ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
WhiteCandy Female
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
  #1 Old 25-05-2013 Default Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

I've chosen to study A-levels under the bursary program. Planning on studying dentistry later on so I'm gonna take 3 sciences and 1 math. I'm currently choosing between Taylor's College Subang Jaya and Inti College Penang. My parents have advised me to choose Inti College as I live in Penang and so it would be more convenient.

However, my main concern would be the quality of teaching. I've heard of reviews from friends that lecturers in Inti are not as good as those in Taylor's. But I've also heard from some Bursary recipients last year that because Taylor's College accepted too many bursary students, they had to hire part-time lecturers, which are not so good either and that the classes have become larger. Besides, would it be tough to live in Subang alone as this is my first time leaving home to study. Could anybody help advise me on choosing which college to go to? Thanks!!
WhiteCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
wannie Female
Member
 
wannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 188
  #2 Old 25-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCandy View Post
I've chosen to study A-levels under the bursary program. Planning on studying dentistry later on so I'm gonna take 3 sciences and 1 math. I'm currently choosing between Taylor's College Subang Jaya and Inti College Penang. My parents have advised me to choose Inti College as I live in Penang and so it would be more convenient.

However, my main concern would be the quality of teaching. I've heard of reviews from friends that lecturers in Inti are not as good as those in Taylor's. But I've also heard from some Bursary recipients last year that because Taylor's College accepted too many bursary students, they had to hire part-time lecturers, which are not so good either and that the classes have become larger. Besides, would it be tough to live in Subang alone as this is my first time leaving home to study. Could anybody help advise me on choosing which college to go to? Thanks!!
I don't know about Penang since I'm from KL, but I really enjoyed my time in Taylor's College Subang Jaya, meeting great friends and having great lecturers. Friends all around me were all inspiring and top students in their schools (the number of straight As students in my class is CRAZY). I don't feel so smart any more after I went to college haha. They have awesome food there and amazing resources because Subang is such an education hub. You can get every sort of revision notes and past year papers here. So the resources here are ineffably amazing, all walking distance. Plus we have about 3 malls here and we get to go out with friends after exams. In TCSJ the entire campus feels like a campus dedicated just for A levels students.

I don't have any good opinion nor any comment on that matter for Inti College Subang Jaya (next door) or Inti College as a whole (I don't even know of the Penang branch). Well all I know is Taylor's is probably more well known for pre U but the difference- if any- in pre u achievement/outcome may not be big if you went to Inti instead. In my opinion Taylor's is the better option if you have the courage and money, but I'm class of August 2011 so things may have changed (pre bursary, but a lot of scholars get sponsored there). In my very limited social circle, students would opt for Taylor's, HELP, Sunway, KYUEM, KTJ, etc for Pre U Colleges in Malaysia. I acknowledge to be very biased to say that based on my observation, a lot of capable students SEEM to come from these familiar institutions (with a lot of miscellaneous backgrounds of course). I've been reading a lot of CVs so I somewhat derived this personal observation. Scholarship providers send their scholars to these places too

Inti Penang wouldn't be a bad choice too, since successful people can come from anywhere. But in terms of experience I'm confident you'll have a blast in Selangor haha. And if you're going overseas to study later in uni, wouldn't it be a good step to be away from home but still in a familiar culture? So that the difference for going away from home for the first time wouldn't be that scary
__________________
Malaysia Public Policy Competition 2013
https://www.facebook.com/ICMSMPPC



We have a MPPC Meme Contest NOW!
http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16172
wannie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wannie For This Useful Post:
WhiteCandy Female
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
  #3 Old 25-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Judging by how much Taylor's students loved their experience in Taylor's, I really believe that Taylor's is great Btw, does it affect our scholarship applications or university admissions if we come from a less prestigious college? I know it's kinda absurd but I've been asking around and mostly the reply I got was "Go to Taylor's, you'd get into a better university from there." is this true??
WhiteCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
AlphaBeta Male
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
  #4 Old 25-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Any idea which college produce best results in percentage of 4A* student? I guess if your aim is to get 4A*, find out more along this line will help.
AlphaBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
NicoleJY Female
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 52
  #5 Old 26-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Hi, I think I can give you a bit of an insider's view on Inti College Penang, since I was a student there for the January intake last year. I only did one semester there cos I took the Bursary offer and switched to Taylor's College Sri Hartamas to start over.

I don't know much about TCSJ, except for the fact that there will be a HUGE amount of scholarship students for their July intake. I don't quite like the environment there either, cos I feel that it's a bit too crowded and messy but I don't think that will affect much though

I quite enjoyed the college atmosphere in Inti, where you get to pick your own classes and having different classmates for different classes. In TCSJ, seeing that you're picking the most common 3 sciences and maths option, you'll probably be stuck in the same class for the entire course. I feel that it's more of a secondary school system in Taylors compared to Inti.

