ReCom.org
Pre-U/ Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Post your questions on these topics ONLY

Engineers Salaries

galfera
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 11-05-2008 Talking Engineers Salaries

Hey,

I'm still student, havent even gt myself admitted to uni yet. hehe. jz waiting for the replies from those unis. jz wondering what are the starting salaries for these companies for engineers;

TNB?
Petronas?
Telekom?
ExxonMobil?
Shell?
General Electric?

Hopefully anyone with experience or knowledge regarding this matter will share it with me.
galfera is offline   Reply With Quote
Caprio

#2 Old 11-05-2008 Default

Other than which company you work for, which type of engineering you work as is crucial to determine what is the starting pay.

Generally, for those engineers who work in oil and gas companies like Petronas, Shell, ExxonMobil and so on have a higher starting pay comparatively.

Of all those companies you mentioned, the one which I can only provide details is Petronas. The starting pay for a petroleum engineer working in Petronas is about RM5000. Last year, the company gave out 3 months bonus to its employee! Can you just imagine how nice is that?!!!

By the way, I think it is important to choose a profession according to our passion and interest instead of the salary.
Caprio is offline   Reply With Quote
galfera
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 11-05-2008 Default

owh, i'm an electrical engineer to be. so for petronas their salary is 5000. omg... wow thats a lot. is there any demand for EE in petronas?
galfera is offline   Reply With Quote
weich
Anchors

#4 Old 14-05-2008 Default

i was offered about rm4k in Shell, about 1.5 years ago, based in Miri. Pipeline engineer position.
weich is offline   Reply With Quote
krwon
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Hi..my advice to you is you better aim to study and get a good result in Univ instead of thinking of the salaries after you graduated...

And since there are a lot of engineering graduates nowadays, you're lucky if you were to get a job in the first place...You can never predict the future..example during my time, we graduated from overseas and when we came back, we were expecting a high salary ..unfortunately during that time it was so hard to get a job....

so the government offered us as management trainee...and you know how much we get paid? RM500 only...but we were very happy that time since its better than nothing....
So, wtevr salary you get, you should be thankful.....
krwon is offline   Reply With Quote
leinad
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwon View Post
Hi..my advice to you is you better aim to study and get a good result in Univ instead of thinking of the salaries after you graduated...

And since there are a lot of engineering graduates nowadays, you're lucky if you were to get a job in the first place...You can never predict the future..example during my time, we graduated from overseas and when we came back, we were expecting a high salary ..unfortunately during that time it was so hard to get a job....
and this is why work bond is actually a blessing.
woots petronas 5k??

this thread reminded me of one guy in educamp who asked the petronas officer wheter can bring his wife with him when go overseas or go oilrig.

selling 2nd hand A level books (Original and Photostat) Check out the market forum
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
skyrainbow Female
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 19-05-2008 Default

many engineers is jobless now, as the number of fresh engineerering graduate increases every year. the old, experienced one, especially those who are freelance worker find it hard 2 get a job.

engineers can earn big bucks ~20k per month, only if they r project managers. n big bosses of engineering companies that own contracts can earn millions for each succesful contract.

engineering is a field where leadership qualities matters more than the qualifications. i have an uncle who is an engineer/ supervisor, who earns few thousands, even without a qualification. the other engineers r jobless now, even tough they have the paper.

n being engineers is not easy. a very fair person can become very dark after becoming an engineer, as most of them have 2 work under the sun.
skyrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Xon
lazy bunny
Administrator

#8 Old 19-05-2008 Default

Talking about engineering,there are lotsa specialize areas in it. the term "engineering" is very wide. Like optoelectronics engineering,its kinda rare in malaysia. and lotsa lotsa engineering......

of course,everything is hard from the beginnings. and for sure,one day,there will be more and more advanced computers to replace manpowers.

IMHO,salaries doesnt mean much,personal skills speak for a salary. you got the skills you earn more. (^.^) this applies to all.

Federation of Malaysia is formed by Sarawak, North Borneo, Malaya (and Singapore) by 16 Sept 1963. It has nothing to do with 31 Aug 1957. Just saying.
Xon is offline   Reply With Quote
tomatoinc Male
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 25-06-2008 Default

dream on about working in petronas...and earning 5k. try to secure their scholarship first, then consider working with them. it's really competitive, and they certainly give preferences to their sponsored-students.

engineer salary is always of a wide range, and increases mostly with experience. For graduates, it ranges mostly from rm1200 (crappy 3rd class graduate in a cold field working in kuching) to rm5000-6000 (top first class graduate with good communication skill/attitude, working with multinational (oil & gas in particular for recent years) and travel a lot (middle east etc).

With that said, engineering is an area where the capable ones will ALWAYS get a job and the uncapable ones always LOSE them eventually. Technical engineers are something constantly in demand, but nevertheless, any lack of skills/knowledge will be obvious after a short period. so, after your first year, your wage growth is mostly proportional to how much u know and how much you can do.
tomatoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomatoinc For This Useful Post:
vikraman Male
Slightly Senior Member

#10 Old 25-06-2008 Default

Newest article available in the sun and the star today about salaries across major fields of work. Engineer's salary up 30% i read. Best Pay in Oil & Gas and Plantations (Palm Oil) Sector. Read for yourself for more details.
vikraman is offline   Reply With Quote