ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Cafe > Education

Education This is the place where we would discuss anything about education issues!!!

Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

lordbon Male
Less Junior Member

#1 Old 29-05-2012 Default Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Which engineering has better job prospect ? I heard that Shell doesnt need Chem.Eng !! issit true ? if given monash, nottingham, curtin and swinburne(all malaysia campus) which want u choose to go?
any reply is deeply appreciated !!

opinion anyone ? =)

Last edited by lordbon; 29-05-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
lordbon is offline   Reply With Quote
markwongsk Male
Developer

#2 Old 29-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbon View Post
Which engineering has better job prospect ? I heard that Shell doesnt need Chem.Eng !! issit true ? if given monash, nottingham, curtin and swinburne(all malaysia campus) which want u choose to go?
any reply is deeply appreciated !!
Shell, being an oil and gas company would be crazy to not need chemical engineers. In fact, as a Year One student I interned in Shell (MDS). I am of the opinion that chemical engineers have better prospects, although my opinion is not backed up by concrete facts. In the United States, for example, Chemical Engineers have a higher average starting salary than Mechanical Engineers'. I do not know enough about the campuses to comment on my preference.
Less Junior Member

#3 Old 29-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwongsk View Post
Shell, being an oil and gas company would be crazy to not need chemical engineers. In fact, as a Year One student I interned in Shell (MDS). I am of the opinion that chemical engineers have better prospects, although my opinion is not backed up by concrete facts. In the United States, for example, Chemical Engineers have a higher average starting salary than Mechanical Engineers'. I do not know enough about the campuses to comment on my preference.
thanks a lot for ur opinion? for the listed uni, which want would u go if you are me ?
johnconnor Male

#4 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

A bit of googling in student/education forums would provide you with a lot of insight regarding your query:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1997732
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2646

The latter isn't exactly about the universities you have in mind but the concept applies nonetheless.
johnconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
lordbon Male
Less Junior Member

#5 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnconnor View Post
A bit of googling in student/education forums would provide you with a lot of insight regarding your query:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1997732
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2646

The latter isn't exactly about the universities you have in mind but the concept applies nonetheless.
wow thanks a lot !!!! =) john, just a simple question?if u were to choose btw those uni, which want of it u will go? can u giv me ur opnion? =))
kaze
Less Junior Member

#6 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Quote:
Shell, being an oil and gas company would be crazy to not need chemical engineers.
Quote:
In the United States, for example, Chemical Engineers have a higher average starting salary than Mechanical Engineers'.
I agree with these two statements. But as a mechanical engineering student, I did an internship with ExxonMobil before and I know a lot of mechanical engineers work there

You might want to define what is "better job prospect" to you. I personally think that mechanical engineering is so broad, you can go anywhere/any field with a mechanical engineering degree.
Less Junior Member

#7 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaze View Post
I agree with these two statements. But as a mechanical engineering student, I did an internship with ExxonMobil before and I know a lot of mechanical engineers work there

You might want to define what is "better job prospect" to you. I personally think that mechanical engineering is so broad, you can go anywhere/any field with a mechanical engineering degree.
bro, thanks a lot for ur reply.better job prospect to me is like "can work around the world ' ..issit possible for fresh graduates to apply to work in singapore ?
kaze
Less Junior Member

#8 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbon View Post
issit possible for fresh graduates to apply to work in singapore ?
I have no idea. Let's see what other recommers has to say about this.

Commenting on the "can work around the world" part.. I think you have higher chance of doing this if you work for a multinational company. If you work long enough and have exceptional skills, I'm sure you can ask your boss for a "reposition" (is this the correct term?) in office in other county... that is as long as they have office in the country you wish to work in.

Last edited by kaze; 30-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
lordbon Male
Less Junior Member

#9 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

kaze, are u currently working ?
kaze
Less Junior Member

#10 Old 30-05-2012 Default Re: Mech.Eng vs Chem Eng

I just graduated last month ^^, And no, I'm not working and not currently looking for a job.

My comments were based on observation when I did internship, and also stories from my seniors.