ReCom.org
Every Little Thing About Medicine Discussion for Doctors, Pharmacists, Potential Doctors, Patients and also Nurse :on Everything about Medicine!

Pharmacy

nwx86
Less Junior Member

#11 Old 18-03-2005 Default

yeah, I agree, not much have been said about pharmacy compared to medicine...so, can anyone tell me the differences of taking up a pharmacy course locally and overseas?
nwx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ixora
Less Junior Member

#12 Old 21-03-2005 Default

can anyone tell me what subjects we have to take under pharmacy?
Ixora is offline   Reply With Quote
nwx86
Less Junior Member

#13 Old 21-03-2005 Default

Do you mean the subjects required to enter the course? Usually its STPM or A'levels for Chemistry and 2 other science subjects like maths, physics and biology...but check on the particular uni...as some make biology a compulsory subject.

I wonder why this thread is so quiet? not much response received...
Youth
Super Junior Member

#14 Old 31-03-2005 Default

mayb not many ppl here r interested in pharmacy...hehe...
i'm interested...i'm now studyin A-levels...

hmm...
leng_cyl :
a pharmacy course isn't jus consist of chemistry...from wat i know, u'll also learn about microbiology, psychology, biochem & some anatomy...i think it's not the interest on Chem that makes a person like about the course...it's the interest on the course itself & the nature of the job....coz u'll be dealing with it the rest o ur whole life...

b4 really making up ur mind...i suggest u to expose urself to more information about the job of a pharmacist...u can try to consult counsellor of some private Us in Malaysia tat offer pharmacy course...like IMU...or mayb u can attend any education fair around ur town...

the SPM is already released...so wat r u doin now?? joining NS?? or waiting for the STPM list??

try to find out more about those jobs u r interested in...then search for the course that gives u the degree to pursue ur dream....after tat onli u match it with ur qualifications...

there r a lot of jobs related to Bio & Chem...some of the hot ones besides medic & pharmacy r :
1. biotechnology
2. biomedicine
3. food tech
4. nutrition science
5. biochemical engineering
Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Youth
Super Junior Member

#15 Old 31-03-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixora
can anyone tell me what subjects we have to take under pharmacy?
is this wat u want?? i found this on IMU website
http://www.imu.edu.my/course_pharmacy_cur2.htm

At IMU
Semester 1 :
Basic Mathematics
Biological Sciences
General Chemistry
Genetics for Pharmacists
Human Biology
Pharmaceutical
Organic Chemistry
Introduction to Pharmacy Practices
Statistics for Health Professionals
English
Pengajian Islam/Moral

Semester 2 :
Cardiovascular System
General Pharmacology
Haematology
Pharmaceutical Organic
Chemistry 2
Pharmaceutics I
Physical Pharmacy
Understanding the Patient
Bahasa Malaysia

Semester 3 :
Drug Metabolism
Natural Products in Medicine
Microbiology for Pharmacists
Pharmaceutical Analysis I
Pharmaceutics II
Renal System
Respiratory System Skills
Development: Extemporaneous Dispensing

Semester 4 :
Biotechonology
Complementary Medicine
Gastrointestinal System
Immunology & ADR
Medical Chemistry
Pharmaceutical Analysis II
Pharmaceutics III
Skills Development: Dispensing, Pengajian Malaysia

Semester 5 :
Central Nervous System
Endocrine System
Management for the Pharmacist
Pharmaceutics IV
Reproductive System
Selectives, The Pharmacist as a Healthcare Professional

Semester 6 :
Cancer Chemotheraphy
Clinical Pharmacy I
Clinical Pharmacokinetics
Current Trends in Therapeutics
Elective*
Forensic Pharmacy
Musculoskeletal
Toxicology

Semester 7 :
Research Methodology
Research Project I
Research Project II

Semester 8 :
Clinical Pharmacy II
Clinical Pharmacy III
Clinical Pharmacy IV
Evaluating Pharmacotherapy: Critical Appraisal, Evidence-Based Medicine & Pharmacoeconomics

* The Electives component may be completed either locally or overseas.
Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
leng_cyl

#16 Old 01-04-2005 Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youth
the SPM is already released...so wat r u doin now?? joining NS?? or waiting for the STPM list??

try to find out more about those jobs u r interested in...then search for the course that gives u the degree to pursue ur dream....after tat onli u match it with ur qualifications...

there r a lot of jobs related to Bio & Chem...some of the hot ones besides medic & pharmacy r :
1. biotechnology
2. biomedicine
3. food tech
4. nutrition science
5. biochemical engineering
I'm waiting to study form 6, still one month more to go....
thx for your explaination, now still blur about future but I don't think too much about it for now, since I think myself still not mature enough, I may find out what I really interesting in during form 6 hard life, hehe^^

-USM undergraduate-

My Blog ~ http://hedwigelaine.blogspot.com
leng_cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
caboodle

#17 Old 02-04-2005 Default

Hi, i m an imu student ,studying pharmacy sem 1 now, i believe every course has its own level of difficulty and challenges. For me, pharmacy is memang not an easy course to take.

There are 5 subjects in sem 1 that i m currently taking, foundation chem, bioscience, biopharmacy, physiology, and math.Please be informed that this is not the exhaustive list, coz there are other subj like microbio, pharmacology that u ll learn in following semesters..

SoI cant say much about other semesters now, i ll tell u guys more when i reach there.

But for me, yes, i believe in pharmacy you have to put in lots of effort, and you have to have passion in what you are studying. Appreciate it, then you ll be able to do well. And i have forgotten to mention that there are lots of lab reports that a pharm undergraduate has to deal with.. so learn to luv it ...

AS for pandaboy, there is no point regretting whatever course that u ve taken, learn to walk forward and not backward, because in life there is bound to be mistakes that you ll make, most importantly is your approach to it ..tada..

jingz85 *
pandaboy

#18 Old 02-04-2005 Default

Quote:
AS for pandaboy, there is no point regretting whatever course that u ve taken, learn to walk forward and not backward, because in life there is bound to be mistakes that you ll make, most importantly is your approach to it ..tada..

jingz85 *
Thanks... Regret but I'm still moving forward, don't worry.
By the way, I know who u r... Why aren't u registered?
pandaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Yae_Lina
Super Junior Member

#19 Old 13-04-2005 Default

Hi, everyone! I've just joined, so 'Sila banyak beri tunjuk ajar'

I'm a Pharmacy Semester 5 student from IMU & I'm transfering to University of Strathclyde, Scotland in June.

In my personal opinion, pharmacy is a very diverse profession. U can choose to work:
1. hospital (government/private)
2. community (open your open pharmacy or work in chain pharmacies eg Guardian)
3. industry/marketing (pharmaceutical companies eg PharmNiaga)
4. government (registration of medicinal products eg Biro or Lembaga Pharmasi Malaysia)
5. education
6. R&D
7. publication (eg medical journals)

Pharmacists (esp community) earn lots of $$. However, all graduates are required to do 1 year pupilage + 3 years compulsory service with the government.

Every course is tough, but u'll surely manage if u have interest in the subjects. But it's also very important to choose the correct course, if not u'll b wasting ur time & ur parents' money.

My mom wanted me to take a medical degree, but I freak out at the thought of internal organs. My 1st choice was actually Biotechnology, but pharmacy offers more oppurtunities.
Yae_Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
nwx86
Less Junior Member

#20 Old 13-04-2005 Default

Hi Yae_Lina, I'm also a Pharm student but not at IMU. I came to know that all Pharm graduates frm IMU have to come back to work in M'sia....do you know y? and what do you think of the new BPharm course IMU is doing now?