ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Scholarships (JPA,Petronas,MARA, Telekom,Tenaga,BNM,...) FAQ

Closed Thread

chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#41 Old 02-03-2004 Default

Thanks Shian Ling for the information.

Since most SPM leavers will be looking for scholarships, and JPA scholarships deadline is due in a few days, I hope that those who have any advice on which course, which country to choose could shed some lights here. May be you guys could share with those who would be applying on roughly how many people JPA selected for each course and each country that you know...

To fellow ReCom members, hope that you can spread the news to those F5 leavers about their prospect of asking questions to fellow ReCom members.

To those SPM leavers, please feel free to post your questions here.

Questions are for any scholarship/loan information, so it is not only restricted to JPA.
carol
Super Junior Member

#42 Old 02-03-2004 Default help?

hie. i really need help on getting a scholarship. preferably to the UK. However, i'm totally clueless on how to. HELP!
carol
Super Junior Member

#43 Old 02-03-2004 Default help?

hie. i really need help on getting a scholarship. preferably to the UK. However, i'm totally clueless on how to. HELP!
budakkerek Female
UndercoverKitty

#44 Old 02-03-2004 Default

MOE(Ministry of Education), UK,NZ,AUS:

Hey ppl.
I'm currently under this twinning prog, sponsored by the MOE (is that a GEN, chenchow?)

It's a TESL (Teaching English as a 2nd Language) prog, and for those interested in becoming english majors or future English Language educators, this is the one prog for you. I don't know about the situation now, but when i was applying for Univs, i found it was kinda difficult to get a scholar for TESL. this one pun, thanks to my mum,i found out bout it.

Ok. The prog is kinda like this:

It's split into 2, local n overseas prog.

You hv to go thru a test, Ujian Sahsiah Keguruan (to see whether you're a suitable candidate. Then, hv to go thru an interview. you'll be channeled accordingly, (depends on your SPM, the Ujian Sahsiah ... interview results) to either prog (local/overseas).

Then, 1 and a 1/2 years in the foundation prog, in a teacher training college (TTC) [i think, most probably the one i'm staying now, if you got the twinning prog. if not, then in other mktb perguruans in Msia]. One major exam at the end of the foundation prog, then you're off to the first year.

At the start of Year 1, you'll be placed in either one of the 5 univs:
St. Mark n St John College (UK), Victoria University of Wellington (NZ, Univ of Auckland(NZ), Queensland University of Technology (AUS) and Macquarie University(AUS).

One more year in Msia, then you're off to the overseas Univ for 2 years - your 2nd n 3rd year. Then, final year come back to Msia for the practicum etc.
You'll grad here but the degree'll be given/endorsed by the foreign Univ which you go to for your 2nd n 3rd year (like, me..i'm going to Queensland. So my degree'll be given by QUT..those going to UK will get a degree from the Univ in UK).

So..that's it.

perks?
You'll get monthly allowance, accomodation etc tak pyh risau..coz college policy - students must live in the college hostels. Plus, this place's real near UM, good transportation (buses, PUTRA etc) very easy.

Jaa...Oh ya...almost forgot...Upon graduating, hv to work with MOE for 3-4 years...but after that, if you wanna cabut, work somewhere else, it's up to you.

Anyway, if you're interested in TESl, then this is the one for you. I didn't wanna take up this course at first, but thanks to my mum, found it to be quite an eye-opener. Since this teahcer training college's an international one (e.g we hv foreigners coming in n out, loads courses are held here, we had this MASSIVE international conference last year), it's quite a good experience. Plus, you get to learn French/Japanese language coz it's the college policy - the students hv to take up at least one foreign language.

Gimme a holler if you guys wanna know anything. Hope i've been of help.

"Bear this pain we will until united finally we become." - KJPoyer, 2008.
budakkerek Female
UndercoverKitty

#45 Old 02-03-2004 Default

MOE(Ministry of Education), UK,NZ,AUS:

Hey ppl.
I'm currently under this twinning prog, sponsored by the MOE (is that a GEN, chenchow?)

