ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

UK 2011 Application

Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#11 Old 24-10-2010 Default Re: UK 2011 Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiLyn91 View Post
I thought of Oxford but I guess my sort of average grades in my AS deterred me to apply. Feeling regret for not applying now but oh well what is done is done. =)

Durham is not recognised by the Bar Council of Malaysia so JPA would definitely not send me there. I'm torn between KCL, QMUL and Bristol for that final choice. Since I have decided on LSE, UCL, Nottingham and Cardiff, I have just another spot left. The BIG question is to choose another uni with LNAT or not? Plus, I'm not confident of getting an offer from top unis like UCL and LSE with just aabb in AS while many of my peers applying got results like aaab or aaaa.

HELP please....
Well, think about it this way. Your LNAT may be your chance to redeem yourself if you feel that your AS results were not up to par.

I didn't do that well for my LNAT either [the average for that year was around 16.2/30 and I got a 17] and the university I wanted gave me an offer anyway.

From what I know, universities use the LNAT as a "cut-off" requirement. E.g. applicants with less than a certain score are immediately disqualified. I don't think it's primarily used as a "tiebreaker". I know that doesn't help matters but the point is, most unis who use it as a "cut-off" requirement usually won't set the cut-off point so absurdly high [e.g. 20]. So I wouldn't worry about LNAT too much; just do your best.

P.S. Out of the three, I would pick Bristol. Not a fan of KCL; UCL is so much better [many of my tutors used to teach at UCL too].

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
YiLyn91 Female
Super Junior Member

#12 Old 25-10-2010 Default Re: UK 2011 Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassylicious View Post
Well, think about it this way. Your LNAT may be your chance to redeem yourself if you feel that your AS results were not up to par.

I didn't do that well for my LNAT either [the average for that year was around 16.2/30 and I got a 17] and the university I wanted gave me an offer anyway.

From what I know, universities use the LNAT as a "cut-off" requirement. E.g. applicants with less than a certain score are immediately disqualified. I don't think it's primarily used as a "tiebreaker". I know that doesn't help matters but the point is, most unis who use it as a "cut-off" requirement usually won't set the cut-off point so absurdly high [e.g. 20]. So I wouldn't worry about LNAT too much; just do your best.

P.S. Out of the three, I would pick Bristol. Not a fan of KCL; UCL is so much better [many of my tutors used to teach at UCL too].
I tried a couple of LNAT question and I think they are not too bad. lol
I am decided on LSE (A*AA), UCL (AAA+LNAT), Nottingham (AAB+LNAT) and Cardiff (ABB) at the moment. One more choice to go and its killing me. Can't decide between KCL, QMUL and Bristol. KCL and Bristol needs LNAT while QMUL don't but I don't really fancy the east side of London though after I've been there.

Which year are you in now?
YiLyn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
unsolvedcryptex Male
Slightly Senior Member

#13 Old 25-10-2010 Default Re: UK 2011 Application

Quote:
I am decided on LSE (A*AA), UCL (AAA+LNAT), Nottingham (AAB+LNAT) and Cardiff (ABB) at the moment. One more choice to go and its killing me. Can't decide between KCL, QMUL and Bristol. KCL and Bristol needs LNAT while QMUL don't but I don't really fancy the east side of London though after I've been there.

If you are taking LNAT for two of the university you are applying to, then the LNAT as requirement in another university will not alter your choice. Don't take those into consideration since you are already taking LNAT if you want to apply to Nottingham and UCL
Glassylicious Female
The Iron Fist
Chief Editor of ReMag
Administrator

#14 Old 25-10-2010 Default Re: UK 2011 Application

Quote:

3rd [and final] year.

Friend: "I've discovered something that's even better than sitting on a chair and spinning on it -- sitting on a chair BACKWARDS and spinning on it!" *spins around in glee*

Compliment yourself today!
Glassylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
YiLyn91 Female
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 25-10-2010 Default Re: UK 2011 Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolvedcryptex View Post
If you are taking LNAT for two of the university you are applying to, then the LNAT as requirement in another university will not alter your choice. Don't take those into consideration since you are already taking LNAT if you want to apply to Nottingham and UCL
Well LNAT is really tough. At least that is what many of my friends said after taking the exam.
YiLyn91 is offline   Reply With Quote