However, the quality of teachers in Inti is truthfully not that good. We had to do a lot of self studying and you pretty much have to depend a lot on yourself to get good grades. The resources that you are exposed to in Inti is also not that varied. Their library pretty much is catered to the HSC and AUP students. :S

Feel free to ask me more questions if you want to
NicoleJY is offline   Reply With Quote
WhiteCandy Female
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
  #6 Old 27-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJY View Post
Hi, I think I can give you a bit of an insider's view on Inti College Penang, since I was a student there for the January intake last year. I only did one semester there cos I took the Bursary offer and switched to Taylor's College Sri Hartamas to start over.

I don't know much about TCSJ, except for the fact that there will be a HUGE amount of scholarship students for their July intake. I don't quite like the environment there either, cos I feel that it's a bit too crowded and messy but I don't think that will affect much though

I quite enjoyed the college atmosphere in Inti, where you get to pick your own classes and having different classmates for different classes. In TCSJ, seeing that you're picking the most common 3 sciences and maths option, you'll probably be stuck in the same class for the entire course. I feel that it's more of a secondary school system in Taylors compared to Inti.

However, the quality of teachers in Inti is truthfully not that good. We had to do a lot of self studying and you pretty much have to depend a lot on yourself to get good grades. The resources that you are exposed to in Inti is also not that varied. Their library pretty much is catered to the HSC and AUP students. :S

Feel free to ask me more questions if you want to
Why did you eventually decide to transfer to TCSH from Inti? Is it because of the quality of lecturers there? Btw, are the lecturers in the Sri Hartamas campus good? How about the surroundings? Is it student-friendly? Are the food and stuffs there expensive? cos it's like Damansara area ... Hehe sorry cos I'm really not familiar with KL and Selangor yet
WhiteCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
wannie Female
Member
 
wannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 188
  #7 Old 28-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

I have a lot of outstation friends from places like Kedah, Johor, Sarawak, and Sabah. They seemed to really enjoy themselves so I guess you'll fit in. And yes I do agree with Nicole that the classroom and academic setting is like normal school (same classmates, follow timetable, etc). A campus filled with people of your age and doing the same course may be a good thing or a bad thing, to me I was quite indifferent about it.

Is INTI under CIE A levels?
__________________
Malaysia Public Policy Competition 2013
https://www.facebook.com/ICMSMPPC



We have a MPPC Meme Contest NOW!
http://www.recom.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16172
wannie is offline   Reply With Quote
WhiteCandy Female
Super Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
  #8 Old 28-05-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Yes, Inti is under CIE A levels too

Btw, do you live in a hostel? The accommodation arranged by Taylor's this year is in Subang Olives Residency. I've never heard or even been there, but friends said that it's very luxurious. But then there will be 2 to 5 people in each room depending on the size, and about 8 to 12 people in the whole unit. Do you think it will be distracting to be in the same unit as soooo many people? I'm used to studying at home and so I'm worried that with so many people around the house, it will be somehow distracting..
WhiteCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
NicoleJY Female
Less Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 52
  #9 Old 17-06-2013 Default Re: Taylor's College Subang Jaya or Inti College Penang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCandy View Post
Why did you eventually decide to transfer to TCSH from Inti? Is it because of the quality of lecturers there? Btw, are the lecturers in the Sri Hartamas campus good? How about the surroundings? Is it student-friendly? Are the food and stuffs there expensive? cos it's like Damansara area ... Hehe sorry cos I'm really not familiar with KL and Selangor yet
I thought for a long time before deciding to transfer. I still don't like leaving my house to go to KL but I have to admit, I learnt more in TCSH compared to Inti. I really like all my lecturers now in TCSH but it depends on what subjects you're taking, I guess. I have a friend who's taking Accounting and she says all the Accounting teachers are not very good.

One thing about Sri Hartamas is that it is more of an expensive area to live in. The supermarket is expensive, and a meal usually costs from RM5 onwards, depending on what you eat. But we're coping with it by ordering catered food instead of going out for meals every night. Saves time as well
NicoleJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SEGi College Subang Jaya - Everyday intake for June 2012!! segisubangjaya Education 0 12-06-2012 03:30 PM
House For rent at subang jaya SS 15 Near Taylor And Inti bach88 Advertisements 0 24-05-2012 10:27 AM
Room To Let at No:4, USJ 2/2H Subang Jaya, Opposite Segi College & USJ Summit Mall seanlim Advertisements 0 31-08-2009 04:13 AM
ADP @ Inti Subang Jaya College curiositykills Education 0 14-05-2008 11:47 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ReCom stands for Reborn Community. It has no affiliation with other organizations that may share the same name. The views expressed in this website solely represent the authors point of view and do not necessarily reflect the views of ReCom Anchors and other ReCom users.


 

Page generated in 0.11210 seconds with 17 queries