ReCom.org
Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam (JPA) Scholarships Everything about scholarships provided by the Public Services Department of Malaysia

JPA India bound students here!!!...

Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#331 Old 17-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino9 View Post
What vaccines must we take before heading to India? (just to confirm again)
Hepatitis and typhoid recommended.

Miracles happen everyday
Miracle_seed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miracle_seed For This Useful Post:
rocky2009 Male
Less Junior Member

#332 Old 18-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

On my list of things to bring to india (other than clothes) :
umbrella
clothes hangers
laundry detergent
body shampoo
shampoo
shaving foam
razor blades
maggi mee
oats
nescafe 3 in 1
milo 3 in 1

Anything above I should not be bringing (cos can buy there easily) or any other things I should be bringing?
rocky2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
topchef2 Male
Super Junior Member

#333 Old 20-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
USD 500 after minus rental and food really not that much to the extent that we can enjoy life and have a Euro trip in our break like what we've been told.
I'm not sure this'd been asked.Are we(or can we) pay the rental by installments?Can we survive if we depend solely on the money that we'll be given by JPA in the 1st few months if we aren't bringing any pocket money there,in your personal opinion?
wow that is approximately 1600 rm..not enough?what ab out the self sponsored students?I think most of them live on a budget of less than 1000 right..india is so expensive might as well go to UK.. or IMu twinning and get a more recognized qualification..why is JPA so silly.
topchef2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#334 Old 21-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
USD 500 after minus rental and food really not that much to the extent that we can enjoy life and have a Euro trip in our break like what we've been told.
I'm not sure this'd been asked.Are we(or can we) pay the rental by installments?Can we survive if we depend solely on the money that we'll be given by JPA in the 1st few months if we aren't bringing any pocket money there,in your personal opinion?
I'm not sure how much your hostel costs, I think it largely depends on your hostel fees, whether you can pay in installment, it's better to consult your seniors since I'm not clear about things over there. To be enough, your USD 1500 should be able to cover your hostel fees, food expenditure for 3 months, necessities and books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky2009 View Post
On my list of things to bring to india (other than clothes) :
umbrella
clothes hangers
laundry detergent
body shampoo
shampoo
shaving foam
razor blades
maggi mee
oats
nescafe 3 in 1
milo 3 in 1

Anything above I should not be bringing (cos can buy there easily) or any other things I should be bringing?
Basically, instant noodles and drinks are the ones to bring from Malaysia, as I'm quite sure most Malaysians don't like those in India, perhaps you should bring enough till you have your supply from Malaysia. Others are quite optional, not very necessary since you can get it here just that things might be more expensive than Malaysia's, you can bring if your luggage can accommodate and the weight allows. I'm not very sure about shaving foam and razor blades. Toilet papers are expensive and of different quality in India, so you might want to bring from Malaysia.

Miracles happen everyday

Last edited by Miracle_seed; 21-06-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miracle_seed For This Useful Post:
The Myth Male
Less Junior Member

#335 Old 21-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchef2 View Post
wow that is approximately 1600 rm..not enough?what ab out the self sponsored students?I think most of them live on a budget of less than 1000 right..india is so expensive might as well go to UK.. or IMu twinning and get a more recognized qualification..why is JPA so silly.
Uk/US doctors are good at theory,India's good at practical.Tropical diseases in India are more similar to those in Malaysia.That's what we've been told.500 USD is definitely enough for basic needs,just that we were foretold by our seniors that JPA will give us enough money to do this to do that,and the stark realization about what we can do with the money disappoints me a little bit.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#336 Old 23-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
BTW, Miracle seed, how exactly are the double and triple boys hostels at manipal (Nehru Block A)? Would you say they are better or worse than KTT? What type of room are you staying in? Thanks for all your help.
I just checked with my friends, it seems now first year students would stay in Nehru, just different block from seniors and would move to senior block in second year. From what I heard condition of Nehru is better than RT.

Miracles happen everyday
rocky2009 Male
Less Junior Member

#337 Old 24-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Thanks for the info.

Can medic and dental students share a room? My friend who's in KMC will be coming 1 week later than me. Would I be able to book a room for both of us? Or would the hostel allocate? If the hostel allocates, can we later do a mutual swap?
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#338 Old 27-06-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Can medic and dental students share a room? My friend who's in KMC will be coming 1 week later than me. Would I be able to book a room for both of us? Or would the hostel allocate? If the hostel allocates, can we later do a mutual swap?
I asked my friend about this and he said BDS students would be staying in RT it seems, only KMC MBBS students and MMMC juniors would be staying in Nehru. Sorry I didn't ask clearly last time. However I think I saw BDS student coming out from Nehru last year, so I'm also not sure if this is newly implemented. Perhaps you can approach the university and ask about this.

Miracles happen everyday
rocky2009 Male
Less Junior Member

#339 Old 06-07-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

After the pre-departure briefing by jpa, I need help please !!!!

1. How much Rs we need to open new account in India? JPA says Rs50,000 but some seniors say Rs1000 is enough.

2. In the Manipal Uni offer letter, it says it only accepts demand draft in Indian Rupees for hostel. So we have to convert some of the travellers cheques (which was given to us in USD) to make the demand draft?

3. In the Uni letter they say we have to pay Rs17,000 per year as mess charges. Is this compulsory? And if so, should this be in the form of demand draft or can pay cash? Is the mess food prepared at the hostel itself (we have been allocated Nehru Block A) or can we eat at any food court?
Miracle_seed
Super Moderator
Forum Moderator

#340 Old 06-07-2010 Default Re: JPA India bound students here!!!...

Quote:
After the pre-departure briefing by jpa, I need help please !!!!

1. How much Rs we need to open new account in India? JPA says Rs50,000 but some seniors say Rs1000 is enough.

2. In the Manipal Uni offer letter, it says it only accepts demand draft in Indian Rupees for hostel. So we have to convert some of the travellers cheques (which was given to us in USD) to make the demand draft?

3. In the Uni letter they say we have to pay Rs17,000 per year as mess charges. Is this compulsory? And if so, should this be in the form of demand draft or can pay cash? Is the mess food prepared at the hostel itself (we have been allocated Nehru Block A) or can we eat at any food court?
1. Last time if I remember correctly we just need Rs.1000 or Rs.500 to open a new account. However I went to bank today so I asked the officer, he said Rs.5000, so it's probably that. I don't think you need Rs.50000, that's way too much.

2. Last time we actually paid by cash or cheque. There would be a cheque book that comes with your new account, or if you need to pay earlier before your account is activated, you can pay by cash, university finance office will give you a cash slip and you just pay in the bank. I'm not sure if it's still the same now.

3. Mess is not compulsory in Manipal campus, but Mangalore is compulsory I heard, it probably still holds true now. Personally I think it's better not to join mess, so that you can have freedom choosing your own food. Plus, you can have pay-per-meal at mess in food court in case you want to try it, though it's already not any cheaper nowadays. Mess is not situated in hostel, it's located in food court.

Miracles happen everyday

Last edited by Miracle_seed; 06-07-2010 at 03:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miracle_seed For This Useful Post: