ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Packing light to India

the_who
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 05-09-2006 Default Packing light to India

Hiee. I'm fairly new here.

I'll be going to India soon to do medicine. My check-in luggage should weigh 20 kg at most but unfortunately, it is heavier. So, I'm asking for any suggestions, especially from those who studied/are studying in India, on how to pack light. What did you guyzz bring? International brands such as Neutrogena and Pantene as well as electrical appliances are quite expensive in India. So, I'm bringing them with me.

Thanx in advance.

P/S: Do they really charge you on extra baggage? Even one or two kg excess?
the_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Tralon
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 05-09-2006 Default

So, tell me,

where are u heading?
Tralon is offline   Reply With Quote
the_who
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 07-09-2006 Default

manipal..
mediator
Less Junior Member

#4 Old 07-09-2006 Default

i heard they do charge on extra weight,yes
but i'm not sure about the rate.can reach RM100+ per xtra kg (if u're using MAS,i think)
different airlines charge differently.do ask around for the accurate info.
and come early,if u're lucky they might excuse the excess weights..
a senior of someone i know brought luggages of 4kg more than the max weight but wasn't charged any extras,he came very early.
mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
CyberJaya

#5 Old 07-09-2006 Default

lucky you going to india. i wish i was going. all the hot girls out there. eh heh heh.
CyberJaya is offline   Reply With Quote
the_who
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 07-09-2006 Default

mediator, each extra kilogram will cost us RM 40.

if it's 5 kg excess, 40 x 5 = RM 200.

aiyoo..matilah..

CyberJaya, where are you off to?
Tralon
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 07-09-2006 Default

Actually you can send them your extra baggage into a cargo category. It's actually as an accompanied goods. MAS charges RM15 per kg, but you have to pick them up at the Bangalore airport along with the relevant documents.

By the way, I wouldn't be too much concern of shampoo's or much electrical goods if I was you. They do have them in India, although the price difference aren't too much different, and you might end up lugging too much unnecessary weight anyway.

I guess the only things that are not available in India is just plain M'sian food.

And i do feel amaze that I've seen once, a M'sian students carrying his motorbike engine with him to India. I guess that's a bit too extreme for me.
Tralon is offline   Reply With Quote
mediator
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 07-09-2006 Default

motorbike engine?
anyway,yes,kargo is another option.
mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
ingshan
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 07-09-2006 Default

anyway, welcome to manipal. I'm from Batch18 MMMC student...lol

err, in mangalore airport recently, i was charged rs2000++ for extra weight. They limit one hand luggage only onto the place (inclusive of your laptop). THis is for local flight.

I think you can talk over to your travel agent to increase the weight limit. I think for MAS, they allow until 25kg on plane, but then you'll suffer in mangalore if u bring too many things. Haha...

electrical stuff such as kettle is ok to bring but the plug head is different. BUt then u can chage the head in electrical shops here...no prob. ANyhow, i wudn't suggest bringing electric kettle here...just buy one second hand kettle from ur seniors...

you can get msians shampoo brand in MAnipal Store..haha. So no worry not to have your shampoo...unless u r choosy...
ingshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Zeroth

#10 Old 07-09-2006 Default

Call up MAS office and tell them about your situation. Sometimes they will give u an extra 10kg allowance if you are a student.
Zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote