided you have no problem coping with them.
Wahaha, thats my point exactly! Maths also kinda practical, when we do masters ie specialize, we need to conduct case studies and so on. The statistical knowledge would be useful in making a summary of our findings such as distribution curves and so on. Maths is needed everywhere la, its the most practical subject in the WORLD...Gee, i also tak faham why i campaigning for maths like this,... Wahaha

Last edited by mochitor; 25-07-2009 at 12:00 PM.
mochitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#352 Old 26-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochitor View Post
Wahaha, thats my point exactly! Maths also kinda practical, when we do masters ie specialize, we need to conduct case studies and so on. The statistical knowledge would be useful in making a summary of our findings such as distribution curves and so on. Maths is needed everywhere la, its the most practical subject in the WORLD...Gee, i also tak faham why i campaigning for maths like this,... Wahaha
However, statistics is just small part of our A-Level maths, or at least in KTT. Since we took Statistics 1 only (assuming the same till this year), and it's practically the repeat of SPM Add Maths syllabus, I don't think it would help much in the future, or in other words, you won't have much problem even if you don't have maths in A-Level, since your knowledge from SPM can make up for it. In some other colleges, students take Statistics 1 for AS instead of Mechanics 1, while taking Statistics 2 for A2. Perhaps it would be more useful in this case. Physics, on the hand, is more practical, to help in understanding some concepts e.g. in physiology, and principles behind some medical devices.

Miracles happen everyday
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
phenomena0251 Male
Super Junior Member

#353 Old 26-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
However, statistics is just small part of our A-Level maths, or at least in KTT. Since we took Statistics 1 only (assuming the same till this year), and it's practically the repeat of SPM Add Maths syllabus, I don't think it would help much in the future, or in other words, you won't have much problem even if you don't have maths in A-Level, since your knowledge from SPM can make up for it. In some other colleges, students take Statistics 1 for AS instead of Mechanics 1, while taking Statistics 2 for A2. Perhaps it would be more useful in this case. Physics, on the hand, is more practical, to help in understanding some concepts e.g. in physiology, and principles behind some medical devices.
so it is a good reason for ppl like me to drop maths in A-level since knowledge we gain in SPM can make up for it and i dun really cope well wif the subject, lol..
phenomena0251 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#354 Old 26-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Agree.An Oncologist came and chatted with me when I was in hospital.Physics is crucial at least in Oncology,where we have to study the properties of photons and so on for radiotherapy.Besides,medical appliances like MRI,CT scan,require certain extent of physics' knowledge to understand their operations.Perhaps that's the reason 4 India to make Physics a compulsory subject for admission to their U.My opinion is:Take Math if you really interested with it,don't take out of egoism and kiasu-ism!

Last edited by The Myth; 26-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
phenomena0251 Male
Super Junior Member

#355 Old 26-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
Agree.An Oncologist came and chatted with me when I was in hospital.Physics is crucial at least in Oncology,where we have to study the properties of photons and so on for radiotherapy.Besides,medical appliances like MRI,CT scan,require certain extent of physics' knowledge to understand their operations.Perhaps that's the reason 4 India to make Physics a compulsory subject for admission to their U.My opinion is:Take Maths if you really interested with it,don't take out of egoism and kiasu-ism!
I totally agree wif yr opinion myth! To all juniors, take maths if u like it but not to show to others tat u can do it! Over-egoism and "kiasu-ism" is bad for both physical and mental health..
phenomena0251 is offline   Reply With Quote
mochitor

#356 Old 27-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
Agree.An Oncologist came and chatted with me when I was in hospital.Physics is crucial at least in Oncology,where we have to study the properties of photons and so on for radiotherapy.Besides,medical appliances like MRI,CT scan,require certain extent of physics' knowledge to understand their operations.Perhaps that's the reason 4 India to make Physics a compulsory subject for admission to their U.My opinion is:Take Math if you really interested with it,don't take out of egoism and kiasu-ism!
As far as i know, the reason india wants physics is because they are still thinking as in the olden days. Those days when the british were ruling india, the mindset for medicine is physics,chem, bio, maths ie the whole science package and until today they remain glued to this mindset! I mean, even cambridge doesnt need physics to read medicine there! You only need chemistry as a MUST!...As a doctor, its really a bonus if you know the working principles of the appliances you handle. Nevertheless i agree to your final statement the kiasu ego sumthing...You definitely dropped maths i presume.
Less Junior Member

#357 Old 27-07-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochitor View Post
As far as i know, the reason india wants physics is because they are still thinking as in the olden days. Those days when the british were ruling india, the mindset for medicine is physics,chem, bio, maths ie the whole science package and until today they remain glued to this mindset! I mean, even cambridge doesnt need physics to read medicine there! You only need chemistry as a MUST!...As a doctor, its really a bonus if you know the working principles of the appliances you handle. Nevertheless i agree to your final statement the kiasu ego sumthing...You definitely dropped maths i presume.
No way I'll drop Maths,I love Maths too much.As far as Cambridge is concern,even Bio is not a must to study in medical course,Chem is compulsory undeniably.Their basic requirements for A level are a pass in Chem,and two other passes in science/math subjects.Which means we can use chem,phy,and math to study medicine in Cambridge!It's explicit that Cambridge medicine course basic requirements ain't a suitable standard to measure the importance of A level subjects for future medical students.Anyway,there's a possibility that nothing(or barely anything) we study in A level could assist us in our medical study in the future.It's not really like SPM and A level which have a lot of similarities.

Last edited by The Myth; 27-07-2009 at 10:15 AM.
mochitor

#358 Old 03-08-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Creek, ...creek...some how this thread has lost the momentum...i guess everyone have made their minds bout the subjects to take up. Lets start another discussion...Erm..wht bout things i enjoy in KTT?
Super Junior Member

#359 Old 05-08-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

hello2! ktt is very nice lah.. the lecturers are fun. they are all young and cool. just some of them are very strict. make me so nervous entering the class..and the class is sooooo near! i can wake at 7.45 for class at 8 am..wahaha..then the food is not bad..yummy
Lyana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#360 Old 05-08-2009 Default Re: Kolej Teknologi Timur - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyana View Post
hello2! ktt is very nice lah.. the lecturers are fun. they are all young and cool. just some of them are very strict. make me so nervous entering the class..and the class is sooooo near! i can wake at 7.45 for class at 8 am..wahaha..then the food is not bad..yummy
Indeed,KTT had improved a lot since u guys juniors came especially with the new wifi system and outside stalls....In other words,KTT improved by a great deal right after Mochitor left...No hard feeling ya Mochitor,to be cynical,the World is unfair sometimes...ROFL...