It's a TESL (Teaching English as a 2nd Language) prog, and for those interested in becoming english majors or future English Language educators, this is the one prog for you. I don't know about the situation now, but when i was applying for Univs, i found it was kinda difficult to get a scholar for TESL. this one pun, thanks to my mum,i found out bout it.

Ok. The prog is kinda like this:

It's split into 2, local n overseas prog.

You hv to go thru a test, Ujian Sahsiah Keguruan (to see whether you're a suitable candidate. Then, hv to go thru an interview. you'll be channeled accordingly, (depends on your SPM, the Ujian Sahsiah ... interview results) to either prog (local/overseas).

Then, 1 and a 1/2 years in the foundation prog, in a teacher training college (TTC) [i think, most probably the one i'm staying now, if you got the twinning prog. if not, then in other mktb perguruans in Msia]. One major exam at the end of the foundation prog, then you're off to the first year.

At the start of Year 1, you'll be placed in either one of the 5 univs:
St. Mark n St John College (UK), Victoria University of Wellington (NZ, Univ of Auckland(NZ), Queensland University of Technology (AUS) and Macquarie University(AUS).

One more year in Msia, then you're off to the overseas Univ for 2 years - your 2nd n 3rd year. Then, final year come back to Msia for the practicum etc.
You'll grad here but the degree'll be given/endorsed by the foreign Univ which you go to for your 2nd n 3rd year (like, me..i'm going to Queensland. So my degree'll be given by QUT..those going to UK will get a degree from the Univ in UK).

So..that's it.

perks?
You'll get monthly allowance, accomodation etc tak pyh risau..coz college policy - students must live in the college hostels. Plus, this place's real near UM, good transportation (buses, PUTRA etc) very easy.

Jaa...Oh ya...almost forgot...Upon graduating, hv to work with MOE for 3-4 years...but after that, if you wanna cabut, work somewhere else, it's up to you.

Anyway, if you're interested in TESl, then this is the one for you. I didn't wanna take up this course at first, but thanks to my mum, found it to be quite an eye-opener. Since this teahcer training college's an international one (e.g we hv foreigners coming in n out, loads courses are held here, we had this MASSIVE international conference last year), it's quite a good experience. Plus, you get to learn French/Japanese language coz it's the college policy - the students hv to take up at least one foreign language.

Gimme a holler if you guys wanna know anything. Hope i've been of help.

"Bear this pain we will until united finally we become." - KJPoyer, 2008.
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#46 Old 02-03-2004 Default

Carol, mind tell a bit more about you? Are you after SPM? STPM? A Level? What course you plan to study ? etc..
chenchow Male
ReComer
Administrator

#47 Old 02-03-2004 Default

Carol, mind tell a bit more about you? Are you after SPM? STPM? A Level? What course you plan to study ? etc..

#48 Old 03-03-2004 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shian_Ling_the_Duchess
but US is not bad too...although to be honest, there are not too many top u's offering biotech...most universities offer biotech as masters degree/above..

a few schools ATU 9 people have attended/applied for biotech program include UC San Diego, Penn State, SUNY Buffalo.....dont think there are many more...
While I'm not an expert in biotech, I am pretty certain that a good grounding in molecular biology is required in any biotech area.
And universities like Harvard, MIT, Stanford and Berkeley have Nobel-prize winning (or equivalently brilliant) professors in these areas.

#49 Old 03-03-2004 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shian_Ling_the_Duchess
but US is not bad too...although to be honest, there are not too many top u's offering biotech...most universities offer biotech as masters degree/above..

a few schools ATU 9 people have attended/applied for biotech program include UC San Diego, Penn State, SUNY Buffalo.....dont think there are many more...
While I'm not an expert in biotech, I am pretty certain that a good grounding in molecular biology is required in any biotech area.
And universities like Harvard, MIT, Stanford and Berkeley have Nobel-prize winning (or equivalently brilliant) professors in these areas.

miraclesnfantasy
Super Junior Member

#50 Old 04-03-2004 Default

something to add to budakkerek post...there's been a rumour circulating in our college that our juniors who'll be coming in june will be the last TESL batch that'll be sent overseas...so hope those interested in this course fill up the form quick....and hope that you guys are not stereotyped into thinking that TESL grad will only end up becoming teachers. it just a stepping stone towards other fields
Closed Thread