ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate

Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Li Shan Shung Male

#71 Old 25-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee-hui View Post
I only heard of one Msian doing law but she did A-level.

Singapore A-level? Or Cambridge A-level from Malaysia?
Thanks.
And do we have to get all certs to be translated to English?
Where should it be done?
Cambridge A-level in Msia.
I translated every academic certs at school, printed it out with the school logo header, get my counselor and principal to sign the translated copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya View Post
I see.. Hmm.. i'm not sure what major am i interested in... from the list in the webpage you gave me, maybe statistics and applied probability and chemistry i'd say.

btw, is business administration very competitive in NUS?

edit: i'm wondering if we'll need a valid passport first before applying? i used to have a passport but it's expired..
Are you planning to take biz ad as a minor or major?

I don't think you need a valid passport to apply but you will definitely need it to come over to SG.

Last edited by Li Shan Shung; 25-02-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Li Shan Shung is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#72 Old 25-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

well, if i can get engineering i probably will take that as minor.

but if i don't i'll take biz as major i guess.

btw, must we have both major and minor? can we just have 1 major and no minor?
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
sugan Male

#73 Old 25-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Seniors , how's life in NUS?

can you share your lifestyle, scenario in faculty, cost of living...etc...
________
The Legend Condominium

Last edited by sugan; 14-09-2011 at 04:54 PM.
sugan is offline   Reply With Quote
lordfoong Male
Less Junior Member

#74 Old 25-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post

would like to noe too

1 thing, on the application form thr, thrs 1 subsection for us to write an essay. wat shud i write? wt dey wanna hear? i hav totally no idea...any suggestions plz

hw about the diversity of the population thr?

Last edited by lordfoong; 26-02-2011 at 12:38 AM.
lordfoong is offline   Reply With Quote
llbbss8149 Male
Less Junior Member

#75 Old 26-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugan View Post

erm... lifestyle ? depend on what lifestyle you prefer. For me, I would say I'm very enjoy my lifestlye here. Other than studying, I join some events and some CCAs which organized by our own Malaysian group(MSL) and NUS. MSL has lots of events such as kayaking, night cycling and others while NUS got club, society and sports. I join CSC(Community Service Club) and I meet many new friends there. I can go out from the campus for volunteerism. CSC itself has many events too. Moreover, my friends and I will call some people and watch movie together in TV room during weekends. We play cards at times. I think socializing is very crucial here. Try to widen your circle of friends. This is because we are in overseas, our parents are not with us. So, if got problems we can approach friends for help. The Malaysians and the seniors here are very friendly. If you all have problems can seek help from MSL.

The scenario i think you can get it from NUS website.

My expenditure for each month is approximately S$300 and sometimes lower than that. Again, this depends on you, better food ? Economical rice, chicken rice, Japanese food, Yong Taufu, western food, fruit juices, noodles, roti prata are very normal food in NUS. There are subways, burger king and MCD too. Of course there are many outside campus. You all can go out and explore.

No need to worry to much. MSL will be there for you. We are planning the orientation week for the freshies(Malaysia) around July. So, if got Welcome Tea session around end May or early June(usually in Penang and KL), please try to attend as you can ask the seniors if you have doubts. Email will be sent out soon to notify you all about the events.

Cheers ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/limboonsin
Feel free to add me in facebook if you have questions regarding admission into NUS.
llbbss8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llbbss8149 For This Useful Post:
Li Shan Shung Male

#76 Old 26-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
well, if i can get engineering i probably will take that as minor.

but if i don't i'll take biz as major i guess.

btw, must we have both major and minor? can we just have 1 major and no minor?
Sure. 1 major is the minimum. If you feel up to it, you can take a 2nd major or 1-2 minors. =D

According to my biz ad friend, biz(acc) needs 4 flat while biz(finance) and biz ad are still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfoong View Post
would like to noe too

1 thing, on the application form thr, thrs 1 subsection for us to write an essay. wat shud i write? wt dey wanna hear? i hav totally no idea...any suggestions plz

hw about the diversity of the population thr?
You will definitely see more international students in the halls and residences than the locals (most locals stay at home). More Vietnamese, Chinese and Malaysians.

There are a lot of events organised by different societies and the student union all the time. You get to decide what you wish to participate or attend.

I join some clubs under Sports club, went for some Malaysian Student League(MSL) activities, hang out with my NUS friends, exploring SG, mugging like crazy for exams and staking out in my room rushing through assignments. Life can be both fun and stressful depending on how you manage it.

Last edited by Li Shan Shung; 26-02-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Li Shan Shung is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#77 Old 27-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

@Li Shan Shung: oh.. yeah, among all the business course, i like business administration better actually.. so 3.67 can try applying it eh? i might give it a shot then

@lordfoong: i thought the essay is optional? btw, does writing the essay enhance the chance of getting in?
Li Shan Shung Male

#78 Old 27-02-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfoong View Post
Quote:
@Li Shan Shung: oh.. yeah, among all the business course, i like business administration better actually.. so 3.67 can try applying it eh? i might give it a shot then

@lordfoong: i thought the essay is optional? btw, does writing the essay enhance the chance of getting in?
@Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya
Give it your best shot. All the best to you. =)

I didn't even write the essay at all in my application last year. I think it only matters if you are going for the competitive courses. This is where you have to stand out from the other candidates by writing about your achievements, talents, contributions, etc. It won't hurt your chances if you write.
Hoi-Ya-Ee-Ya Male
Less Junior Member

#79 Old 04-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Sorry , a bit off topic here.

this is from http://app.scp.gov.sg/

it says:
Applications must be endorsed and submitted by their respective ASEAN Governments. The relevant agencies to endorse the application are:

Malaysia
- Public Service Department, Training Division OR Respective schools of the applicants

1)Endorse means certify?
2)Is certified by the the school okay too?
edge_seraph Male
Super Junior Member

#80 Old 04-03-2011 Default Re: All About Admission Into NUS (2011/2012 Cohort)

Hey there, I got mine certified and endorsed by my principal just today. So, I think it's okay to do that since it is stated there that the school of applicants are considered as the relevant agencies. Hope this helps.
edge_seraph is offline   Reply With Quote