ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Question about engineering and scholarship

WeiJie
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 19-07-2004 Default Question about engineering and scholarship

Hi can i ask anyone here studying engineering ??? oh yeah is chemical engineering in other conutries ???
few weeks ago if im not mistaken someone taught me how to get more informationa bout the course i want but im still confusing ....

i'll be delighted if someone could help me with this
course : chemical engineering or soemthing about chemical
requirement : ??? izzit furthermath is important ??? well i dint take FM so will i be consider disqualified for good university for chemical engineering course ???
Univer. :which uni is good for it ?? UK and Australia
Scholarship : im studying in taylors C A's Level now and aiming to AUS , UK for further study , however there are some rumours tat CAL student hardly to apply scholarship , izzit true ?? anyone been through this , how can i apply ??
experience: is chemical engineering hard ? need fluent english ?( my eng is bad ) and anyone here study double degree ???

well i think i ask too much , sorry to say but i really need some help here .....
WeiJie is offline   Reply With Quote
debbie
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 19-07-2004 Default

Just like Wei Jie, I'm also rather blur on the whole engineering jazz. I'd be thankful to anyone who can supply info on education related to mech and aeronautical engineering... basically , the same info needed like Wei Jie's except it's not chem engineering.
debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
wawa Female

#3 Old 19-07-2004 Default

chemical engineering has more to do with physics than chemistry..
knowing furthur math is a plus but not necessity.
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
weich
Anchors

#4 Old 21-07-2004 Default

hopefully this will be useful, a simple article written by me and my team member about our courses in InternshipASIA.com:

Chemical Engineering by Julia

Aeronautical Engineering by me
weich is offline   Reply With Quote
dinna_g

#5 Old 22-07-2004 Default Re: Question about engineering and scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiJie
requirement : ??? izzit furthermath is important ??? well i dint take FM so will i be consider disqualified for good university for chemical engineering course ???
If you're taking A Levels, a common combination would be Math, Chem & Physics. FM is not a requirement but is a plus. So, if you wanna do FM, you might wanna take 4 classes, which is hard. However, the 3 classes should be a good combination. You don't have to worry for not taking FM.

Quote:
Univer. :which uni is good for it ?? UK and Australia
I don't really know. But if you're planning to go to the UK, UMIST is one of the best univ is chem eng. It is located in Manchester. As far as engineering is concern, I think US is the best place to go. I can be biased as I'm studying in the states right now.

Quote:
experience: is chemical engineering hard ? need fluent english ?( my eng is bad ) and anyone here study double degree ???
This is not a discouragement, I'm just being honest. As far as I know, Chem Eng is the hardest engineering course. IMO, the level of toughness of a course is not a good measure. As long as you're interested, I'm sure you gonna do well...

As far as english is concern, I'm sure your english is fine. Plus, you'll improve over time especially when you're doing your A Levels at taylor's. Taylor's is a very good college to go to. You'll be fine...

You need to have some confidence over there... Sorry I don't have the answer to all of your qs. Good luck!
dinna_g is offline   Reply With Quote
WeiJie
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 22-07-2004 Default

chemical engineering has more to do with physics than chemistry
how come ???
ya i heard tat us engineering course not bad , however its too late for me to change my course now CAL usually wont attempt to study in US anymore

thx for the information
ermmm alrite now the situation is FM is not a requiement for chemical engineering however does it affect the uni u apply for ?
jus like u got 3a for the science subs and another for think skill ( i dunno u guys heard b4 ) and i person got the same result but get b or c for FM , does the b or c put in the consideration for accepting ur application ? or it depend on who come 1st , first serve
WeiJie is offline   Reply With Quote
Steppe
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 22-07-2004 Default

For the chemical engineering course in UK, you may refer to this URL as a rough guide for the rankings of UK Universities which offer chemical engineering.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...421100,00.html

You can check for any other University rankings for other course by just highlighting/choosing the course in the drop down list of "Choose a subject" in this URL.
Steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
vaio
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 22-07-2004 Default

hint hint

don't ever think that if you are good in high school chemistry (ie SPM chemistry) , chem e is the best choice for u

chem e is the most versatile engineering principle...of course chemistry is its foundation, but it also revolves around all the physics principle and enginnering applicatin

i have met many ex-chem e undergraduates who finally had to choose other major because once they started taking chem e classes, they felt that they didn't belong to this field...if u think that if u r good in chemistry, biochem is the best major... so good knowledge in chemistry doesn't guarantee your success in this major...

btw i think that spm chemistry is crap...once u start taking the advanced chemistry courses, u will discover that many of those basic chem principle covered in the spm syllabus was changed to make it easier...so what u have learn is basically nothing..hehe

btw....p chem involves manipulation of mathematics and physics principles in chemistry....another fun stuff beside the evil o chem stuff wakakaka

and one more thing usa still offers the best place to pursue chem e.....no offend to uk...
vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
pandaboy

#9 Old 22-07-2004 Default

Thread moved to "Education".

If u really like chemistry, maybe u should try pharmacy? Lots of chemistry in it....
pandaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
aarontys
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 22-07-2004 Default

Isn't that more to biology? 8O
aarontys is offline   Reply With Quote