ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > ReCom Chat Forum

ReCom Chat Forum This is where you chat! As per new policy, all social messages e.g. "hey are you the cute guy sitting next to me in interview yesterday" MUST be posted here.

Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Closed Thread

barley
Super Junior Member

#11 Old 21-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

What is this ? can win prizes by dialing *128# to win prizes? Is that a contest or what ? If can WIN PRIZES DAILY, then I wanna try, and see, cuz those u listed, some are my target tho. if i won, i really feel satisfied dy..
henry_yew Male
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#12 Old 22-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele123 View Post
maybe you guys been overseas too long...
Really? I've just been overseas for a year, and that's too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele123 View Post
Assume say cost of dinner per table is RM 700 (btw, not an unreasonable price for typical chinese restaurant, can be higher in KL area). Assume say 50 tables for that particular dinner... That's RM35k... On the extreme that nobody gives angpow... you want the newly wedded couple to 'eat' that RM35k? That's excluding other major expenses, alcohol, rental of wedding dress, make up, studio photos.

don't give me crap reasons that one need not spend on alcohol, makeup, studio photos. it's a social event, so you need to please others by providing 'alcohol'.

it's one thing to be nice to one's guest, it's another to bare all the cost yourself.

having said that, i dislike the practice, but i think i like my money more than i dislike the practice.

not that i have ever organised one, but really... money is a problem... at least cause not everybody's dad is filthy rich

Of course, one can do it differently, not on such a scale but the example Iíve given, should not be very far from the average practice

Donít get the wrong idea about me, itís not that Iím suggesting that one should only look at is the money side of it, but it is a very important side of most peopleís life

opinion from an observer of wedding dinners...
Well, here's the thing. It's a wedding dinner to celebrate whose wedding? The wedded couple's, right? So, shouldn't all the arrangements be to please the wedded couple instead of the people?

Say if I'm going to get married, and I'm going to host a wedding dinner. Is it that outrageous if I say, "I'm treating you to my wedding dinner, just come and join me in the auspicious event" and I say explicitly that there is no need for angpow money? I am treating, after all. Yes, if that's the case, I do expect to bear the whole cost of the dinner myself. And yes, if I'm going to bear the cost, I should be prepared financially.

And if I'm treating, can't I have a say on whether I want alcohol on the table or not? I could choose, out of respect for possibly Muslim friends attending my dinner, to hold my dinner in a halal restaurant and opt not to have any alcohol served. It's my dinner, isn't it?

And if I'm going to be even more "unorthodox", I don't have to hold my dinner in a Chinese restaurant. I could opt to have a banquet in, say, Marriott Hotel and serve a very grand buffet, or to have a full-course Western-style dinner. It's up to me and my wife-to-be (not that I have one), isn't it? After all, it is supposed to be about me and my wife-to-be.

Is that really outrageous? Is that really crap? No, because at the end of the day, we ought to be happy doing what we have done, and that's all that matters.
adele123 Female

#13 Old 24-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

oops, i saw a typo......

sure, do whatever you want, still gonna cost a lot in some grand ballroom

my main focus is still the $$. yes, you might be willing to bear the cost. others? can they? will they? Should they?
The Iron Boot
ReMag Writer
Forum Moderator

#14 Old 25-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

It's not a question of whether they will or they should. It ought to be a question of whether they want to.

If you can't afford to hold a wedding dinner at the first place, then you shouldn't even be so hasty to have one.

Typo? Where? I'm not a person to make spelling errors so easily.
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 25-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

hmm.. this looks like MLM lo.. i had join this before..yea u will get all this item after join it..but i will not go anymore
anna_tan89 Female
Super Junior Member

#16 Old 25-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Koixin87, What I'm talking about is from Xpax, not whatever MLM you are talking about! If you really want to win, you can always give it a try. They are giving away gadgets that are worth RM10000 everyday, so more people increase the chances. From what I know all you do is just pick a pack from talk, surf, text or fun. If you really give it a try, good luck!

Anyways, I do agree with henry yew with his opinions that if you don't have the money to hold a wedding, you shouldn't do it in the first place (or have one that is really expensive) to hope that the guests will pay for what they eat and probably more. For those who dont think they bear the cost, you seriously want others to pay for your wedding? since you are already at it, do you want your guests to pay for your house, car, and children education as well? The bride and groom has held the wedding to share their happiness with the guests they have invited, which makes them the one who pays for the tab. However, it has been a long time chinese tradition that guests gift the newly weds an angpao. The initial practice of this is merely to give blessings to them, and not to "pay" for what they eat.
kristylove Female
Super Junior Member

#17 Old 26-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

next time please provide full and right info for them la, otherwise they keep asking only.. must let them know how to win and where to win la.. so now for those who still wanna win the prizes, please come here.. http://xpax.com.my/whatchuwant_about.php
whit3fish
Super Junior Member

#18 Old 27-09-2012 Default Re: Is it wrong to ask for wedding gift ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barley View Post
Two weeks later, I will be getting married.. hahahaah anyway..need your opinions.. is it wrong to ask for wedding gift instead of the Angpau $$$ ? nowadays presents are better than money. agree? want to list down the items that I was dreaming for.. am i too ridiculous?
mod close this thread because TS is trolling https://www.google.com.my/search?q=I...w=1366&bih=596
Closed Thread