ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education > Scholarships

Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

Obligatory Pep Talk and General Advice with regards to Scholarship Rejections

nyx_aerin Female
Super Junior Member

#61 Old 13-05-2013 Default Re: Obligatory Pep Talk and General Advice with regards to Scholarship Rejections

I am a 2012 SPM leaver and am currently in the limbo of being fortunate enough to get a couple of interviews but waiting for results of said interviews. That being said, I went into those interviews and did the best I could, although quite honestly I doubt that I can get any of them. But better to fail trying than to try failing (if that makes any sense to you!)

While I'm not really all that gung-ho about getting scholarships, for me it really is almost the ONLY way I can get into university. My family is not able to shell out the requisite 30-50k (rough estimate) for a local degree. I know there are cheaper degrees out there but I'm not interested in pursuing something just because 'it's cheap' and especially not if I'm not interested in it. Ditto for diplomas. Even partial scholarships or loans are a bit of a stretch. And seeing that there is a rising trend of unemployment among graduates, I am wary of taking loans, especially like PTPTN. I'm also worried that I won't be able to get a job even if I'm able to study what I want (medicine) because we have so many medicine graduates now.

The thing is that I really don't want to be a burden to my parents because if possible, I'd like them to save the money for my siblings. If it were possible I'd work to pay for my education. (I did work, by the way, but it isn't nearly enough to pay, not by a long shot.)

But whatever the case, I'm prepared to accept whatever the outcome of my scholarship applications. I'm determined not to allow any rejections to pull me down and depress me, or to prevent me from trying again. I'll give it all I've got, and if it doesn't work out, then I'll find another way. What I'd really love is to study in a university in the UK, in a renowned university like Oxford and Cambridge- and I don't care what anyone says, I'll strive for that. Even if in the end it doesn't work out, which I think is a possibility I have to consider, but I'll have no regrets. That's what I'm sure of.
nyx_aerin is offline   Reply With Quote