ReCom.org
Scholarships A place to find out about scholarships available for Malaysians

MARA scholarship PILN

matsaman94 Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 30-05-2012 Default MARA scholarship PILN

So yesterday the results of MARA PILN came out. so who got it and where u guys applied? please share here i got medic uk and pre-u is IB in KMB.
i just entered UM on sunday and nw im out! 3 days only it was fun but the seniors were quite rough on us. hopefully orientation in kmb will be better insyaAllah and from what i heard not many people got the scholarship. from my group i am the only guy. all of actually got UM together but only i got MARA. Sorry guys from my floor kat UM kolej kediaman only 2 orang ja dapat. me and my room mate from kelantan. my kawan pun yg dapat 8A+ and 1A- xdapat. any1 got info on why this is happening?? please share any info u guys have here
matsaman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
AmirPalermo Male
Super Junior Member

#2 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

HEYAAA AWESOME PEOPLE!!!

Alhamdulillah, PILN Medicine UK! KMB all the way of course!

I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking:-
1) How does their convertible loan/scholarship work like?
2) Is it true that there's no bond?
3) If it is a loan, how much of a percentage do I have to pay back?
4) I got 10A+ for my SPM and I'm also eligible to take up KPM Bursary @ Taylor's Subang. I'm worried about the bursary because of the bond imposed (i dont want to be bonded for 10 years) and I'm also worried if I cannot get into the top 10 universities in the world. Should i withdraw from bursary of just continue with MARA?
5) Should I take up Business SL, Economics SL, or ITGS SL?
6) I'm not that keen in studying literature, so I'm worried about English HL. Can i drop English Hl to English SL, but take Maths HL insteadd of Maths SL?
7) WHEN WILL I STOP ASKING QUESTIONS?!?!?!??!?!?

Thanks lah !
AmirPalermo is offline   Reply With Quote
amaar943 Female
Super Junior Member

#3 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsaman94 View Post
So yesterday the results of MARA PILN came out. so who got it and where u guys applied? please share here i got medic uk and pre-u is IB in KMB.
i just entered UM on sunday and nw im out! 3 days only it was fun but the seniors were quite rough on us. hopefully orientation in kmb will be better insyaAllah and from what i heard not many people got the scholarship. from my group i am the only guy. all of actually got UM together but only i got MARA. Sorry guys from my floor kat UM kolej kediaman only 2 orang ja dapat. me and my room mate from kelantan. my kawan pun yg dapat 8A+ and 1A- xdapat. any1 got info on why this is happening?? please share any info u guys have here

hi, congrats! i know someone who got 8 A+, and me myself got 7 A+, both of us didn't get it. however 4 of my friends got the loan though, and everyone's asking me where did i get. sort of an awkward moment there, hahah.

well maybe they choose 1 person per group? if so then i knew i didn't stand a high chance because all of my interview groupmates were awesome. we tried our best :') i just want to know the situation now though, and the reasons why i didn't get it.
amaar943 is offline   Reply With Quote
matsaman94 Male
Super Junior Member

#4 Old 31-05-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaar943 View Post
hi, congrats! i know someone who got 8 A+, and me myself got 7 A+, both of us didn't get it. however 4 of my friends got the loan though, and everyone's asking me where did i get. sort of an awkward moment there, hahah.

well maybe they choose 1 person per group? if so then i knew i didn't stand a high chance because all of my interview groupmates were awesome. we tried our best :') i just want to know the situation now though, and the reasons why i didn't get it.
hey! were u in UM as well? coz i met sum1 nama ammar gak.. LOL
okay, umm u see i just found out that my classmate yg dapat 3A+ got medic in ireland.. so it seems the As dont count much in mara's case.. its either down to the interview, or its just random.. OR MAYBE BOTH?? but really sad tu hear u didnt get it.. i also heard that in Kolej mara banting there are only 180 students under the ireland and uk program.. dont know if its true or not though.. and i also heard that something like 10% of those hu were called for the interview only got the sponsorship.. again, i dont know how far this is true or not.. if any1 else has any info regardless if its just a rumour or anything please share!! TQ!!
amaar943 Female
Super Junior Member

#5 Old 31-05-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

um no, actually i'm going to asasi uitm this sunday. and actually amaar isn't really my name hm my friends and family are surprised to know that i didn't get it too, it's sad to think i've spent my entire left working on exams and koko just to be qualified to study abroad. and i don't think i sucked at the interview, maybe there were people a lot better than me. only 10%?! if that's the case than no wonder laa. but i heard it's 2000 out of 4000, supposedly. donno la.

well in my case, i actually have a 'cable'. but i didn't use it (padan muka). she called mara asking about me and they said it was because i already accepted asasi uitm. but it's absurd since my friends also got matriks and upu and still got mara. however a friend of mine, she waited until after the interview to accept upu, and she got it. while i accepted the offer straightaway. donno if it makes sense or not.
matsaman94 Male
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 31-05-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaar943 View Post
um no, actually i'm going to asasi uitm this sunday. and actually amaar isn't really my name hm my friends and family are surprised to know that i didn't get it too, it's sad to think i've spent my entire left working on exams and koko just to be qualified to study abroad. and i don't think i sucked at the interview, maybe there were people a lot better than me. only 10%?! if that's the case than no wonder laa. but i heard it's 2000 out of 4000, supposedly. donno la.

well in my case, i actually have a 'cable'. but i didn't use it (padan muka). she called mara asking about me and they said it was because i already accepted asasi uitm. but it's absurd since my friends also got matriks and upu and still got mara. however a friend of mine, she waited until after the interview to accept upu, and she got it. while i accepted the offer straightaway. donno if it makes sense or not.
ohhh... actually, i dont think accepting upu first makes any difference.. i accepted upu on the day the results were out and i still got mara sponsorship. so u cant say that accepting upu caused u the sponsorship. even results pun as i said, dont play much of a role.. previously pun i said my friend dapat 3A+ pun dapat medic ireland.. and another friend 5A+ (i think) dapat medic mesir.. i think u better appeal nanti 1st june.. coz there still is a chance u might be successfull in ur appeal. about the number of students that got it, im not sure about anything i said.. most of what i heard are all rumours and i heard them from my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirPalermo View Post
HEYAAA AWESOME PEOPLE!!!

