ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > SPM & STPM

SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

STPM Further Maths 2009

Eurytos Male

#81 Old 08-05-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnivan View Post
Huh? I 'am' taking further mathematics this year...
I was referring to markwongsk. Not you, good luck for your Further Mathematics ! ( other subjects fail never mind : ) )
Super Junior Member

#82 Old 15-05-2009 Smile Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoykcuf View Post
mark has answered you in very detail way dy. lol

each book range from rm100-200
so total is rm500-1000
i got one book in my computer in pdf form, if you want u can pm me.
if u can come kedah, u can find me to ask me for the book
Hei, I'm interesting with your further math referrence book in pdf form. So, can I get a copy from u?
Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
keethai Male
Super Junior Member

#83 Old 21-05-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

is there any further maths tuition here at cheras area? kl?
keethai is offline   Reply With Quote
Johnivan Male

#84 Old 02-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keethai View Post
is there any further maths tuition here at cheras area? kl?
Sorry, but you have to find it out yourself. Further Maths teachers are really rare in Malaysia, but i think there will be more in the KL area...

A few links worth checking out:
My Life Story
Further Mathematics T Blog (2003-2011 Syllabus)
Johnivan is offline   Reply With Quote
PsyMaths Male
Super Junior Member

#85 Old 22-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

I am planning to take Further Maths but I am not that good at maths. I got about average of 90+ for maths and 75+ for add maths in secondary school only. I make frequent mistake and unable to answer some "out of syllabus" question in Form 4 n Form 5 textbook.

The problem here is there is no reference book for STPM further maths alone. I have those 5 uni/college level books mentioned and glance through but I couldn't understand the number & graph theory and statistics part. Furthermore, the example given is too little and some are not included in syllabus. And my weakest part of Maths is probability. Should I take further maths? And I am thinking of going for A-level Further maths tuition.

Last edited by PsyMaths; 22-06-2009 at 12:15 AM.
PsyMaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Johnivan Male

#86 Old 23-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyMaths View Post
I am planning to take Further Maths but I am not that good at maths. I got about average of 90+ for maths and 75+ for add maths in secondary school only. I make frequent mistake and unable to answer some "out of syllabus" question in Form 4 n Form 5 textbook.

The problem here is there is no reference book for STPM further maths alone. I have those 5 uni/college level books mentioned and glance through but I couldn't understand the number & graph theory and statistics part. Furthermore, the example given is too little and some are not included in syllabus. And my weakest part of Maths is probability. Should I take further maths? And I am thinking of going for A-level Further maths tuition.
Hi, nice to meet you!
I would say it would be a little dangerous for you to take further maths if you get only 75+ for add maths (If you want to get an A in STPM)... But of course, if you really put in a lot of effort and understanding, i'm sure it won't be a problem. I'm not discouraging you to take further maths, but i must say that you must be very careful when you make this decision. Make sure you won't regret after that...

Graph theory is OK, but i agree with you that Number theory is hard to understand. Have you actually read thru your Maths T? If you haven't, i would encourage you to do so, cuz you won't understand a single thing without going thru your maths T. When i started studying FMT last year, i got stuck in some integration questions, but after learning it in Maths T this year, everything came to place.

I've never taken further maths tuition, but i think the A-level Further maths tuition will help, except that they don't cover graph and number theory, transformation Geometry, Logic & proof, recurrence relations and chi-squared tests (correct me if i'm wrong). You still have to work these chapters out yourself.

Hope that helps.

A few links worth checking out:
My Life Story
Further Mathematics T Blog (2003-2011 Syllabus)
Johnivan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnivan For This Useful Post:
PsyMaths Male
Super Junior Member

#87 Old 23-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnivan View Post
Hi, nice to meet you!
I would say it would be a little dangerous for you to take further maths if you get only 75+ for add maths (If you want to get an A in STPM)... But of course, if you really put in a lot of effort and understanding, i'm sure it won't be a problem. I'm not discouraging you to take further maths, but i must say that you must be very careful when you make this decision. Make sure you won't regret after that...

Graph theory is OK, but i agree with you that Number theory is hard to understand. Have you actually read thru your Maths T? If you haven't, i would encourage you to do so, cuz you won't understand a single thing without going thru your maths T. When i started studying FMT last year, i got stuck in some integration questions, but after learning it in Maths T this year, everything came to place.

I've never taken further maths tuition, but i think the A-level Further maths tuition will help, except that they don't cover graph and number theory, transformation Geometry, Logic & proof, recurrence relations and chi-squared tests (correct me if i'm wrong). You still have to work these chapters out yourself.

Hope that helps.
Ya... everything blur. I juz finish my complex number. I haven't started the others(especially statistics) as I am waiting for teacher to finish teaching first. Now starting logic and proof. Consider to read recurrence relations after that. I found that the Further Pure Mathematics by Bostock, L. Chandler, S & Rourke C(orange in colour dictionary like) book very hard to understand. Whereas the another one Further Pure Mathematics by Gaulter B & Gaulter M, Oxford 2001 is easy to understand. Which of these 2 books is the main one actually? Another one, I heard from here that Eukyfos even need to write a letter to school for appealing to take Further Maths. Means not every school will allow students to take FM?

Last edited by PsyMaths; 23-06-2009 at 09:18 PM.
PsyMaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Scrmath Male

#88 Old 23-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyMaths View Post
Ya... everything blur. I juz finish my complex number. I haven't started the others(especially statistics) as I am waiting for teacher to finish teaching first. Now starting logic and proof. Consider to read recurrence relations after that. I found that the Further Pure Mathematics by Bostock, L. Chandler, S & Rourke C(orange in colour dictionary like) book very hard to understand. Whereas the another one Further Pure Mathematics by Gaulter B & Gaulter M, Oxford 2001 is easy to understand. Which of these 2 books is the main one actually? Another one, I heard from here that Eukyfos even need to write a letter to school for appealing to take Further Maths. Means not every school will allow students to take FM?
I agree wad john said...i m not discouraging u,but i suggest u should read more math t first,and do their trial,if u think u cn do it fairly good,then only u consider take it..

btw,it is merely a suggestion..and i din take further math also...
Scrmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Eurytos Male

#89 Old 29-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

I have finally obtained my copy of past year further mathematics STPM papers complete with solutions coupled with notes for certain FM chapters. If any of you would like a copy of the notes, feel free to PM me and i will sent you a set. Do take note though that i dont stand to make a profit from photocopying the notes for any of you.

What I would like to see is that students across the country take up further mathematics as a 5th subject. All the best for all Further mathematics candidates out there !
markwongsk Male
Developer

#90 Old 29-06-2009 Default Re: STPM Further Maths 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
I have finally obtained my copy of past year further mathematics STPM papers complete with solutions coupled with notes for certain FM chapters. If any of you would like a copy of the notes, feel free to PM me and i will sent you a set. Do take note though that i dont stand to make a profit from photocopying the notes for any of you.

What I would like to see is that students across the country take up further mathematics as a 5th subject. All the best for all Further mathematics candidates out there !
What about as the 6th Subject?
markwongsk is offline   Reply With Quote