ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

Supreme08
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 15-05-2011 Default Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

I'm granted a scholarship by JPA to study medic at Aimst. Yet, studying overseas is always my dream. I really wish to take up degree course at top notch university, such as Imperial, Edinburgh, Melbourne, Queensland, etc., but I'm not from a rich family. My family can provide me partial support but they can't guarantee a full course support.
Btw, I'm doing my A-level at Sunway, subjects are bio, chem, psycho and maths. Medic isn't my first choice actually, I applied for dentistry but JPA offers me medic.
Is there any way I can get fee waiver/financial aid/scholarship based on my A-level results in the UK, US, Aus, from the government, any agency or the Uni itself?
I know getting a dentistry scholarship isn't easy. Law, biomedical science and accounting are my choices as well.
Do JPA and any other corporate group in Malaysia offer scholarship/loan for these courses?
Is it better to accept JPA scholarship? or reject it and apply for others after A-level? Please help me. I don't wanna regret in future.
Supreme08 is offline   Reply With Quote
littlewheatgrass Female

#2 Old 15-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme08 View Post
I'm granted a scholarship by JPA to study medic at Aimst. Yet, studying overseas is always my dream. I really wish to take up degree course at top notch university, such as Imperial, Edinburgh, Melbourne, Queensland, etc., but I'm not from a rich family. My family can provide me partial support but they can't guarantee a full course support.
Btw, I'm doing my A-level at Sunway, subjects are bio, chem, psycho and maths. Medic isn't my first choice actually, I applied for dentistry but JPA offers me medic.
Is there any way I can get fee waiver/financial aid/scholarship based on my A-level results in the UK, US, Aus, from the government, any agency or the Uni itself?
I know getting a dentistry scholarship isn't easy. Law, biomedical science and accounting are my choices as well.
Do JPA and any other corporate group in Malaysia offer scholarship/loan for these courses?
Is it better to accept JPA scholarship? or reject it and apply for others after A-level? Please help me. I don't wanna regret in future.
UK govt has capped a limit that no more than 7% of the medicine place in UK can be offered to international students. so entry into medicine course in UK is very competitive. As for Australia, Sydney, Melbourne & Queenland only do 4 years Graduate Entry Program, not the 5 years Undergraduate.

Currently there are only two route available under JPA to study medicine in UK. First being IMU twinning, and 2nd being the Ivy League setara which is an optional scholarship given to students admitted into World Top 20 Uni which currently only include Oxbridge, Imperial & UCL. Since you are being offered PIDN AIMST , then highly unlikely JPA will allow you to change to PILN via IMU twinning.
littlewheatgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#3 Old 15-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

There is a similar restriction on the number of international students that can be admitted into Australian medical schools too so be prepared to face stiff competition. As littlewheatgrass mentioned, many of the top medical schools in Australia have adopted the graduate-entry model. UMelb, USydney, UQ, UWA and ANU are exclusively graduate entry. The only remaining Go8 medical schools that take in undergraduate students are UNSW, Monash and UAdelaide.

Scholarships for international students in Australia are few and far between for most courses and are almost non-existent for medicine and dentistry.
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 15-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

What about doing medicine as a second degree in US unis?Is it true that it is almost impossible for foreigners to do medicine in US?
melindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#5 Old 15-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaL View Post
What about doing medicine as a second degree in US unis?Is it true that it is almost impossible for foreigners to do medicine in US?
second degree? what do you mean?

medicine (and other professional qualifications) is (are) offered only as a graduate program.

it isn't impossible. it just takes an insanely long time to graduate as a doctor because in the US.

Quote:
YES you have financial aid if you apply to the US but you can't do law or medicine for undergraduate because they only offer it as a postgraduate program.

as far as i'm concerned, very few corporations sponsor dentistry (almost nil). law and accounting there probably are a few.

it's entirely up to you. the 'gamble' is in your hands

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

(looking for people to parler franšais! PM me!)

Last edited by ayjiahui; 16-05-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
ayjiahui is offline   Reply With Quote
Supreme08
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 15-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

Well, I'm applying to australian Unis to study law, is there any way I can get financial aids/ scholarship?
ayjiahui Female
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#7 Old 16-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

Quote:
Well, I'm applying to australian Unis to study law, is there any way I can get financial aids/ scholarship?
as far as i'm concerned i only know of this scholarship: ANU Malaysian Alumni Scholarship it's very competitive too. hmm. but i don't know of any other scholarships. check with corporations i suppose?

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy.
~Henry Kissinger

(looking for people to parler franšais! PM me!)
ayjiahui is offline   Reply With Quote
littlewheatgrass Female

#8 Old 16-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

Quote:
You can try Sime Darby scholarship or Bank Negara scholarship. But I really can't ascertain what your real interest is ?? One minute Medic, One minute Dentistry, One minute Law, One minute Accounting ... I think you just obsess of going overseas to study irrespective what course it is.

Last edited by littlewheatgrass; 16-05-2011 at 12:08 AM.
littlewheatgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Supreme08
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 16-05-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

haha.
Medicine is not my choice actually.
I'm considering these courses, dentistry (i have be realistic because it's not easy accepted into universities with this course), biomedical science and law.
With my subject combination:bio, chem, maths, psycho, i can take up these courses.
for accounting, it is a suggestion from my high school seniors. They said I can apply to do accounting as an alternative plan.

Last edited by Supreme08; 16-05-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Fire_Spectar Female
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 09-06-2011 Default Re: Medic at Aimst, to accept or not?

I'm studying medicine in Aimst currently.

The medical course here may differ from other medical schools in terms of syllabus because it is tailored by alumni and lecturers to make the syllabus more integrated once you've reached fifth year and it makes life a tad easier. However it doesn't change the fact that studying medicine is still tough.

In my opinion, just take the offer JPA has given you. I'm a JPA scholar myself and I didn't want to do medicine either, but since my family can't afford to send me to study anywhere else, nor anything else (meaning other professional degrees) the moment JPA sent me the offer letter I was about to cry (both in joy and fear of taking up such a tough course!). I'm thankful with what I have.

If you're worried about social life here, have no fear; visitors sometimes comment that the medical students here don't look like medical students (some of them...) nor do we act like one sometimes! We hangout, we play sports, we have all sorts of characters here, and we have many clubs and societies to join in for fun!

Oh, about the JPA offer, a friend of mine, who is also a JPA scholar, switched from medicine to dentistry before we entered first year. But she could not switch universities.

Okay,okay, I know I sound like I'm promoting Aimst or something, but I assure you it's of no sort and I'm only telling you what I feel. It's up to you to decline the JPA offer (or ask for a change in course) or just take it and go with the flow...

p/s: Sorry I found this thread late, I'm going through my Professional Exams now...