Bond to JPA

youngyew Male
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#21 Old 27-01-2009 Default Re: Bond to JPA

<Digression> Glassylicious is a law student? </Digression>

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenchow View Post
Looks like this discussion has been swayed towards the bond for medical students.
I guess it's because the original poster mentioned 10 year bond, which is only the case for medicine and dentistry.

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!

Last edited by youngyew; 27-01-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
nhling Male

#22 Old 29-01-2009 Default Re: Bond to JPA

Now that many has discussed about the critical field such as Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy.I like to ask about students studying Engineering who are/were JPA scholars before.

As I'm a PPC (Program Pelajar Cemerlang) student, currently doing Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering in Japan, I like to know about the how's the bonding like.

Indeed I'm bonded to gov for 5 yrs in the contract but so far I have heard there's limited vacancy for engineer in gov. Due to that, I'm doing my job hunting in Japan now. I'm considering using "recommendation" to get a job and with that method, there is an unspoken contract of working for the company for 3 yrs.

Here I like to ask if there is any PPC student who works in the public service department or who knows clearly about this bond. If you have this experience, pls tell me your way of solving it. Btw, what are the jobs available for mechanical engineers in gov?

Thanks in advance.
nhling is offline   Reply With Quote
Leen
Peacemaker
Administrator

#23 Old 13-02-2009 Default Re: Bond to JPA

I know someone who graduated in US with an engineering who is currently working in Silicon Valley earning more than USD7k a month. It is really easy for engineering student to just take a summer holiday after graduation, go back to Malaysia, report to JPA, go back to US/UK .. etc (with your job waiting of course) and work there and not worry about a thing after that. I might be overgeneralizing but I've seen several people who have done that.
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
gajan Male
Super Junior Member

#24 Old 13-02-2009 Default Re: Bond to JPA

well i think since u wanted the scholarship in the 1st place. U shld serve the bond. I mean if u want question tht it is not so comfortable to work in malaysia ...working condition not condusive ....pay not much ....etc. Then u Should not have applied and accepted the scholarship in the 1st place. JPA is goverment agency , they offered the scholarship coz they wanted the best minds under them. Plus , JPA scholarship is first and foremost a financial aid. It is not a reward to the best student in the country. It is part of the affirmative action for those needy and poor people to climb up the economic ranks. The point is the scholarship is a privililage and not ur right. BUT i understand if u like to serve a few years overseas ....before coming back. Tht way , u can earn much sort after working experiance. I feel tht JPA scholars shld work in workplace of their choice for the first 7 years to gain experiance. then they can intiate reforms and be more productive when they start to serve the government.

SAM at TAYLORS
gajan is offline   Reply With Quote
ianbyc Male
Super Junior Member

#25 Old 18-02-2009 Default Re: Bond to JPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajan View Post
well i think since u wanted the scholarship in the 1st place. U shld serve the bond. I mean if u want question tht it is not so comfortable to work in malaysia ...working condition not condusive ....pay not much ....etc. Then u Should not have applied and accepted the scholarship in the 1st place. JPA is goverment agency , they offered the scholarship coz they wanted the best minds under them. Plus , JPA scholarship is first and foremost a financial aid. It is not a reward to the best student in the country. It is part of the affirmative action for those needy and poor people to climb up the economic ranks. The point is the scholarship is a privililage and not ur right. BUT i understand if u like to serve a few years overseas ....before coming back. Tht way , u can earn much sort after working experiance. I feel tht JPA scholars shld work in workplace of their choice for the first 7 years to gain experiance. then they can intiate reforms and be more productive when they start to serve the government.
Well imho the question of SHOULD does not come into view.. it is the matter of MUST. I mean, nothing comes free on this world. You get scholarship, you serve government. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Plus I personally don't find the whining about poor working condition and low pay discouraging. From medicine point of view, those working in government hospitals might be working their a** off but they get a fair compensation for the work. H.O. (housemanship) averages around 4k already, that's right after graduation. You might argue its the highest among fresh graduates but take into factor the workload, senior abuse, rude patients, stress and such, its fair. Plus serving the public's interest should be what JPA scholars instill in themselves. Personally I find the prospect of being in the forefront of doing good and serving others exciting.

Visit my personal blog at www.ianbong.net
ianbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
bachok83 Male
Sleepin' G33k
Administrator

#26 Old 19-02-2009 Default Re: Bond to JPA

One cannot simply assume the worst in government hospitals. Government hospitals has come a long way. Doctors are not as busy as they were few years ago.

Trust me, it would be a heck a lot better to start with government hospitals where there arent many to sue your a** compared to doctors in the private sector.

As Jordin Sparks says, "one step at a time." If you can get some positions overseas, make sure it's not just for the money, you need to be in the forefront of the research.

One cannot simply assume that the grass is always greener on the other side until you've experienced both. Yes, you will have A LOT more spending power in the states for example, but you have to make a A LOT more to overcome taxes.

If you've been posted to say, Kedah (they have huge new hospital there), i would say you are damn lucky. A bungalow in Kedah is around 200K, while a small apartment in Penang would set you back at around 230K. Seriously, DO THE MATH.

I would say this though. I prefer to be in the states, because (seriously, i mean this) they have a lot of theme parks...

bachok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
runninghorse

#27 Old 17-03-2013 Default Re: Bond to JPA

Hasn't been back here for a loooong period of time.

Just wondering if JPA Scholarship still available for the coming years or has it been terminated?

My question is more pharmacy-specific: Has anyone or heard of anyone who successfully delay the bond for one year so that he/she can continue with the internship in Australia? Not to break bond, but delay bond.
runninghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Boyz_Zoo Male
Lord of Spams 2009
Wiki Contributor

#28 Old 25-03-2013 Default Re: Bond to JPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninghorse View Post
Hasn't been back here for a loooong period of time.

Just wondering if JPA Scholarship still available for the coming years or has it been terminated?

My question is more pharmacy-specific: Has anyone or heard of anyone who successfully delay the bond for one year so that he/she can continue with the internship in Australia? Not to break bond, but delay bond.
Well, I nt sure about pharmacy in Australia, bt I knw that it's possibly to delay your bonding. However, it's acceptable if you continue your studies to masters or Phd
Super Junior Member

#29 Old 26-03-2013 Default Re: Bond to JPA

There's this thing called TalentCorp which offers an alternative for you to pay off your bond at a (semi)private company in lieu of serving at a government sector (STAR programme, maybe?). not really sure though if it is 100% feasible or not, nor if this is a legit government plan to prevent the brain drain. :-/

nevertheless, imho, it is pretty clear that if you don't want to serve the country, you'd better opt for another scholarship instead in the first place. and if all scholars choose to stay overseas, how can we improve our country in the future? sure, we'll have a better life with big car, big house, big paycheck; but what about our cousins, friends, nephews/nieces, teachers etc. that still live in Malaysia?
froet213kil is offline   Reply With Quote
Dominic Male
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor
ReMag Writer

#30 Old 27-03-2013 Default Re: Bond to JPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by froet213kil View Post

nevertheless, imho, it is pretty clear that if you don't want to serve the country, you'd better opt for another scholarship instead in the first place. and if all scholars choose to stay overseas, how can we improve our country in the future? sure, we'll have a better life with big car, big house, big paycheck; but what about our cousins, friends, nephews/nieces, teachers etc. that still live in Malaysia?
Not everyone wants to stay overseas because of the 'big car, big house, big paycheck'.
Or hand to hold, or hell to pay,
What do you say,
What do you say?"

And thus laments the hopeless romantic that is yours truly.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominic For This Useful Post: