ReCom.org
Every Little Thing About Medicine Discussion for Doctors, Pharmacists, Potential Doctors, Patients and also Nurse :on Everything about Medicine!

Radiotherapy

The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 15-12-2009 Default Radiotherapy

I'm a JPA India bound medic student,meanwhile I'm a cancer patient,I was diagnosed with Extraskeletal Ewing's Sarcoma around my axillary region about half a year ago. My radiotherapy is scheduled in February 2010.I was informed that one of the permanent side effects of radiotherapy is fibrosis.Well I really need to know as much as possible about the impacts of the aforementioned side effect on me and my future career :
1.How likely a patient who undergone radiotherapy will develop fibrosis?
2.How will fibrosis affect my future career as a Dr?
3.Can I even engage myself in medical field with the kind of cancer I have?

I'll greatly appreciate whoever that can give me the information I need.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by The Myth; 15-12-2009 at 03:12 PM.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
orthopod

#2 Old 16-12-2009 Default Re: Radiotherapy

Im sorry to hear about your illness.It must be very difficult.
If you dont mind me asking,what stage is your illness at?

That would give us a better idea on your prognosis.In any case you do sound very optimistic.That's a good start!
orthopod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 16-12-2009 Default Re: Radiotherapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
Im sorry to hear about your illness.It must be very difficult.
If you dont mind me asking,what stage is your illness at?

That would give us a better idea on your prognosis.In any case you do sound very optimistic.That's a good start!
I discovered it pretty early as it was superficial,it developed from the size of an egg to the size of half a brick within 2 months.Dr. said by far there's no sign of metastasis according to my MRI and CT scan.But Dr. didn't tell me anything about staging,so I presume it to be the 1st stage which have 80% chance of survival.The chemotherapy I'm undergoing so far is indeed extremely torturing,but most of the side effects are short term.I'm more concern about the long term side effects that will affect my life later on.
orthopod

#4 Old 16-12-2009 Default Re: Radiotherapy

is surgery on the cards..ie neo-adjuvant..chemo and then surgery?
orthopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Xon
lazy bunny
Administrator

#5 Old 16-12-2009 Default Re: Radiotherapy

I'm not in medical field, but i would like to convey my best wish to you. Get well soon. I'll pray for you along the way. *hugs*

Federation of Malaysia is formed by Sarawak, North Borneo, Malaya (and Singapore) by 16 Sept 1963. It has nothing to do with 31 Aug 1957. Just saying.
Xon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 16-12-2009 Default Re: Radiotherapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
is surgery on the cards..ie neo-adjuvant..chemo and then surgery?
I'd already undergone two surgeries,1 was excisional biopsy,the other 1 was chemo port incision.My treatments are adjuvant,surgeries 1st before treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xon View Post
I'm not in medical field, but i would like to convey my best wish to you. Get well soon. I'll pray for you along the way. *hugs*
Thanks...