ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Scholarships (JPA,Petronas,MARA, Telekom,Tenaga,BNM,...) FAQ

Closed Thread

chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#11 Old 03-01-2004 Default

Quote:
1. Is there a US policy which allows international students to work in US for a year after they graduated?
Yes, if I am not wrong, it is called Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows you to work for a year in your field of studies .

Quote:
2. I reckon that the Government would want more Science or Technical (ie. Engineering, Computer Science) students, therefore are there less allocation for Arts (ie. Economics) students? Is there any quota of this sort?
Basically there is no quota, but government tends to have more scholarships in engineering, computer science, biotech, medicine, pharmacy.

Quote:
3. Am I guaranteed a US university once I am granted a JPA US scholarship? Will my scholarship be retracted if I do badly in the ADFP? Are we given the liberty to choose the universities that we want? I understand that different universities have different school fees and that our Government have a rather tight budget - so the Gov might prefer us to go to a cheaper university. Naturally, I will want to apply to the Ivy League, but if I fail to get into any one of them, am I still assigned to another university? I notice that many fellow JPA students are in Carnagie Mellon, is there any special correlation within the JPA and CMU? If not, why did they choose to go to CMU?
You are not guaranteed a US university. For JPA Scholarship, you will be most likely placed at Intec, UiTM. Your scholarship is only guaranteed if you got a place in the university allowed by JPA for your major. Typically JPA have a list of universities, which is top 10 for each particular major. Doing badly in ADFP is not too big a deal, but that would affect your university application, especially if it is the first semester and if you fail to get a uni within the JPA list, you could be in deep water. But don't worry too much, you will be fine.

You have the liberty to choose the university, but it must be within the list of JPA. The universities in the list change slightly every year. For instance, Electrical Engineering for my batch, the universites approved are MIT, Stanford, Cornell, Princeton, Columbia, CMU, Illinois, Michigan, USC and Purdue. So, if you get one of these unis, you are fine.

There is NO such case that government would prefer you go to cheaper university. It is always government's aspiration and hope that you try your best to enter the best possible universities, based on your capabilities.

You are not assigned a university. Typically JPA will pay for your application fee for 3-4 universities, depending on your performance at ADFP program. Some students choose to apply for more universities on their own. There are placement coordinator at UiTM who would advise you to apply which universities that you should apply, but final decision lies on you. If you have performed well, they would advise you to apply for better universities. So, you have to be realistic when you apply. Typically you will apply universities, based on 3 categories: aspirations(which is the universities that you really hope to achieve, and you have a realistic, but small chances of getting in), good chances(these universities are those that you have pretty high chance of getting in, say 60-80% chances), safety nets(for these unis, you have almost 90-99% chances of getting in).

So, depending on your capabilites, your list will be different from other students. If you want to try and apply for more universities, feel free to do so, but JPA will only pay for those 3-4 unis that you have selected together with your placement coordinator in UiTM.

JPA students doing ADFP have gained admission/enrolled in almost, if not all, top universities in the world, may be the only one not yet achieved is Caltech.

I think the number of JPA scholars at CMU is not large compared to many other universities in US, like Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, USC, Purdue, RPI etc. On why those students choose to go to CMU? I would let those who are studying in CMU, or have studied there to let you know, but CMU's computer science and computer engineering is among the top 3 in the world, if not top 2. Jiin Joo, Hui Lin, Sue Yi etc will be able to tell you more.

Quote:
4. What do most JPA students do from the time they got their SPM results till the start of ADFP (which is in August)? Study A-level? Form 6? Or local colleges?
The start of ADFP is typically in May/June, unless you are like me, getting in as 3rd intake in August. On what they do after they get their SPM results, it depends. Some may be studying in local colleges, some in UTM (it used to accept SPM leavers), private universities, ASEAN Scholarships in Singapore, Form 6 etc. It is up to you. It won't make much difference. To choose where to study, just imagine that if you do not get JPA scholarship, where you hope to study, then go there and study.

Feel free to bombard us with more questions.
mrkikilala
Super Junior Member

#12 Old 03-01-2004 Default

Quote:
you could be in deep water
could you clarify on this? What happens to a student who fails to gain admission?
silverblue

#13 Old 04-01-2004 Default

It is very rare that a student will fail to gain admission in all the 3 or 4 University applications, because like what Chen Chow said, all of us are required to apply to at least ONE 'safety net', which means a University that will almost definitely accept you (meaning you've met their minimum requirements). However, for the very few who are unlucky and fail to gain admittance in even their safety net unis, not to worry, cos JPA will still help you out. JPA has very good relations/affiliations with some of the US universities and sometimes, they can talk to the admittance officers and persuade them to accept you (this usually applies to safety net unis only). But anyway, my advise is don't think so much about failing but concentrate more on getting good results and writing a good application to the Unis. I am sure you can do it if you really want to!
nad067
Super Junior Member

#14 Old 04-01-2004 Default Studying in Ukraine

GEN_UKR:

Generally it's easy to pursue medical degree in Ukraine. The only catch is that you need to use your own money for the first year, and the next year you need to apply for GENERAL SCHOLARSHIP be it mara or jpa. These boars tend to sponsor because the cost of study here is cheap, for the whole six years it's only 120 thou, including food and hostel, provided you don't splurge much on luxurius items. Fees is about 3000USD per year.

Another catch is that you have to go through agents, and these agents CHEAT. They will charge you extravagantly to pursue medical degree in Ukraine.

If anyone is interested do contact me at [email address] for more information. I can recommend good agent which take minimal fees.
chenchow
ReComer
Administrator

#15 Old 04-01-2004 Default

Thanks a lot nad067 on the information in Ukraine.

I would like to add on that by saying that JPA does have scholarship directly from SPM to Ukraine as well.

I think among the JPA program to various countries, the information on the JPA scholarship to Australia, New Zealand, France, Korea has not been touched much on, so may be we could have someone who is under those program, or those who are familiar to share.

Among the things you could mention briefly include, how long is the program, what preparation program you did, which uni/college are you expected to be sent to etc.
mrkikilala
Super Junior Member

#16 Old 04-01-2004 Default

Quote:
JPA students doing ADFP have gained admission/enrolled in almost, if not all, top universities in the world, may be the only one not yet achieved is Caltech.
Anyone admited 2 UC Berkeley b4 from ATU?
chenchow
ReComer
Administrator

#17 Old 04-01-2004 Default

If I am not wrong, there were 2 JPA scholars who awee under ATU program in Sunway College got into Berkeley, but their program includes A Level. They were SPM 1998 batch. Yeah, I think I should include UC Berkeley and UCLA in that list of exclusion. The main reason being those UC colleges require A Level.
Robyn
Super Junior Member

#18 Old 04-01-2004 Default

What is ATU?
chenchow
ReComer
Administrator

#19 Old 04-01-2004 Default

ATU is the American Top University Program. That's the name they call it.
chenchow
ReComer
Administrator

#20 Old 04-01-2004 Default

JPA_GER:

This is a question by annasmg:

hi.anybody here studying ing germany.just wanna ur comment abt studying thr.hows is it.good?though?especi ally in the uni of applied science or fh.tq.
Closed Thread