ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > SPM & STPM

SPM & STPM Post questions on SPM and STPM topics ONLY.

How you did in school and in SPM?

Jamie54 Female
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 23-02-2011 Exclamation How you did in school and in SPM?

Hi, I'm a SPM candidate in 2010 and the results are going to be released soon. I'm kinda nervous about it.

So perhaps anyone of you who'd taken your results last year(2010) can share how you did normally in school and what's your grade(of subjects) you get in SPM? I just wanna know the range roughly and prepare myself for the coming result.

And what's the range of mark for A+?? I sat for BM,BI,BC,BIO,CHE,PHY,PM,SEJ,MX and A.MX papers.

Kindly thanks to those who are going to respond.
Jamie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicholas92 Male
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#2 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

How I did normally - up until my SPM results I had gotten As for subjects like Sejarah and BM only a handful of times, my Moral grades were pretty unpredictable and things like Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics were usually stable A-Bs. Add Maths started out at about C and got to around an A in the end.

Then they told us about the A+ grade. Naturally I cursed. But when my results came out, BAM. 9A+s. For subjects I'd never been able to get a convincing A for in regular exams.

In fact a lot of my friends got A+s for almost everything, most people just missed it in one or two subjects. So all that hype about the A+ being a really high-ranking grade isn't nearly that true. There's no way it's really pegged at 90% - there's no way in hell I scored above 90 in BM or Sejarah, for instance, I have never been able to do that, even discounting the fact that my school's papers may have been harder which I don't think it was. So I would say if you've been getting As for about half or more of your subjects and nothing's been below a stable B for recent months then you're quite safe for SPM, probably get As and a handful more A+s.

Can't help you with Chinese though. People always get slaughtered with that, I remember even our best students didn't manage an A+. In my year lots of people missed the A+ for Biology too, but I don't know why.

To be honest I was a little disappointed in the examination system. Of course as I student I was really happy, having those results really helps of course. But as someone who wishes to see the education system advance, I was disappointed that the coveted new grade was still apparently so easy to get. I was expecting that my schoo'ls top students would get only 4-5 A+s while each of us may get maybe 1 or 2 max for the subjects we were especially good in. What does it say about society when so many people can get what is supposed to be a 90% grade? I scoffed when the ministers said the grade was worth 90% of the paper's marks.
Nicholas92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas92 For This Useful Post:
cycycy Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#3 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas92 View Post
Can't help you with Chinese though. People always get slaughtered with that, I remember even our best students didn't manage an A+. In my year lots of people missed the A+ for Biology too, but I don't know why.
I would say the marking/grading for the BC paper was rather stringent. The highest grade that was obtained by our school was only A-. And considering the fact that some of the handful who got A- were champions of the district BC knowledge competition. (they had excellent grasp of the Chinese language)

I got only B+ for biology
Emily Dickinson~

* Blog * Facebook *
Once an Ausmatian, forever an Ausmatian. Ausmatians for life! (:

cycycy is offline   Reply With Quote
yiling Female

#4 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

my school, a chinese SMJK school some more, with nearly 600 students taking chinese in year 2009. And yeah, only ONE, you're not wrong, ONE, there's only ONE girl who got A+ for chinese.
yiling is offline   Reply With Quote
cycycy Female
ReCom Staff
ReMag Writer

#5 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiling View Post
my school, a chinese SMJK school some more, with nearly 600 students taking chinese in year 2009. And yeah, only ONE, you're not wrong, ONE, there's only ONE girl who got A+ for chinese.
Wow. I believe you That girl is awesome
Emily Dickinson~

* Blog * Facebook *
Once an Ausmatian, forever an Ausmatian. Ausmatians for life! (:

cycycy is offline   Reply With Quote
KenT13
Slightly Senior Member

#6 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

lol, did the moe purposely set higher benchmark for BC? is racial issue being considered in education? i'm waiting for my results too. really damn nervous. no confidence also. dunno how to face my teacher and friends. worst for me is biology paper 3, somehow on that day i managed to get tips from friends just utside the exam hall, appearantly they saw the experimental question. so, quickly i used every single nerves in my brain to memorise the facts in the reference book. .. .WHOOLA the topic is exactly the same. without hesitation , i regurgitated everything, yes everything..exactly the same in the book onto the answer sheets. . . then time's up. i handed in the paper confidently, and celebrated my days for bio is my last paper. . .then i went back home. have a glance again on the paper. . . .My day was completely destroyed. without reading the question properly, i "pasted" everything in the book. yea, the topic and experiment was correctly as my friends said, but the question is not. so everything in my answer sheet did not fit or answer the question...doomed!! it's already too late./

Last edited by KenT13; 23-02-2011 at 03:47 PM.
KenT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
yiling Female

#7 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

LOL!!! as for the bio paper 3, i think i screwed the experiment, my friends too, maybe the whole form 5 screwed it coz no one actually expected that experiment to be coming out. Even our teacher also neglected that maize plant experiment. Everyone was like doomed! I created my own experiment though, don't give me a B in return.

As for chinese, since i'm from SMJK school, and a prestigious school some more in Malaysia, with only one A+ last year, my principal was really really not satisfied with this result. I think she gave some pressure to the chinese panitia. The whole chinese department in my school is like in chaos, busy gather notes and held last minute intensive chinese course before SPM. And only those who managed to get A for chinese in trial are able to attend that course, so called 精英班。From here, I can see that teachers are working so hard to increase the percentage of A+ for chinese.

Sadly, this is not the problem of teachers or students but the marking system itself. I think Chinese is the only subject that is marked based on the marking scheme and the grades are given accordingly without lowering the mark. So, the benchmark is still normal for chinese but lowered for other subject. Sad huh? RUMOUR: SPM results in a week. let's see how many students get A+ this year! LOL
miza_kakcik Female
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

Well. I am very hopeful that the grade will be lower in this SPM result.
miza_kakcik is offline   Reply With Quote
KenT13
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

=.= how dare you say like that.actually what are you trying to convey? hope that grade wil be lower? you mean the range of marks for certain grade is it? btw i edited post no.6 already

#10 Old 23-02-2011 Default Re: How you did in school and in SPM?

KenT13, i thought u got it correct. XD Almost everyone in my school didnt expect that to come out. We just happened to wrote the experiment wrongly together. XD and yeah, i planted the maize plant for 3 months to see the competition. My friend said one month is more than enough. =.=