ReCom.org
Debates Nothing senseless here. Argue your points and stands here.

Is cursing okay?

View Poll Results: Is cursing okay?
Why not? I do it all the time 10 12.20%
Only among my close friends 13 15.85%
Only when I'm really pissed off 48 58.54%
Absolutely no. Try it in front of me and I'm slapping you right in the face! 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

erikanyam Female
Less Junior Member

#51 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

I could not accept people cursing me...Do you think that cursing is very healthy in the society?Life is short,so why must you curse people to express your anger?
Less Junior Member

#52 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

Cursing is fine, but it depends on who is saying it. If a small boy shouts out F***, u can't blame him! He doesn't know the meaning of the word. Perhaps he just found it amusing that papa used it so often, he tried it too.

So cursing is ultimately very wrong if you're a father, a brother, a sister or an elderly to someone. If you are someone that your youngers respect, emulate and see as their role model, Don't curse in front of them. (however, if u really do want to curse, tell them the meaning of it, which i bet u wouldn't want too HAHA)

One more thing, cursing too often like it's your mother tongue may give off a vibe that you are quick-tempered, or that you are not the serious kinda person. So if you wanna leave a good lasting impression on others, Don't curse out loud too often. Why can't u just curse in your mind if you're so mad? Sometimes things are better left unsaid. U can avoid offending others.

Overall, it's ok to curse. but be mindful of what your intentions are when u say vulgar words.
twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#53 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

I am indifferent towards cursing. Some people view curse words as such terrible things, but personally, I don't see the difference between these few words and all the others in the dictionary. Come on, they're all words.
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#54 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

It depends on the setting and the context. If you are in an army it's simply impossible not to curse. If you play game with people in cyber cafe, cursing nonstop in there doesn't mean you are the most indecent person that has ever walked the earth. However, if you are driving a family friend and you curse loudly when a car cut you in queue, like it or not it would reflect poorly on your character.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
yanno_yamster Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#55 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I am indifferent towards cursing. Some people view curse words as such terrible things, but personally, I don't see the difference between these few words and all the others in the dictionary. Come on, they're all words.
They may be words, but the tongue is sharper than the sword.

I can't control myself from uttering a few curse words sometimes when things don't go as I planned, but I avoid cursing anything worse than sh*t or d*mn. Even so I never direct my curse towards someone.

Oh yeah, I'd also like to add... Why are some swear words so excessively used these days (especially f*ck) that people use them like it's normal to say them in any conversation? What's so trendy about being vulgar?

May you be well and happy!!! :)

Last edited by yanno_yamster; 16-04-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
yanno_yamster is offline   Reply With Quote
whimsical Female
Super Junior Member

#56 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

For me,its neither right nor wrong.Its more to appropriate or inappropriate..I believe that its not the words one using matters,but the way the words are being used.But still,using profanity (especially the F word) excessively,or out of context,only makes one to look stupid.

#57 Old 16-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

Cursing is an art. Do it wrong, you will look stupid. Do it right, you become a legend.
liza93 Female
Super Junior Member

#58 Old 29-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

I think it depends on your intent. I say 'fcuk!' when something goes wrong, and I don't see why anyone nearby should feel offended. If I say 'fcuk you!' then the manner in which I said it should count. If I look like I really meant it then yea, maybe it is rude. But if I say it harmlessly, almost with a smile on my face, then I get annoyed if people take offence lol.

As for normal sentences, I couldn't imagine not adding a 'fcking' before every adjective for emphasis. It's a habit, that's all. =D

And yes, I know it may seem shocking, coming from a girl. haha but I grew up with guys!
liza93 is offline   Reply With Quote
xJing Female

#59 Old 29-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

I just generally dislike cursing. It sounds so crude, as if you aren't civilised. Surely the English language has a vast enough vocabulary for people to choose words from, apart from swear words.

http://kttshinesforjesus.blogspot.com
xJing is offline   Reply With Quote
ureshii_xD Female
Super Junior Member

#60 Old 29-04-2011 Default Re: Is cursing okay?

Voted for: Only when I'm really pissed off

Even though that's my choice but I don't want to curse out loud in front of people, if I manage it that is. There were a couple of incidents where I involuntarily cursed out loud when people's around. And then quickly regretted it and hoped that nobody noticed it.
Still, I curse when nobody's around or just fume inside silently.

Somehow I agree with surayahamdan haha. It's true. If you just blindly throw profanity here and there, you look like an idiot imo. That's what I'm trying to avoid. I feel uncomfortable when people say "s***" even though the situation isn't that all bad and if I feel uncomfortable, I don't want other people to feel the same way, hence I treat them the way I hope people around me would treat me. But then again, people can't help to utter them and I don't blame them.
I'm trying to get use to hearing the cursing words and still can't. It's really is a wonder why my siblings and I have never cursed out loud considering our father often curse under his breath during driving (_ _||)
ureshii_xD is offline   Reply With Quote