ReCom.org
Portal Page Forum Wiki Social Groups Scholarship Holders Infobase Site Map About
Go Back   ReCom.org > Forum > ReCom Activities Hub > ReCom Science Expo

ReCom Science Expo All the sciences that you need to know

Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

qedx
Slightly Senior Member

#91 Old 17-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

Scientific American - The Latest Face of Creationism in the Classroom - http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...ism&print=true
Quote:
Professors routinely give advice to students but usually while their charges are still in school. Arthur Landy, a distinguished professor of molecular and cell biology and biochemistry at Brown University, recently decided, however, that he had to remind a former premed student of his that ?without evolution, modern biology, including medicine and biotechnology, wouldn?t make sense.?

The sentiment was not original with Landy, of course. Thirty-six years ago geneticist Theodosius Dobzhansky, a major contributor to the foundations of modern evolutionary theory, famously told the readers of The American Biology Teacher that ?nothing in biology makes sense, except in the light of evolution.? Back then, Dobzhansky was encouraging biology teachers to present evolution to their pupils in spite of religiously motivated opposition. Now, however, Landy was addressing Bobby Jindal?the governor of the state of Louisiana?on whose desk the latest antievolution bill, the so-called Louisiana Science Education Act, was sitting, awaiting his signature.

Remembering Jindal as a good student in his genetics class, Landy hoped that the governor would recall the scientific importance of evolution to biology and medicine. Joining Landy in his opposition to the bill were the American Institute of Biological Sciences, which warned that ?Louisiana will undoubtedly be thrust into the national spotlight as a state that pursues politics over science and education,? and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, which told Jindal that the law would ?unleash an assault against scientific integrity.? Earlier, the National Association of Biology Teachers had urged the legislature to defeat the bill, pleading ?that the state of Louisiana not allow its science curriculum to be weakened by encouraging the utilization of supplemental materials produced for the sole purpose of confusing students about the nature of science.?

<more>
qedx is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#92 Old 18-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

Hmm... when will people get the meaning of the term "theory" correct -.-

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Check out our ReCom wiki!
Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
chongkeat Male

#93 Old 18-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

Quote:
Hmm... when will people get the meaning of the term "theory" correct -.-
Erm, what do you mean? I thought it was used (somewhat) correctly in the passage above.
chongkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
vseehua
The Student
Administrator

#94 Old 18-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongkeat View Post
Erm, what do you mean? I thought it was used (somewhat) correctly in the passage above.
The creationists (and to an extension the media) had always skewed the definition of a theory(theorem).

Quote:
  • S: (n) theory (a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena) "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"; "true in fact and theory"
The next time someone says "just a theory," I will personally come and choke him out of his life...

It is always good to be naive, for when we cease to be naive, it is the end of life as we know it!

Do contribute by writing or editing the existing articles so that everyone now and in the future can benefit from it!
vseehua is offline   Reply With Quote
Neutral_pH Male
Less Junior Member

#95 Old 18-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

haha.....just a theory Choke me! Please choke me!
Less Junior Member

#96 Old 20-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

Why argue on this??haha..."The eminence of a great scientist, is measured by the length of timethat they OBSTRUCT PROGRESS in their field"!

Science cant give us truth...But science can only bring us nearer to truth...
Creation or revolution...I don really care...As long as I know where I am going to after death...that will be a relief!

A simple analogy and also a reminder:
The hand is showing the position of the moon. The hand symbolizes the language we use. Moon is the truth. Don't be too ignorant to take the hand as the truth and not knowing that that's the wrong one...

Last edited by jojyi; 20-12-2008 at 09:51 PM.
jojyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Shoblast
Slightly Senior Member

#97 Old 20-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

6 feet under, if you are lucky.
ReCom Addict
Administrator

#98 Old 20-12-2008 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

Cremation is more environment friendly.

I hate to go hostile but I feel that I have the obligation to reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojyi View Post
Why argue on this??
There are things that can't be 100% proven; there are also statements that are outright wrong. To claim that the need to converse about an issue is nullified on the ground of non-conclusiveness, is almost tantamount to [purposely left blank].

Quote:
Why argue on this??haha..."The eminence of a great scientist, is measured by the length of timethat they OBSTRUCT PROGRESS in their field"!
Please qualify your claim that the greater a scientist is, the longer he or she obstructs progresses. This statement might have been misguided by the stories of some misadventures of scientists in the past. Newton, for example, indeed hindered the wave theory of light with his bigotry and authority; but he was in no way a hindrance in the overall development of physics and even in optics. Though his personality was marred by arrogance and bitterness (read his story with Robert Hooke), Newton still made substantial contribution in these fields. And in any case, light turned out to have both particle and wave properties.

Quote:
Science cant give us truth...But science can only bring us nearer to truth...
This is a statement asking for a proof.

Quote:
Creation or revolution...I don really care...As long as I know where I am going to after death...that will be a relief!
(I suppose you meant evolution instead of revolution) The fact that you don't care doesn't mean a topic is not worth exploring, researching and learning. I don't care much about embroidery, but that doesn't mean that all tailors and knitters should give up their mastery and take up medicine instead.

Quote:
A simple analogy and also a reminder:
The hand is showing the position of the moon. The hand symbolizes the language we use. Moon is the truth. Don't be too ignorant to take the hand as the truth and not knowing that that's the wrong one...
I agree with Bertrand Russell: "Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality" While your analogy provides insights into the perils of bigotry, it does present with an inherent flaw: the moon's factuality should be examined just as much as the factuality of the instrument and language. The paradigm shift from the hand to the moon is a process that should not terminate just there and then - to claim that the moon is the ultimate truth manifests just as much bigotry as to claim the hand as the truth.

Last edited by youngyew; 20-12-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
youngyew is offline   Reply With Quote
qedx
Slightly Senior Member

#99 Old 04-01-2009 Default Re: Scientific and Religious Perspectives on Creationism / Evolution

http://www.nature.com/nature/newspdf/evolutiongems.pdf

Basically a summary of 15 articles published by Nature magazine on evolution over the last decade
qedx is offline   Reply With Quote
g1noah
Less Junior Member

#100 Old 02-01-2010 Default

[Post deleted by owner.]

Last edited by g1noah; 11-09-2012 at 02:28 AM.
g1noah is offline   Reply With Quote