4) I got 10A+ for my SPM and I'm also eligible to take up KPM Bursary @ Taylor's Subang. I'm worried about the bursary because of the bond imposed (i dont want to be bonded for 10 years) and I'm also worried if I cannot get into the top 10 universities in the world. Should i withdraw from bursary of just continue with MARA?
6) I'm not that keen in studying literature, so I'm worried about English HL. Can i drop English Hl to English SL, but take Maths HL insteadd of Maths SL?

Thanks lah !
hey dude... lol so many questions! haha.. i'll try to answer as best i can and if any1 can correct me if im wrong or add additional info it would be much appreciated
ok, so here goes!
1) the scholarship depends or our results.. so if we do well, then the amount we have to pay back to mara would be less.. thats from what i understand..
2) from what i know, it will be in the perjanjian that we will get soon.. so i cant answer that now.. sorry..
3) uhhhh, my sister said it can be as little as 1%??
4) if u ask me, i would say just take up mara offer.. bcoz the chance of u getting overseas would be higher.. but you have to do IB at KMB lah.. if the bursary u do what program ahh? A-levels?
5,6,7) sorry! i dont know

please correct me if im wrong or add anymore helpfull info

Last edited by matsaman94; 31-05-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
kaze
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 01-06-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
1) You signed a contract, you get money from MARA, you fulfill your duty as a student, and hopefully graduated. Normally, if you graduated with CGPA 3.5 and above, congratulations, it's a scholarship, you don't have to pay back. If below 3.5, you'll pay them back 5% or more depending on your results. Since it's a convertible loan, there's really no guarantee of what amount you'll have to pay at the end and there's also no guarantee that 3.5 is the cutting point.

2) No bond. When you graduated, they'll just ask you to report to them and then you'll wait for the verdict - to pay or don't have to pay back.

3) Answered in 1.

4) I've heard about the bursary. Correct me if I'm wrong. The bursary requires you to spend ~2 years on A-level, then apply to foreign universities approved by them, and hopefully you'll be admitted, and only then you can get a scholarship to study abroad right? If this is the case, how high do you think is your chance to actually be admitted to a foreign university? What happens if you didn't get admitted?

5,6,7 ... have no idea.
Super Junior Member

#8 Old 01-06-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
HEYAAA AWESOME PEOPLE!!!

Thanks lah !
Salam, my juniOr to be~
5) well, it doesn't matter which one should u choose.. i'm taking itgs and i think it's good for someone that already has some basics bout it.. but then, itgs is not computer science. it's only touch the surface of IT, u're not going to learn bout java c++ n so on.. for econs, if i'm not mistaken u need to read a lot bcoz u'll need to write an analysis for graph, compare the loss, gain n bla3.. for bms, it's more bout business, market,management n bla3..

mybe u can go through the syllabus first;
* itgs
* Econs
* bms

6) English HL is not bout the literature.. and for ur info, there is no literature question in HL or SL.. i think u better think twice..err.. more then twice if u wanna take Math HL.. Math HL is not like our SPM add math..hoho
(i'm taking Math HL..)

anyway~ welcome to KMB..
intan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
fierul88 Male
Super Junior Member

#9 Old 01-06-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
Originally Posted by intan7 View Post
Salam, my juniOr to be~
5) well, it doesn't matter which one should u choose.. i'm taking itgs and i think it's good for someone that already has some basics bout it.. but then, itgs is not computer science. it's only touch the surface of IT, u're not going to learn bout java c++ n so on.. for econs, if i'm not mistaken u need to read a lot bcoz u'll need to write an analysis for graph, compare the loss, gain n bla3.. for bms, it's more bout business, market,management n bla3..

mybe u can go through the syllabus first;
* itgs
* Econs
* bms

6) English HL is not bout the literature.. and for ur info, there is no literature question in HL or SL.. i think u better think twice..err.. more then twice if u wanna take Math HL.. Math HL is not like our SPM add math..hoho
(i'm taking Math HL..)

anyway~ welcome to KMB..
Im also blur how does MARA do the selection. If they only want 9A students in the 1st place why they also called students that who lower than 9A come for interview. They should reject them and only call 9A students for interview. Even in their criteria was not mentioned. As long u meet and fulfill their subjects requirement is eligible to apply already.

Really pity to all my friends who is before this very well prepared and at last result is like this.
fierul88 is offline   Reply With Quote
amaar943 Female
Super Junior Member

#10 Old 01-06-2012 Default Re: MARA scholarship PILN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierul88 View Post
Im also blur how does MARA do the selection. If they only want 9A students in the 1st place why they also called students that who lower than 9A come for interview. They should reject them and only call 9A students for interview. Even in their criteria was not mentioned. As long u meet and fulfill their subjects requirement is eligible to apply already.

Really pity to all my friends who is before this very well prepared and at last result is like this.
i got 10 A's and didn't get it some of my friends who got straight A's as didn't get it as well. maybe it all depends on the interview, but that's not fair since they asked us to do the essay and bring certs and everything. i even brought my resume and recommendation letter. and i didn't really suck at the interview either. maybe it's just not my luck this time.

can't help feeling that everything goes to waste because i worked for this since i was in primary school. lol. hopefully it's a blessing in disguise, we'll never know until the blessing is between the eyes