ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

day_dreamer Male
Slightly Senior Member

#91 Old 08-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingyi View Post
I'm just wondering, there will be a written test right?? what kind of topic will be it?? i'm applying for medicine course.

And during the interviews, will they ask some singapore-related political question that can puzzle you till jaw drop?? I'm pretty scared that they might ask some global political questions since i'm not a person who concerns about global news

Yup, i have heard that many chinese from China who got medals in maths Olympiad getting in NUS. It sounds like me getting in NUS is so impossible. I took A level, got 4 A* but did not get any medal from Olympiad and things like that. Do i stand any chance of getting in?? I just got an offer letter from Melaka Manipal campus.......am hesitating whether or not to defer the intake. It is a MARCH intake!!!
Medicine is the only profession you would consider ? How about joining NUS for Life Science then go to Duke-NUS for the postgraduate medicine program ?

Recommers should really consider Life Science in NUS. It's probably the best university in Asia to study biomedical science. We have equipments that you will probably faint when you know the price. We have professors who have studied under Nobel laureates .. (maybe one day we can have our own Nobel laureate too)

best of all... Life science is sickly competitive. You have no choice but to fight till the end... and at the end, you realized that you are already an elite. An elite in the society of biomedical science. This is how NUS changes her students, at least this is how I see it.
day_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to day_dreamer For This Useful Post:
kaylurb Male
Super Junior Member

#92 Old 09-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingyi View Post
I'm just wondering, there will be a written test right?? what kind of topic will be it?? i'm applying for medicine course.

And during the interviews, will they ask some singapore-related political question that can puzzle you till jaw drop?? I'm pretty scared that they might ask some global political questions since i'm not a person who concerns about global news

Yup, i have heard that many chinese from China who got medals in maths Olympiad getting in NUS. It sounds like me getting in NUS is so impossible. I took A level, got 4 A* but did not get any medal from Olympiad and things like that. Do i stand any chance of getting in?? I just got an offer letter from Melaka Manipal campus.......am hesitating whether or not to defer the intake. It is a MARCH intake!!!
the written test and interview will only be offered to those who are shortlisted. the written test is basically an essay requiring you to give your opinion on just about any topic related to medicine(research, health system,hospital policies etc). for the interviews, it really just goes along how you and the interviewers interact. i've heard of interviewers asking applicants(local and intl alike) describe their country's health system, who's their prime minister/health minister etc. it doesn't mean just because you're a msian you shouldn't bother to read up on singapore's health system(things like medisave,medishield,medifund etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiling View Post
I thought medicine is not available for international students? NUS does not allocate any medicine places for foreign students since NUS cannot cope the high demand of medicine course by Singaporean themselves.
that is not true. numbers may be few but there are international students in nus medicine. besides that, they're increasing intake for med students.
kaylurb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kaylurb For This Useful Post:
jaybee-hui
Super Junior Member

#93 Old 10-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Do we need to hand in our school leaving cert and testimonial in fact it's not stated in the application checklist?
Will it be better to give extra or strictly only those required?
Any seniors can give suggestion on this matter?

Last edited by jaybee-hui; 10-03-2011 at 09:26 PM.
jaybee-hui is offline   Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male

#94 Old 11-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee-hui View Post
Do we need to hand in our school leaving cert and testimonial in fact it's not stated in the application checklist?
Will it be better to give extra or strictly only those required?
Any seniors can give suggestion on this matter?
Give only what they request. The translated copies must be accompanied by the photocopied version of the original certs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Li Shan Shung For This Useful Post:
jaybee-hui
Super Junior Member

#95 Old 11-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

I just put the translation at the side of the certificate.
jaybee-hui is offline   Reply With Quote
day_dreamer Male
Slightly Senior Member

#96 Old 11-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Another great reason to study in NUS : NUS soared from 34th to 27th in international universities rankings in TIMES.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_643602.html

Hip Hip Horray ! Are you silver !?
day_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
sugan Male

#97 Old 13-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

hi , i m currently applying. based on the application ,

do we have to write the 'place ' besides the number at the 'POSTAL / ZIP' at contact information segment?

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENT OF PROVINCE AND STATE?

could I fill in SMK. rather than sekolah menengah kebangsaan , since my school is long to fill in the space given?
________
VAPORIZERINFO

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 04:55 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
sugan Male

#98 Old 14-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Would it be better to upload our documents or sent it by post, ?
________
Liane live

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 04:56 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#99 Old 15-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Eh, if i upload online, can i just scan the real certificate?

Then, since it's real, i don't have to certify it right?

apparently i thought spm certificate alone is enough, so i didn't go and certify my spm result slip.. but they NTU want the prove of english 1119, which is only printed on spm result slip, but not spm cert (lol).

so i was thinking, if i just scan the real slip and upload it, will that do?
but then, the result slip is in black and white, they can't tell if it's real or photocopy. haha!

help~ =]
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
edge_seraph Male
Super Junior Member

#100 Old 15-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

LOL.You still need to have them certified. Not the original ones, just the photocopies. About the 1119 O-Level certificate, there's one original copy for that. I got mine together with the SPM certificate. So, I think you should ask your school regarding this matter.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
Would it be better to upload our documents or sent it by post, ?
Either way will do, I suppose. It's up to your convenience.

Last edited by edge_seraph; 15-03-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
edge_seraph is offline   Reply With Quote