ReCom.org
ReCom Science Expo All the sciences that you need to know

Water rocket luncher

Muskat Male
Super Junior Member

#1 Old 21-04-2010 Default Water rocket luncher

I enter the school competition water rocket luncher. So I don't how to do . Do you know how to do ? please help me
Muskat is offline   Reply With Quote
matabumi Male
Less Junior Member

#2 Old 21-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskat View Post
I enter the school competition water rocket luncher. So I don't how to do . Do you know how to do ? please help me
ask google
matabumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Restl3ss
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#3 Old 21-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Do poke a little hole at the centre of you parachute to ensure the parachute can support the bottle smoothly.

Make a good wing so that the rocket can fly up straight.

But the key of flying higher is to add some plasticine at the cone to increase its' inertia. Shhhh.. this is s secret!
The Following User Says Thank You to Restl3ss For This Useful Post:
unsolvedcryptex Male
Slightly Senior Member

#4 Old 21-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restl3ss View Post

Do poke a little hole at the centre of you parachute to ensure the parachute can support the bottle smoothly.

Make a good wing so that the rocket can fly up straight.

But the key of flying higher is to add some plasticine at the cone to increase its' inertia. Shhhh.. this is s secret!
I dunno bout poking holes but i dont think poking holes helps. lolz

Good wing is important. I have one which fly so high that the champion school who before winning stole our idea and they become champion. SWT rite. the wing is like a shark fin. lolz. weird ritre.lolz

inerita? lolz. explain a bit la. its to actually make sure the cone that is covering the parachute will separate from the bottle so that ur parachute comes out.

I have a rocket which can fly really high but can never open its parachute. One thing u have to remember is to make sure the parachute opens and the parachute shud not open before it reaches its maximum height. Let it reach the maximum height and then the parachute opens. Not the other way. For this, I do not suggest a loose cone as this will make the parachute comes out even before it reaches max. height. Find ur own method. I saw one which put some erasers on top of the cone just to make sure that it increases the inertia. That is pretty safe. LOL

Btw, I retreated from joining a the last min bcz i gave up after i lost my fren's and my rocket. So i let him join instead wif a new partner. He used the same wing but he managed to let the parachute comes out. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to unsolvedcryptex For This Useful Post:
Restl3ss
ReCom Staff
Wiki Contributor

#5 Old 21-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

hey you! A good point of balance is required to ensure your cone don't fly out. You think everyone would put a stone in the cone like what you did and make the cone "divorce" with the body? To prevent that happen, my friends and I did use a non-sticky cellophane tape to tape it together. When making a water rocket, it's all about experimenting! But do remember to apply lots of your physics knowledge in your making, for example, friction, Bernouli's principle, and inertia.

And yes, a parachute is the most important part if you are competing in the longest hanging rocket part. In my opinion, thick plastic bags are not needed as they can be quite heavy. So just get yourself a thin and air-tight big plastic and that will do you good. (I used thick plastic bags when I made it last time. >.<)
The Following User Says Thank You to Restl3ss For This Useful Post:
Muskat Male
Super Junior Member

#6 Old 23-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolvedcryptex View Post
I dunno bout poking holes but i dont think poking holes helps. lolz

Good wing is important. I have one which fly so high that the champion school who before winning stole our idea and they become champion. SWT rite. the wing is like a shark fin. lolz. weird ritre.lolz

inerita? lolz. explain a bit la. its to actually make sure the cone that is covering the parachute will separate from the bottle so that ur parachute comes out.

I have a rocket which can fly really high but can never open its parachute. One thing u have to remember is to make sure the parachute opens and the parachute shud not open before it reaches its maximum height. Let it reach the maximum height and then the parachute opens. Not the other way. For this, I do not suggest a loose cone as this will make the parachute comes out even before it reaches max. height. Find ur own method. I saw one which put some erasers on top of the cone just to make sure that it increases the inertia. That is pretty safe. LOL

Btw, I retreated from joining a the last min bcz i gave up after i lost my fren's and my rocket. So i let him join instead wif a new partner. He used the same wing but he managed to let the parachute comes out. LOL
so what is the shapeof shark fins
Muskat is offline   Reply With Quote
BattleBoyz Male
Slightly Senior Member

#7 Old 24-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskat View Post
so what is the shapeof shark fins
The shape of the fins varies e.g.the triangles, trapeziums etc etc Even the shape of bottles matters in determining the distance travelled by the rocket e.g. coca-cola bottle, 100 plus bottles etc etc. The amount of water must be precise and it depends on your bottle too. As for the plasticine, I got use it for my rocket too and its for inertia purpose as what restless and unsolvedcryptex mentioned earlier and also its to let your cone be firmer to withstand the friction with air. For the parachute, don't use a plastic that is too large or else it won't manage to open up.

By the way, you doing a rocket for height one or distance one? Do try out both of them and you'll find out the one that work for height might not work for the distance. Good luck in building your rocket.

In short, experiment everything yourself.

Live your life to the fullest, for yourself and for those around you.
BattleBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
unsolvedcryptex Male
Slightly Senior Member

#8 Old 24-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBoyz View Post
The shape of the fins varies e.g.the triangles, trapeziums etc etc Even the shape of bottles matters in determining the distance travelled by the rocket e.g. coca-cola bottle, 100 plus bottles etc etc. The amount of water must be precise and it depends on your bottle too. As for the plasticine, I got use it for my rocket too and its for inertia purpose as what restless and unsolvedcryptex mentioned earlier and also its to let your cone be firmer to withstand the friction with air. For the parachute, don't use a plastic that is too large or else it won't manage to open up.

By the way, you doing a rocket for height one or distance one? Do try out both of them and you'll find out the one that work for height might not work for the distance. Good luck in building your rocket.

In short, experiment everything yourself.
My coca-cola bottle works the best. The old wan. Not the new type. Then all my frens followed me bcz they are simply amazed by my fren's and my rocket. We built it together and it flew the highest. So they copycat our idea to use Coke. The next day, every1 use Coke bottle except one guy who used another brand
BattleBoyz Male
Slightly Senior Member

#9 Old 24-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolvedcryptex View Post
My coca-cola bottle works the best. The old wan. Not the new type. Then all my frens followed me bcz they are simply amazed by my fren's and my rocket. We built it together and it flew the highest. So they copycat our idea to use Coke. The next day, every1 use Coke bottle except one guy who used another brand
Coca-cola was good but the kickapoo bottle worked best for me.

P.S. Just to clarify, parachute is not needed if your rocket is designed for distance but not height one. I think you also know it la.

Live your life to the fullest, for yourself and for those around you.
BattleBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
unsolvedcryptex Male
Slightly Senior Member

#10 Old 24-04-2010 Default Re: Water rocket luncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBoyz View Post
Coca-cola was good but the kickapoo bottle worked best for me.

P.S. Just to clarify, parachute is not needed if your rocket is designed for distance but not height one. I think you also know it la.
seconded. My fren used kickapoo and it was used for range. Total we have two rockets. i thot can oni use one rite? lolz dunno la i din go for the competition.