ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Kitchen

ReCom Kitchen For those who love food and cooking

Sushi / Japanese food anyone ??

boafan
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 01-09-2005 Default Sushi / Japanese food anyone ??

alright..ever tried making sushi or any japanese food ?? share your problems / thoughts , etc here!
boafan is offline   Reply With Quote
adnani_2604
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 22-09-2005 Default

Japanese food is soo good!! anyway, i've tried making tempura, which is very easy. for anyone who doesnt know, tempura is anything (usually seafood) dipped in special batter mix and then fried. yummy!! i think it tastes the same as restaurant.. heheh.. i dont know..
adnani_2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Angelia
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 14-10-2005 Default

One of my signature dishes is sushi.Guess what?I learnt the making of sushi frm a Japanese fren n most of my frens n relatives love it tremendously. And it was one of my champion dishes in my school's cooking competition. Actually, the process of making sushi is not so complicated and time-consuming.There is a secret recipe behind the mouth-watering n yummy sushi.If anyone is interested in suhsi making, u can pm me and I m willing to share the recipe v u.
Angelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Schye Male
Veteran N00b

#4 Old 14-10-2005 Default

Why not you share it here

I had learned making sushi with an owner of a sushi restaurant before BUT just once and I never made any after that. I agree that its not hard to make sushi but to me its quite time consuming ... compared to errr... instant ramen

The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way.'

- Grace Murray Hopper
Schye is offline   Reply With Quote
Angelia
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 27-10-2005 Default

Sorry for the late post..i was having exam that time..
hmm... i think sushi rice is the most crucial ingredient which determines the taste of mouth-watering sushi..
for me,i dont use short-grain rice(which is pretty pricey) but i substitute it with glutinous rice and white rice that we use to cook our meal daily with the ratio 1:1.wash the rice thoroughly..before putting the rice into the cooker,u have to arrange a handful of washed anchovies beneath a piece of washed dried kelp first in order to add the aroma to the rice(this is the important secret of delicious sushi)...then cook the rice v 1 and 3/4 cup of water...once cooked,simmer for 10 minutes...then stir in the sushi vinegar frm bottom to top until the rice is fluffly,blow to disperse the smell of vinegar.
tips:
1.do not let the rice grains cling together in clumps nor squish them,otherwise the rice will become sticky and pasty.
2.remove the anchovies n kelp before mixing the rice v sushi vinegar.

P/S:if anyone has problem in making the sushi rice,pls pm me or leave the msg in this forum..hope that u guys enjoy cooking sushi n tell me how it tastes after u hv tried it out...thx alot..
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelia For This Useful Post:
Angelia
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 27-10-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schye
Why not you share it here

I had learned making sushi with an owner of a sushi restaurant before BUT just once and I never made any after that. I agree that its not hard to make sushi but to me its quite time consuming ... compared to errr... instant ramen

hmm..
if u r interested in making Ramen on ur own,here's the recipe...

FYI,Ramen are made if egg and flour,while Soba(buckwheat noodle) do not use egg.They have a pleasantly springy texture than normal noodle.Handmade Ramen are definitely better than those made of machine.Especially the springy texture can not be made by machine.

Ingredients:1000g flour,4 eggs,300g water,6g alkaline powder,15g salt.

Method:
1.Mix the flour,sieved the flour and mix with the rest
ingredients,beat the batter.
2.Knead into dough:knead the batter into dough and let stand to set for 30 minutes.
3.Sprinkle some flour on rolling pin and flatten the dough into big thin sheet,sprinkle some flour on surface to prevent sticking.
4.Fold the flatten dough from both end towards the centre,then cut half in the middle.
5.Then cut the dough into 1cm strips.
6.Pick up the noodle with finger from the centre.
7.Expand the noodle with bare hand;shake during expanding to make the noodle springy,fine and same in thickness.
8.For the finishing Ramen,sprinkle some flour on top to prevent the noodle stick together.

Enjoy making the Ramen!
Angelia
Super Junior Member

#7 Old 27-10-2005 Default

Dashi stock is very important in Japanese dishes,without it,you will not be able to obtain a classic Japanese flavour.Dashi is making by dried bonito shaving,young ginger and dried kelp,the soup is a bit yellowish,tasty and fragrant.

Ingredients:
150g dried bonito shaving,60g young ginger,80g dried kelp,3 litre
water.

Method:
1.Smash the ginger,clean the kelp and soak.
2.Bring the water to boil,add in ginger and kelp,boil for 2 hours.
3.Add in bonito shaving and off the heat immediately.
4.Filter the stock before use.

You can use the stock to cook Ramen or Soba.pretty palatable...hope u guys enjoy it....
Angelia
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 27-10-2005 Default Basic of Scalding Noodle

Basic of Scalding Noodle

1.Bring half wok of water to boil,put in handmade noodles.
2.Always loosen the noodle to prevent from sticking together.
3.Sieve cook noodle with strainer,blanch in cold water,drain.
4.Pour the noodle in bowl.
5.Boil the stock with another pot,season accordingly,then add in sub-ingredients.
6.Once cooked,take out the ingredients and arrange on top of noodle,only then pour in the soup.

Tips:
To cook the noodle,the wok must be big,water is boiling and heat is high,once the noodle is cooked,blanch in cold water swiftly,this will help to make the noodle have the Q bite.
sour-plum
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 18-12-2005 Default

Quote:
Dashi stock is very important in Japanese dishes,without it,you will not be able to obtain a classic Japanese flavour.Dashi is making by dried bonito shaving,young ginger and dried kelp,the soup is a bit yellowish,tasty and fragrant.
erm....actually i have read from a Japanese recipe book about the DAshi stock.....although i knew it is very important for making sushi....but those ingredients for making Dashi stock seem very diifficult to get it.........so........can u teach me how to make the DAshi stock in the simplest way??

erm.....i would like to share here for some informations i got them from the book:
Sushi Vineger :
dissolved 5tbsp of sugar and 2-4tsp salt in 2-4 tsp rice vineger

Sushi Rice :
for every 750-1000g rice (uncooked) needs 2/3cup or 150ml sushi vineger

Japanese Egg Pancake :
dissolved 75ml Dashi Stock + 75g sugar + 1 1/2tsp soya sauce +1 1/2tsp sake +1 1/2 tsp salt
then add into 5nos of eggs.....
sour-plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Fire_Spectar Female
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 03-06-2010 Default Re: Sushi / Japanese food anyone ??

huhu~ I guess I'm kind of a cheap skate AND lazy... but this my own Malaysian recipe 'sushi'... came up with it during Aidilfitri celebration... I think you can imagine what's coming..

1. Seaweed strips (duh...)
2. Nasi impit
3. Chicken or Beef rendang
4. Egg white

Cut the nasi impit into squares or circles (up to you guys) but make sure the height of it does not go up to 3/4 of the seaweed's width.
Wrap the seaweed strip around the nasi impit, make sure the ends can overlap each other and there is space at the top for the filling.
Use a brush to 'glue' the seaweed end with a little egg white, and press lightly for it to stick.
Okay, spoon in the rendang into the top cavity and make it level with the seaweed strip, place on heating pan on low fire for a few minutes just to warm it...
Wala! Malaysian style home made sushi!!!

And you can replace the nasi impit with ketupat or the rendang with chicken or beef floss if you want...
Fire_Spectar is offline   Reply With Quote