ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Mini Male
Super Junior Member

#21 Old 01-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

I am taking bio in my STPM,do i still eligible to apply engineering course in NUS?
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
yhu1 Female
Super Junior Member

#22 Old 02-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Shan Shung View Post

Only those applying for medicine, dentistry, law, architecture and nursing are required to go for interviews. No interviews needed for other faculty admissions.
Do they consider our second and third ambitions besides first ambition of career??

yhu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male

#23 Old 05-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
I am taking bio in my STPM,do i still eligible to apply engineering course in NUS?
Yes. You will be required to take physics bridging modules if you did not take STPM physics but you must at least have SPM level physics. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhu1 View Post
Do they consider our second and third ambitions besides first ambition of career??
Yes. They will contact you for the interviews if you are short-listed. You need extremely excellent results and other achievements to be short-listed for these degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon123 View Post
Hello, newbie here.

I am currently a final year student in UTAR. I am very interested to apply for Master of Science of Mechanical Engineering (Coursework Based) in NUS.

I have seen the webpage of NUS and they only said that it required a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in the subject or related discipline, but they did not specified clearly the academic results required to successfully admitted into the course.

My current CGPA is 3.9 (in UTAR max CGPA is 4.00). So I would like to ask how high is my chance to successfully apply for this course. I really hope to know about it.

Thank you.
Are you taking honours? Honours can boost your competitiveness in securing a spot.

NUS doesn't release the academic results required for admission (the same goes for undergraduates too). Again, it depends on how large or competitive your application cohort is.

Last edited by Li Shan Shung; 05-02-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Li Shan Shung is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#24 Old 05-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Hi TS, thanks for your effort =]

I do have a few questions, i'm a stpm 2010 leaver and now waiting for the stpm results.

do i apply for admission before or after i get my stpm result?

and if i get NUS does that mean i'll get scholarship / tuition grant automatically or do i need to do another set of procedure to get it?

lastly, u're a NUS student right? How was your MUET results? And how much is your living cost roughly?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male

#25 Old 06-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
Hi TS, thanks for your effort =]

I do have a few questions, i'm a stpm 2010 leaver and now waiting for the stpm results.

do i apply for admission before or after i get my stpm result?

and if i get NUS does that mean i'll get scholarship / tuition grant automatically or do i need to do another set of procedure to get it?

lastly, u're a NUS student right? How was your MUET results? And how much is your living cost roughly?
Hi there. Which faculty are you interested in?

1. Do apply after you get your stpm results. In the meantime, try looking for other scholarships, translating all your supporting documents into english and get your photocopied certs signed.

2. States on the website, "Candidates will be considered and shortlisted for interviews through their application for admission to NUS. No separate scholarship application is required." This is only applicable for ASEAN scholarship. If you are applying for other scholarships (eg. Singapore Scholarship), then you have to apply on your own.

3. In your admission application, you are given the option to decide whether you wish to accept the tuition grant. If you accept it, then you are only required to pay subsidised tuition fee. In return, you are obliged to serve in Singapore-based companies for 3 years upon your graduation. Most Malaysian students are under the tuition grant.

4. Yes. I am an NUS undergraduate studying Life Sciences in Faculty of Science. I scored 240 in my MUET.

5. Excluding tuition fee (Mine is around 5.6k per sem), I spend around $2800-3000 per sem (including accommodation, food, travelling outside, CCAs, textbooks, HP top up, etc)

Hope this helps. =)

Last edited by Li Shan Shung; 06-02-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Edited figures
The Following User Says Thank You to Li Shan Shung For This Useful Post:
leon123 Male
Super Junior Member

#26 Old 06-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Yes, I am taking honours. Thank you for answering my question.
leon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
sugan Male

#27 Old 07-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

could i roughly now the Total number of NUS course places taken up in 2010/2011
the science department...

how does this data helps?
________
Herbalaire review

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 04:50 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
jackieyong Male
Super Junior Member

#28 Old 08-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

I'm an uec holder and applied architecture in nus. I'm wondering what is the minimum requirement of uec result for architecture? and when will be the letter offered and asean scholarship calling for interview this year? thanks!
jackieyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Li Shan Shung Male

#29 Old 08-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post
could i roughly now the Total number of NUS course places taken up in 2010/2011
the science department...

how does this data helps?
I'm not sure about the other departments, but Life Sciences cohort has over 400 students (largest in science fac).

Are you applying for Science too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieyong View Post
I'm an uec holder and applied architecture in nus. I'm wondering what is the minimum requirement of uec result for architecture? and when will be the letter offered and asean scholarship calling for interview this year? thanks!
Again, they don't release the minimum results for confirmed entry into any programme in NUS. But architecture is an extremely competitive programme so the requirements should be higher and on par with medicine, dentistry, etc.
You will be called for interview and may have to do some drawings/sketching your ideas.

I received my admission offer letter 5 weeks after application deadline (around early May). Do check on your application via NUS website regularly. They did

ASEAN scholarship interview is around early april and the offer letter arrival date is around may-june. Varies since some got it much earlier than the others despite having the same results.

Last edited by Li Shan Shung; 08-02-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
jackieyong Male
Super Junior Member

#30 Old 08-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

thanks for your answer!!! its so nervous keep waiting from their reply.
jackieyong is offline   Reply With Quote